asthmatic mamas, help me out! (xpost with health& healing) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-08-2003, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Okay, so I made the very large mistake of going to WebMD and posting a question in their message boards about ttc and asthma meds.
I have mild exercise and enviromental (think sitting in traffic for an hour with the window open) induced asthma. Otherwise I am fine. I am currently on Serevent and albuterol. Have been on this combination for 10 years. It has always controlled my asthma and been just fine. Both of these meds are class c and not know whether they pass into brreastmilk.

The folks who responded, told me that my OB/GYN and my asthma doc should consult about it, and that I shouldn't be on serevent without an inhaled steroid (which make me very sick to my stomach). And someone added that her sis had 3 miscarraiges due to her asthma meds.
Now I am all freaked out.

I have been going to an OB/GYN for fertility stuff and he never said anything about my meds. My doc assured me that both were fine. And NO ONE has ever said anything about not being on Serevent without a steroid. Not in 10 years.

So, asthmatic mamas....did either of these meds cause problems for you? Did doc pull you off of either of them? Are they the reason why I am having trouble conceiving? AAACCCKKKK!!!! They just totally freaked me out.

Anyone that can help me out...PLEASE, I am so worried now.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 05-09-2003, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AdinaL,

I won't be able to help you much, but I'll tell you my experience.

I have asthma and take Pulmicort, Singular, and allergy meds (Claritin until recently when it got too expensive by going OTC). I also have an albuterol rescue inhaler, of course. Even on all these meds my asthma gets pretty bad 2xs per year when the seasons change (I live in a pollen-heavy subtropical climate). All that to say that is sounds as if your astma is not quite as bad as mine, and mine really isn't very bad (unless Severent is really hard-core?).

None of this prevented me from conceiving in the third month of trying. I took them while pg and I have nursed my son for 2 years now while taking these meds. I have noticed no negatives whatsoever. When I began ttc and broached these same type of concerns to my doc, she explained that class C means "pg women shouldn't take unless benefits clearly outweigh the possible negatives." She assured me that mama needing to breathe was far more important than any nebulous, possible, who can say type risks. In other words known risk v. unknown and perhaps even no risk. After some research it appeared to me that the meds I was taking were classified C because there was not enough evidence either way (due to not studies!), NOT because there was compelling evidence that they were potentially harmful. It was also explained to me that any of the newer inhaled meds (and to a lesser extent the older ones, as I understood it) were very limited in the dispersal throughout the body. In other words, they pretty much go into your lungs and don't really affect you systemically.

Sorry I don't know anything about Severent. If you go to the library find out if they have a current nurses' guide to medications in their reference section. If not, go to your local Barnes & Noble. They carry that kind of thing and you can look up what you need right there in the store. I find that since the nurses' guides are written for people with less medical education than doctors, they are usually more acceptable to those of us without any medical education. I used to work in nursing homes and always checked out any new meds I was prescribed in the nurses' guide.

Try not to worry too much. Especially about that miscarriage story. I'm sure you know this, but let me remind you that people will pass on all manner of twisted info. She may not have any idea what the real story is. For that matter, the woman's doctor might not have any real idea, may have just spouted that off to her. Who knows?

Disclaimer: I am not, of course, a doctor. I assume you will check with your doc on this when you have the chance, yes? I'm not one for going to the doctor when I don't need to, but I do believe in making use of their knowledge when it seems appropriate. And even if you aren't satisfied with your doctor's advice, at least it will be a starting point for your own further reseach.

Good luck.

Tracy

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#3 of 8 Old 05-09-2003, 10:40 AM

AdinaL, my asthma is exactly like yours-- I usually get flare ups after exercise, breathing in polluted air, hot weather (worse when combined with city air), and sometimes with my seasonal allergies.

I use an albuterol inhaler and Zyrtec or Claritin for allergies as often as needed; the ob/gyn I was seeing while I was trying to conceive & during my 1st trimester knew about all and said all were fine.

I switched to a midwife towards the end of my 1st trimester and she, too, agreed that they were all fine and that my need to be able to breathe was "worth" any *supposed* "risks".

#4 of 8 Old 05-09-2003, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

This is pretty much what I thought. I had discussed it with both my regular doc and with OB/GYN i saw a couple of times...neither of them saw any problems. These ladies just freaked me out....of course I had the thought that anyone who frequents an asthma message board, might be a little bit of a hypochondriac....or at least really like doctors.

BTW, Serevent is a 12 hour bronchdialator. It doesn't act immediately, but it lasts a good long time. When i am being good and remembering my dose every day, I rarely need my rescue inhaler, even when exercising.

Thanks much ladies!!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 8 Old 05-10-2003, 03:58 AM

I thought I'd post my experience....

When preg. w/dd, I was taking serevent for the first four months. Have had asthma since a child and only use med's as needed. It's very mild and I have only once had to go to the dr. for treatment when I had my meds.

Anyway, I did some on-line research when preg. that said serevent had been *possibly* linked to birth defects. NO definite results or something. Anyway, I totally freaked out and though my MW"s weren't worried about it, I switched to albuterol only inhaler and used that in addition to acupuncure, etc.

I never went back on serevent and only use now albuterol only.

OT: Another BTW, but since getting rid of our carpeting f(or hard-wood floors) while preg. w/ds, I *never* have to use my inhaler anymore. It's been three years now....and I've rarely rarely used it. Almost never. And I've had it for over 28 years!! (I mostly had it seasonally or around allergens.) The only time I started to get it back was when it'd been a while between washings of our small area rag-rug. Just an aside. I couldn't believe it since I considered 'my' asthma a part of me, almost.

ANyway, I was never prevented from conceiving while using inhalers though.
#6 of 8 Old 05-10-2003, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks! That was kind of what I was thinking too. Only going for the albuterol.
I WISH we could remove our carpets...but alas, we rent. That I am sure would make it so much better.
Hopefully soon we will be moving too....right now we live at about 6000 feet, and I am always better at sea level. And we want to move to Portland, so I am sure that would help.

thanks again!!

#7 of 8 Old 05-10-2003, 04:09 PM

Adina, do you see a chiropractor? Chiropractic clients have had great results in reducing or even eliminating asthma. I might be able to locate one for you...It sure would be nice to be able to lessen the medication effects on your body.

Good luck.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2003, 04:17 PM

i just read this in PREVENTION magazine:

Quote:
... uncontrolled asthma may be more harmful to a fetus than asthma that is controlled with daily medication- especially inhaled medication, which affects a fetus less than oral medication.
it goes on to say that babies born to moms who regularly have trouble breathing can suffer complications because when their mothers are not getting adequate oxygen, neither are they.

hope this was helpful!

love, jenny

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page