Back from my Dr appt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It went really well. My IF said that it's clear I have a hormonal problem above and beyond Bfing. Since I am back in the exact same pattern as when I was TTCing DD.

So instead of progesterone he thought I should just go straight to Clomid (50mg to start). I feel sooo optimistic as he thinks I won't need to go the IUI route again. He feels confident that w/in 6months I'll be PG. So anyway starting next cycle, I'm on Clomid (50mg) for 3 months, then if not PG 100mg (3months) then IUIs after 6 months of Clomid.

He also gave me a RX for some prenatals, cuz I'm going to need them

So that's it, I feel like God is answering my prayers, I'm being proactive and that feels good. And I don't have to wean DD

Oh I will also have an internal exam at O time each cycle to check my CM...make sure it;s not Hostile...(LOL)

#2 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 03:31 PM

That's wonderful news!! I didn't get such good news. Even though I have a history of annovulation, the RE won't see me again until we've been trying for a year and my midwife won't prescribe progesterone as a precaution in case I do get pg. We're just going to have to wait this one out and hope that we don't have the same problems as the first time.

Good luck to you!!
#3 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 03:34 PM

Good luck Jenn, sounds like you are getting all your ducks in a row.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#4 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What did your doctor say about BFing while on Clomid? Physician's Desk Reference (2000 edition) says it's unknown whether Clomid is excreted in milk, and it may reduce lactation.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am aware of it not being well researched, however everything that I could find and after speaking to people who have BF and used Clomid, I/we decided it was a good option for me. We decided this since DD is 17months and only BF once to twice per day. IF she had been younger and/or BF more often then Clomid would not have been something that I would do, kwim??

I also found that the sized particles of the drug are relatively large therefore it is unlikely that a lot of the medication gets thru to DD. IMO

Oh forgot to mention I researched with my LLL leader and found that she was/is a wealth of info on BFing and fertility meds.

I'm not saying my decision is for everyone but it is my decision and I feel good and confident with it
#6 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 09:12 PM

Why Clomid instead of progesterone? I'm curious what your pattern is that leads your dr to jump over the progesterone to Clomid. I'm seeing my IF dr this week and am looking to get progesterone. Can you share a bit more about your patterns/cycles? I'm curious to see if any of it would apply to me And I'm glad that you're feeling so good about things
#7 of 8 Old 04-29-2003, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I went this route (plus IUI) in 2001 to get PG with DD so I know my factors pretty well...

I have poor egg quality (due to past eating disorder), O rather late in cycle and have LPD (LPof 7-9 days)...

Let me know if you'd like more info on me
#8 of 8 Old 04-29-2003, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Sounds like you made a good decision about BFing. I just wanted to make sure you had thought about it. (I recently talked to someone who was starting an antidepressant while pregnant, and it had not even crossed her mind that it might affect her baby, which scared me.)

I'm curious how a past eating disorder would affect your eggs. They are formed before birth and don't mature until they're needed, right? Did your body strip protein off of them to avoid starving, or what? :

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page