How do I spit on this thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2003, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I just got a saliva microscope but I can't figure out how to get my saliva onto the thing. : The directions that came with it say not to lick it b/c that could scratch the lens. Weird, I don't have a pointy tongue, but I guess they would know better than I. So I tried to just spit onto it but that didn't seem to work very well either.

Please help this silly mama get saliva on my microscope lens!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 11:44 PM

I don't know how to either but I am anxiously waiting to hear from someone who does know how. I have had the best luck by pulling it off my tounge with my finger, but what a mess and half the time I miss the lense and just have spit on my clothes.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:04 AM

My directios say to get a drop of saliva from under your tongue on your fingertip and dab it on to the lense. I have tried that and have finally given up on the whole thing because I can never seem to see any ferns any time in my cycle!? Any input on getting good readings would help me a bunch.

Good luck.

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Old 04-29-2003, 12:57 AM

I have found that it is easiest to take a bit from underneath my tongue, with my fingertip, and then put it on the lens. Of course, that doesn't always work, sometimes it's too bubbly and then I get another sample instead. I put it on the lens, trying to get it in the middle. I have had quite some times that I thought it was in the middle, and it turned out it wasn't, so I would just look at the edge of the blob, which basically doesn't give any information.

I have a friend who uses a real microscope, and she just spits on it. So different things can work, and you might have to experiment to figure out what works for you.

I have a ferning page at http://www.geocities.com/~plomp/fertility/Ferning.html It shows some pictures of what saliva will look like at different times in your cycle.

Karen
Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I take it from under my tongue. I find that I'm more likely to get bubbles if I think, "Okay, salivate!" than if I just pick up what's there. I scrape it off my finger onto the edge of the lens, then spread it across.

I can never get a good enough sample first thing in the morning, because my mouth is too dry. What I do is make sure I don't eat or drink during my last hour at work, then collect the sample first thing when I get home. If I've had an afternoon snack, then I rinse my mouth before beginning that last hour.

If the dried sample looks completely blank, your saliva is too thin. Try again at a time when you haven't been drinking so much water. If it looks really crowded and complicated, your saliva is too thick. Next time take just a little sip of water first. The crowded look also can mean the saliva is pooling in the middle of the lens. Keep an eye on it while it's drying to see if this is happening (if the edges dry quickly but the middle is still wet after 15 minutes) and if so, tilt it until it's dry.

Those are my tips after 5 months of use. I think it's working right....

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 04-29-2003, 02:05 PM

That's a great site Karen. It helped alot to see what it "really" looks like!

Thanks
Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Old 04-29-2003, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Envirobecca and Karen,

Thank you both so so much for your very helpful responses! Now if I could just get some ferning in there....

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 05-02-2003, 10:27 AM

Gosh I forgot that I owned the ovulens! I ought to start using it again.

Anyway, when I was using it, I used a Q-tip under my tongue. Probably a little wasteful, but definitely easiest for me. I always had a hard time using my fingers.

Sara

User Tag List