What is a Chemical Pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see that term alot and I just have no idea what it means.
Is it a real pregnancy?
Do we know what causes them?
#2 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 04:12 PM

I hadn't heard of it either until I started hanging out at MDC.

Basically, conception takes place but implantation does not.

It's pretty mind boggling, actually. And apparently pretty common.

eta: http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/ch...pregnancy.html

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#3 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 04:18 PM

most of the time people don't even know it happens because most people don't test until after a missed period and most chemical pregnancies occur and af arrives on schedule. For those of us who test early you can get a positive and then not have it implant.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#4 of 20 Old 01-22-2007, 04:21 PM

A chemical pregnancy is an early miscarriage, usually under 5 weeks. Basically, the egg is fertilized and implants just enough to cause hCG levels to rise (hence the "chemical" term), but the uterine lining still sloughs. Many times it can be related to a progesterone issue, but it's also often just a "fluke" that just happens (although I don't think that's a great word...I don't like the word "fluke" in the TTC world...).

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ok.
I thought implantation is what cause the pregnancy hormone.

I don't believe in fluke. It's not possible for just one person in 6 billion to do something. I believe in 'not common'. I also don't believe in 'You can't do that.'
#6 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 AM

The egg from the time it is fertilized releases hcg but until in implants the hcg has no way to get in our systems. It takes around 4 days for the hcg to reach levels in the body to be detectable from implantation.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2 View Post
The egg from the time it is fertilized releases hcg but until in implants the hcg has no way to get in our systems. It takes around 4 days for the hcg to reach levels in the body to be detectable from implantation.
Not necessarily...the amount of hCG released before implantation is so minute that it's rarely detectable. And in some women hCG can be detectable within a day or two from implantation.

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Last month I gave in to early testing because it just felt like I was pregnant again. I got a barely there, super faint, almost imaginary positive on 13DPO, then I got really sick on 14DPO, and my period arrived right on schedual on 15DPO. This period was super, super heavy.
Does this sound like a Chemical Pregnancy?
#9 of 20 Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM

I believe it would only be considered so if you had actually tested positive.

What I mean by this is yes, it COULD have been a chemical pregnancy but there's no way to know that if you didn't have a blood test to confirm hcg levels and then have AF arrive anyway. If your hpt was neg then I would say probably it wasn't but there's no way to tell.

If you're going under the assumption that you were pg in the summer and miscarried and then miscarried again last month, have you gone to your dr for an ultrasound to make sure the lining is buliding properly to try again?
#10 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Assumption I'm pregnant?
Why does a possitive blood test and a faint possitive on a HPT only qualify me for an assumption?
Whatever!!
That's an odd thing for one woman with a miscarriage to say to another woman with a miscarriage.
#11 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitttyKat View Post
Last month I gave in to early testing because it just felt like I was pregnant again. I got a barely there, super faint, almost imaginary positive on 13DPO, then I got really sick on 14DPO, and my period arrived right on schedual on 15DPO. This period was super, super heavy.
Does this sound like a Chemical Pregnancy?
I didn't see anywhere you said the blood test was positive, only that the hpt you took had a barely there almost imaginary line. I thougth that both were unconfirmed which is why I said "assumed", I didn't mean you to take it as you weren't, only that if you're having multiple miscarriages I wondered if you had been talking to your doctor about this as he would proabaly want to monitor your next one, and probably do an u/s - this has been my experience after one m/c.
#12 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Also, it's not so much a fluke as it is your body knowing when something isn't right. You'll have a chemical pregnancy if it implants but something is amiss. When your body knows that the zygote isn't developing properly, has chromosomal issues, whatever, then it will cause a very early miscarriage. So it's basically your body's form of quality control.
#13 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitttyKat View Post
Assumption I'm pregnant?
Why does a possitive blood test and a faint possitive on a HPT only qualify me for an assumption?
Whatever!!
That's an odd thing for one woman with a miscarriage to say to another woman with a miscarriage.
i understand that this issue brings a lot of sensitivity with it. BELIEVE me i do. But i don't think you need to jump on sarah's back. Looking back on your posts, you never said you got a + blood test or a definitive + hpt. And your chart doesn't say so either. So she was just going with the information you gave her. And please don't bring other's pain into the equation. You can't compare miscarriages. You just can't. And she was trying to help by asking if you had talked with a doctor. If you feel that you have had multiple miscarriages, but don't have much to go with to prove that...go in anyway! It never hurts to get checked out. My doctor told me there was NO WAY i was pg this last week...but i followed my gut and sure enough I was.

So go get yourself checked! More than likely nothing at all is wrong, but it certainly doesn't hurt to check.

I'm sorry for your losses. I know how frustrating it is. Chemicals are hard to deal with, but they are very normal. And if you have no infertility issues, then they should pose no problem in preventing you from getting pg again! Good luck.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#14 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I had a blood test in October when I had my miscarriage at 8 weeks. I got the blood work back AFTER I miscarried. I've mentioned this ALOT.
I also talked about my very super faint possitive last cycle in the 30+ TTC #1 post.
#15 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM

hmm. Well i apologize. I didn't realize that sarah new you from other threads. I was basing my information on THIS thread. Remember though that it can be hard to remember everyone's information. This is a very large site and it's very easy to get confused about who's who. I do it a lot!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#16 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 04:45 PM

I missed you saying it was a definite faint positive, I only saw your post about it in this thread. I don't recall ever seeing you say you had a positive blood test, I'm not saying you didn't say that either, only that I didn't see it (like jilly says, it's a very large site).

In any case, I'm sorry for your losses. My post was only meant in concern that if you were having multiple miscarriages that your doctor would probably want to know about it, it certainly wasn't meant a comparison from my end over m/c experiences.
#17 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 PM

If you get a line no matter how faint that is considered a and from what you described then I would say yes you had a chemical pg.

To be certain you would need more than 1 hpt tho because altho super rare you can see a line that looks like a but it is a evap line.

For example when I was ttc my dd I got a at 10dpo I mean very faint then again on 11,12,13 dpo they were 2 same brand test and 2 other brand all super faint. AF started 14dpo and that day I also got a super faint that is how I know I had a chemical.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#18 of 20 Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
Not necessarily...the amount of hCG released before implantation is so minute that it's rarely detectable. And in some women hCG can be detectable within a day or two from implantation.
With a blood test yes 2 days is possible I was refering to hpt tho And I said around 4 days so that is giving or taking some days.

#19 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Wow, this is turning out to be kind of a strange thread.

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#20 of 20 Old 01-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Ladies, I have removed the personally pointed posts from this thread. I ask that you take personal issues to PM, and leave them off the board.

Please, in cases like this, ask for clarification, stop reread and phrase things more gently. I know emotions run high here, and things can be taken out of context.

Please, if you have a concern, PM me. This board is meant to be supportive, and friendly. If you feel someone is having problems, let me know. Thanks.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page