How long after stopping BC pills did it take for your cycle to normalize? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-23-2003, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know everyone is different, but I am wondering how long after you stopped taking birth control pills (for those of you who were on them) did it take for your cycle to get back to normal and for you to get periods?
#2 of 10 Old 04-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I am the worst case....years. Never did normalize until I finally stopped having period except for once every four or five months. I was on month 6 or so when I went to the doc and got pills to induce it.

So....it could be a while.
Sorry I don't have better news.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 10 Old 04-23-2003, 09:40 PM

I've been off the pill since the end of December (after 10 years of continuous use)....still waiting for my cycles to "normalize" although mine have not been that far off....

I'm in my fourth cycle now. The first was 28 days (as if I was still on the pill). The second was 32 days. The third was 31 days. I'm not temping/charting (yet) but just based on EWCM, my O'ing seems to be anywhere from 14-18 days. My second cycle off the pill I didn't have any EWCM.
:

I'm in my 4th 2ww now and praying this is "the one."

I'm drinking red raspberry/red clover tea 2-3x a day as recommended in Susun Weed's book to help regulate my cycle and promising myself I will NEVER use hormonal birth control again.

~Erin
#4 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 12:01 AM

Katia, I went off the pill three years ago and I never skipped a cycle ever, except when I was pregnant and immediately post partum. So, it really depends on the person. I hope it is quick for you.

Edited to add I was on it for nearly ten years.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#5 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 12:31 PM

I was on it for 9 years, it took me about 3 or 4 months to normalize...

It was so frustrating because two people I worked with went off the pill and I swear were pg like the next day.

It still took me 6 more months to get pg...
#6 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok! Thank you for the replies. I am hoping now. This has all got me feeling a bit low. My body feels so out of whack right now and no periods yet.

mama-wanna-be, raspberry tea helps regulation? Are there other foods or herbs that do?
#7 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 PM

Katia,

I'm pretty sure Wisewoman Herbal suggests Red Clover and Red Raspberry as effective fertility promoters. (I'm assuming that a fertility promoter is going to also promote regularity of the cycle but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My sister just came off the pill too (but not to get pregnant) and she is using vitex (sp?) to help regulate her cycle. I think there are others on this board that use that.

I'll check my book tonight and see what else Susun Weed says! Is there anything in TCOYF about diet/herbs? I'd check that too!

~Erin
#8 of 10 Old 04-26-2003, 01:51 AM

Our Bodies, Ourselves has a list of vitamins and minerals that can be depleted during use of the Pill & should be supplemented during use as well as when coming off, and Jeannine Parvati Baker's book Hygieia has a section called, 'if you're coming off the pill," which discusses emotional aspects as well as herbal/nutritional considerations. I think all this contributes to regulating cycles, as well as learning that normal, regular cycles are not nearly as regular and similar as cycles on the pill.
#9 of 10 Old 04-28-2003, 03:34 AM

I came off the pill in December and this month (month 5) is the first that I got several days of EWCM. I have also been a bit concerned that my luteal phase may be a bit on the short side (10 days). Hoping this month might be it but got a stinking cold right at ovulation which has thrown my temps out of whack so I am not that sure what is going on. Just have to wait and see I suppose .... : .
#10 of 10 Old 05-03-2003, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

I got my period! I know this doesn't mean I am ovulating yet, but this is a start in the right direction and is my first period off of birth control, so I am very happy about this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page