TTC, Weight loss, and BFing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-21-2003, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I can't, in good faith, go into another pregnancy with this excess weight. However, I know I can't "diet" while breastfeeding, and we want to start TTC this summer - which is just around the corner.

What should I do? :
#2 of 12 Old 04-21-2003, 08:31 PM

Hi, I think the best thing you could do is figure out if you have unheathy eating habits. If you do change what you think is unheathy and walk with your little one.

I think diet is not a good thing at all for anyone exspecially someone who is bf.

Trying to figure out how to loose weight is so frustrating but any amount of healthy change is good.

I have changed my eating habit for the past 3 weeks. I have been exercising for at least 45 minutes 6 days a week and I have not lost a pound: I am going out of my mind every morning I say why bother because I do not see a differece on the scale. Someday hopefully soon I will.

Good luck to you.
#3 of 12 Old 04-21-2003, 09:04 PM

Exercise and healthy eating are the key.

Exercise - try to get moving, not just through formal exercise like walking/running/swimming/lifting weights but taking the stairs, parking far away from your destination, whatever you can do to get into motion. Excess weight is a matter of more calories consumed than burned, so the more calories you can burn in everyday life the better.

Healthy eating - really cut back on processed foods, fruit juices, sodas, candy, fast food, simple carbs like pasta, white bread, potatoes. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta in moderation, beans, lean meats (skinless chicken breasts, fish, ground turkey), and so forth. You can watch what you eat, even while you're breastfeeding - Weight Watchers for example gives breastfeeding moms extra calories while still setting overall calorie limits. Don't go on any fad diets that you can't live with in the long run.

Dancinggirl, it is too soon to be discouraged. 3 weeks is way too early to start seeing results from exercise; you need to stick with it for a good 12 weeks or so to start seeing some real results. Also, get a tape measure and take some measurements - upper arm, waist, butt, thighs - and compare measurements, not pounds on the scale. Particularly if you are lifting weights and building muscle, you can weigh the same because a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, but look very different in the mirror and have smaller measurements.

I think weight lifting is awesome, because once you put on more muscle that muscle mass burns more calories in a resting state than does fat, so it helps you lose weight faster. You don't have to have a fully equipped gym or join a gym to lift, either; a couple sets of small hand weights and a good tape like Joyce Vedral's can put you on the right track.

I of course need to practice what I preach; I have a healthy diet but it's hard getting time to exercise with a baby!! We did do an hour and fifteen minute walk today, so that's something at least.

There are a couple of weight loss and exercise support threads kicking around; check them out!

Edited to add: don't check your weight more than once a week, if that. Look at how your clothes fit, your energy levels, etc. for motivation. A healthy level of weight loss is a pound a week, don't set yourself up for failure by looking at the scale every day!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 12 Old 04-21-2003, 09:23 PM

Great post, Jane. I have lost lots of weight, but I did it GRADUALLY. It is a slow, but rewarding process. I think if you do it slowly, those healthy eating habits and exercise will become a way of life. JMO
#5 of 12 Old 04-21-2003, 09:40 PM

I have heard you can safely lose about 1lb a week while bf'ing. I also recommend, trying to cut out any junk food or refined flours and sugars out of your diet. I am trying to lose a few lbs also (though we just started to ttc #2). I found that making my own bread and baked goods has really helped. I use almost all whole wheat flour (w/ just a touch of white flour to get the bread to rise better) and a little soy flour. I love the way my bread tastes, and it's more filling that white bread. I've also started to make my own whole wheat pasta. When I get the craving for a treat, I make whole wheat brownies (w/ a little bit of soy flour to boost the protein). They are so good and much more nutritious than regular brownies. I've also made a huge effort to eat more veggies and fruits while reducing the amt of meat in our diets. I'm feeling better and watching the pounds come off (albeit slowly).
#6 of 12 Old 04-21-2003, 11:01 PM

Sorry I don't have time to fully answer your post, but look into "Eat Well, Loose Weight While Breastfeeding" by Eileen Behan. Eating a well-balanced diet plus exercise will help you to shed unwanted pounds, even if it goes much more slowly that you would like. Good luck!
#7 of 12 Old 04-22-2003, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Forgot to add - we're vegetarians and we don't eat convenience or fast foods - and mostly eat whole grains.
#8 of 12 Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 PM

for being vegetarian! It is possible, as I know all too well, to be vegetarian and still not eat enough fruits and vegetables, KWIM? For me, I really needed to cut down on cheese/dairy products, which I ate way too much of during pregnancy. I've done it, but it's still hard to get enough veggies in my daily diet!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 12 Old 04-22-2003, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

You're absolutely right!

I need to concentrate MORE on eating fruits and veggies and LESS on grains, I think - as well as less dairy.

It's so easy to fall back on the "easy" stuff. But, really, nothing is faster than fruit or raw veggies.

I hope now that berries are coming in season, I'll be better.
#10 of 12 Old 04-23-2003, 01:31 AM

I second the "Eat Well, Lose Weight" book, it's good and it really motivated me. I kept a food diary for about 2 mos and started exercising - that was all I needed to start losing. I never dieted, just was more mindful of what I ate and less junkfood.
It took over a year to lose the weight from my DD (she's 19 mos)but I'm finally at my prepreg weight from my first child (he's 4).
I'm still nursing 4-5x a day and since I knew I was TTC I wanted to start healthy so we're really trying to eat healthy and stay active-which is not hard with a toddler and 4 yr old! Mind you, even though I lost the weight, I still can't into my old pants-wah!

Good luck,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#11 of 12 Old 04-23-2003, 03:43 AM

I personally have a hard time with raw veggies. I keep on thinking I should like them, but I don't really. I am not a rabbit! So I steam them and eat them with a little salad dressing (good fats are good for you! really!) and I find I eat a lot more.

A recent favorite is sauteed spinach with raisins and finely diced apples....mmmmm. Also baby carrots are soooo easy.

#12 of 12 Old 04-26-2003, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too am a vegetarian who isn't a fan of vegetables. Cooked fresh veggies I can stand better than raw or frozen/canned. But I'd rather eat carbohydrates any day . . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page