BF affecting O? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2003, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know how BFing affects O?

Do you O every time (assume AF is back - which she is - has been for six months and very regularly) regardless of BFing?

We T'dTC after #2 while I was still BFing and it was a no-go for three cycles (we usually conceive on first attempt).

So, does BFing affect ovulation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2003, 03:02 PM

You know, I am wondering this myself. My feeling is that it does. My cycles have been
37, 30, 26, 32, 28, 27 . I am starting to think that I am not actually o'ing in those short cycles. I'm not temping though, so it's all speculation. It only took us 3 shots last time and so far it has been 7.

I think the committment to bf takes special patience with and understanding of your body. But, I don't have the definitive answer for you. A lot of us are finding that it is taking longer than expected

There is every chance your time will come soon. Good luck!

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:10 PM

The short answer is that it can The more quickly you get your cycle back ppd the better the chance is that you will have a few anovulatory cycles. So, a mom whose cycle doesn't come back until 12 months ppd is more likely to go straight into fertile cycles than a mom who gets AF at 3 months ppd.

And, the frequency and duration of b/f'ing can affect your cycle even after you get AF. So, if you get AF back and you're fertile but then for whatever reason your dc starts nursing waaay more often, it is possible to have an anovulatory cycle or to stop cycling for a bit. It's very individual!

If you chart, then you'll know what your body is doing
Old 05-08-2003, 05:25 PM

Frequent nursing keep estrogen levels down because estrogen dries up your milk. Your body needs surges in estrogen to produce follicles for O. Without the surges in estrogen, it's not likely that you'll O. That's how some women practice natural family planning...by nursing every 4-6 hours, day and night.

User Tag List