Waiting to TTC while being treated for depression... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-19-2003, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(sigh) Well - that's it - I'm officially "depressed". :LOL Okay, I can laugh about it now, but this is two weeks into meds and I'm feeling much better.

However, I mentioned to my Grandma (whose opinion I respect more than anyone else in the world and is very much a mother to me) that my oldest keeps bothering me to have another babe. (Which we were intending to do anyway). She casually replied that maybe I should wait until I was "healthy" (since I confided in her about the depression). She suffered from depression for years and had 8 children and one miscarriage. But, she also said "I wouldn't prevent anything, but I also wouldn't try to make something happen" (being a good Catholic and all)

So, that got me thinking - I agree, I probably should wait until I'm a little less overwhelmed with the three I've got...but can you really stifle the yearning for another babe around? I mean, really, in just three months my oldest will be in full-day kindergarten...and the three year old will be in preschool two mornings a week. Right there will be a tremendous change from what it is now - all three home with me all day.

So, what do you think? Should someone wait until depression has been "treated" - I mean, my Dr. said this would probably be a 6 month stint of meds, so should I wait until I'm past that?
Or, should we go ahead as planned (Dr. also knows we're not using contraceptives and was supportive).
#2 of 2 Old 05-20-2003, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have experience with depression and treatment and experience with TTC-ing but not both together....but I still thought I'd stop in and say hello.

I was treated for depression for six months three years ago (actually I chose to remain on anti-depresants for a full year after I started feeling good, just to be safe - I wanted to experience all the seasons, get past the anniversary of my trigger event etc.) and I continued to see my psychiatrist every 3 months...then twice a year...then once a year. Now he's a phone call away if I need him, but I'm doing great!

Depression treatment can be intense. It was for me anyway. I'm not sure I could handle it while riding the TTC roller coaster. I needed a lot of space for counseling, journaling, exercising etc. while I was in treatment and these are things I continue to make time for.

But I also have a friend who have TTC'd and was pregnant during treatment and it was a positive experience for her so I'd say follow your heart.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way!!

~Erin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page