If you have an SO, do you and your SO deal with ttc differently? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-27-2003, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SO and I have very different ways of coping with emotions in general in life, and these days with the tttc (we're not ttc right now) rollercoaster.

I don't have too many friends where I live yet (we just moved here last August), especially friends around our same age, so I don't feel like I have others to share my unique tttc experience with. Do others have this same dilemma? And if so, how do you deal? It's not a huge problem for me, but it does weigh on me every once-in-a-while.

Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-28-2003, 05:29 PM

Sierra, hmmm. I had to think about this for a while. My dh is very, very sensible about most everything, even TTC. He understands that I am more "emotional" about the process, and he tries to shield me from this (such as trying to stop me testing, trying to keep my hopes down etc). Most of the time he is like a rock and his style complements mine very well. I have found that him, together with the support of the people on this board, really makes the whole process easier for me.

So, no. I don't get all the support I need from my husband. I too am not telling friends or family. The pressure is too high and I find it too stressful. I like to keep things to myself most of the time, so this is not a big deal. Also, most of them live so far away, it is easy for it not to come up.

If you feel that you would like friends to talk about it with (apart from us of course, where you are always welcome to chat ttc) maybe you could explore a parenting/ mothering group in your area. Or you could try emailing an old friend, even if they are not nearby.

It can be a pretty emotional time and it's great to have some different kinds of support, depending on your journey. I guess this goes for everything, not just TTC.

and good luck!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#3 of 3 Old 06-04-2003, 05:55 PM

I thought I was going to go crazy when we were ttc#1. DH really helped me keep my sanity, but we ended up going to counseling anyway. His philosophy was that it will happen when it's time. Well, it took 19 cycles and us buying a house for it to finally be time. This is our second cycle ttc#2. Hopefully this one will be a little easier than last, but if not, then I know that I have his support and a shoulder to cry on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page