saliva ferning question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-23-2003, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I know saliva ferning is not a popular technique around here, but there was someone who posted some great info several months ago, and I'm hoping maybe somebody can answer my question.

I've been using the Ovulens. Last week I had a nice run of 5 days of lovely ferns, just as the instructions say should happen when one O's, and I also had O pains right in the middle of that time. After those 5 days, my saliva went back to random dots. So far, so good!

But then, last night (4 days after the last ferns) I got ferns again, and they look different. They're much longer and a little straighter, the stems are heavier, and the side branches are shorter. What does that mean?? :

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#2 of 5 Old 04-24-2003, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Estrogen in saliva forms fern-shaped crystals. Thus, by using Ovulens or looking at your saliva under a microscope, you can see the estrogen peak that means you're ovulating. It's pretty cool!

Of course, estrogen levels can be high for other reasons, like a long anovulatory cycle (in which estrogen and LH [which is what's detected by urine OPKs] both go up and stay up for weeks as the body "tries to ovulate") or pregnancy. I've seen the anovulatory pattern before, but this time I had the nice clear 5 days and they started on CD14, so I'm very hopeful!

Maybe those different ferns are a sign of pregnancy?? Isn't there anyone here who knows?

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

#3 of 5 Old 04-24-2003, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i don't really know the answer to your question though my first thought was pg. I thought I read that somewhere but cannot find it now. Wish I could help more but in any event, good luck!!!
#4 of 5 Old 04-25-2003, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This sounds like the 7dpo estrogen surge. I have found that about a week after ovulation, I get ferning again, and that this is related to that estrogen surge. It doesn't last as long as the ovulation ferning.

For people who are interested in using saliva ferning for ovulation prediction, I have made a web page about it at http://www.geocities.com/~plomp/fertility/Ferning.html It still is a work in progress, but gives quite some info already.

Karen
#5 of 5 Old 04-25-2003, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Karen! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Sounds like the 7 dpo surge is exactly what I was seeing, since I got ferns 6 and 8 days after when I think I O'd. Now I can hope to see pregnant ferns sometime next week!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page