input, please: ovulated, no period, not pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone offer advice from professional or personal experience, please? I am really freaked out about what might be wrong with me.....

I am charting and TTC. I am almost positive I ovulated this month (CF, membrane, and ferning, but not temperatures). My last few cycles have been very long. I am now 11 days late (from 2 weeks post ovulation) and have been feeling ill (with early preg symptoms). I had a negative pee test (which also happened when I was first pregnant with my dd), but just had a negative blood test, too.

So I am not pregnant, I guess, but I have no idea why I haven't gotten my period or what might be wrong.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 04:42 PM

My only guess would be that you geared up to ovulate but did not ... you said your temps did not show ovulation, right? Did your blood test happen to also test progesterone? From that I think they can tell if you ovulated. If your last few cycles have been long, it's quite possible that you didn't ovulate yet, or at least didn't ovulate when you think you did.

Hope you figure it out!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Yeah, it's possible to have the pre-o symptoms but then not ovulate.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 03-26-2007, 04:48 PM

maybe take another home preg test? I just met a mom yesterday who thought she was pregnant - took a home test (NEG), had her blood drawn (NEG). her ob told her she was not pregnant. 2 more weeks went by without her period and she retook a home pregnancy test and was pregnant!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks you very much for the replies. so, this doesn't sound like something else extrmeely concerning other than that i possibly didn't ovulate?

if i haven't ovulated and therefore don't bleed, how do i know when to start charting the next cycle starts, and therefore when to anticipate ovulation next?

daniusa, i am wondering if that might happen in the end. i hope so.
when the neg pee test happened when i was in fact pregnant my dd, i was further along than i would be now if i were pregnant. (so this, aside from the fact that i have successfully been pregnant before, makes me still a bit hopeful.)

i don't know if progesterone was tested. good point...i will ask.

i haven't successfully charted my temperatures this time around TTC, because i get up at different times everyday, have been sick, etc, so i can't get a steady read.

thank you again. two of my closest friends are newly pregnant and following this along with me, so it makes me even more anxious (and envious...if i am being honest with myself.)
Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
if i haven't ovulated and therefore don't bleed, how do i know when to start charting the next cycle starts, and therefore when to anticipate ovulation next?
If you haven't ovulated, you're still in the same cycle. You will be until you ovulate and then bleed (or confirm pg). If you bleed, THEN you start the next cycle.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM

If you check out my charts you will see that my body gears up to ovulate: breast pain, O pains, wet or even EWCM, temp dip, positive OPK, but I dont ovulate until another time. I know this because my temps stay low. It usually happens several days when I'm not paying attention or given up.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Your next cycle won't start until you start to bleed and that will be CD1. This might throw off your o date a bit, but counting from the day you bleed I'd expect it around the usual time. Amenorrhea can be caused by multiple things. I went 5 months without a period before I conceived DD. AF still never showed. The doc gave me progesterone to start AF, and AF never started - I was pregnant. So, if not pregnant you're probably lacking in progesterone. You can get a script for it from the doc, or if you are like me and like to try a more natural approach first, you can try vitex to even out your hormones. That could also make cycles more regular. You won't want to start anything until you find out for sure if you are pregnant or not. So, give it a little while longer. If not pregnant, and still no AF, I'd go in and see about the progesterone pill to get you started. Then, after AF starts, I'd do the vitex.

HTH!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 PM

As well as the build-up/nothing/build-up/nothing/build-up/O/pregnancy or bleed possibility, you can also simply not ovulate in a given cycle. Then you'll experience anovulatory bleeding, which is exactly like your regular period.

CD1 is *always* the first day of bleeding. That means the first day of real bleeding. I could see someone who was very comfortable with her cycles and body chosing to use a day of spotting as CD1, but I've never heard of that.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Without knowing your history or seeing your charts, it's hard to say what could be going on. Are your cycles normally regular and just recently started getting long? Increased stress or illness can be enough to stop your body's pre-ovulation preparations and delay ovulation itself. However, if you have always been irregular, there could be other things going on. I have PCOS, and when I'm not being treated, my body frequently tries to ovulate but then doesn't.

I hope AF shows up quickly!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, everyone. very helpful information.

and to answer...prior to my first pregnancy, my cycles were very regular and never longer than 32 days. i never missed a period, nor ovulation during the time i was charting, which was more than a year. i quit charting for a long time, and had a long anovulatory stretch while breastfeeding (well over a year). when we decided to start trying again late last year, i resumed charting. since then, i have been aware that my cycles have been longer than before my first pregnancy. (between 34-40 days.)

thanks again. and good luck to the rest of you trying, too.

User Tag List