How long can sperm live inside a woman's body? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, let me say that I've never had a pg scare, and I'm probably not having one now, so I feel a little silly for even asking this.

Dh and I use NFP. It's relatively easy because my cycles are always 28 days and I always ovulate on cd 14. We've been married for 4 years in July and NFP has worked well for us so far. The only times we've gotten pg are when we were TTC. We generally abstain for a 6 day period from cd 10-16 and consider ourselves safe. No worries.

For some reason, this month I O'd on cd 11. I'm positive of it. Dh and I had 'done the deed' at 11pm on cd 7. So, depending on what time I O'd on Thursday, the sperm was 3-4 days old. Is there any chance I could have conceived?

Ds is 16 months and I hadn't planned on TTC until about 10 months from now. I would prefer to have them 3 years apart. I wouldn't be devestated if I were to get pg now, but I would be a little disappointed. Ds has been so high needs that I'd like him to be a little more self-sufficient before #2 comes along.

Anyway, I'm rambling here. Unfortunately, it is my nature to worry, and this is one thing I've never dealt with before, so if someone could tell me what to expect or think I would very much appreciate it.

TIA,
lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#2 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 11:16 PM

There is a small chance that you could have conceived. Sperm can live up to 5 days in ideal conditions so your cm would have had to be ewcm and all the planets would need to be in alignment (okay, not really ) but, yes, there's a possibility.
#3 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 11:18 PM

I agree with Milkfacemama, 5 days in good sperm-friendly conditions.

Good luck!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#4 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 11:56 PM

They CAN live 5 days in ideal conditions. 2 to 3 would be much more likely though.

best wishes to you.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2003, 03:31 AM

sperm can live up to 7 days in the right conditions. i teach fertility awareness, and though most books will tell you up to five days there has been studies that show sperm living to 7 days and longer. Several years ago there was an artical in Scientific America *i may have the title slightly wrong, called Sperm Wars (there is also a book) and it discusses how long sperm can live and the conditions they can live in.
I have a student who had sex nine days out from ovulation. She is due in December. I saw her chart, she ovulated nine days after the last time she had sex, and that was the only time they did it. She was more than shocked!

Kim
#6 of 7 Old 05-18-2003, 11:16 AM

9 Days...Wow! I was amazed to end up pg after 5 days

Laurie

#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2003, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!!! I was thinking sperm could live 3-5 days myself, but just wasn't sure.

Our family is heaing down to the beach for vacation on May 30th. Af is due on June 2nd. I have 3 First Response pg tests that a friend gave me for Christmas (as a joke), so I'll probably use one before we head down there.

I seriously doubt I did conceive. I guess time will tell. I'll update you when I know anything.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page