Does BBT confirm that ovulation actually happened? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2003, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi all,

i've been using ovulation predictor strips to pinpoint my fertile days. however, i know that it is possible to have an LH surge, but not actually ovulate.

i'm wondering if BBT is similar. that is, can your temperature rise, though you have not actually ovulated? or is the temperature rise a direct result of the ovulation, and thus pretty conclusive proof of ovulation.

i've never done bbt. and i'd really like to know for SURE if i am ovulating.

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

i just did some google research (i should have done that first).

i guess it does confirm ovulation. maybe i need to get a thermometer.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try using fertilityfriend.com. A lot of ladies use that site to input their bbt's and it gives you a really nice chart. And, you can input the results from your opk. They have a very helpful online handbook.

I think that the predictor strips detect the LH surge right before O, but your bbt rises right after. You should start bd'ing when you get the darkest opk, but once you see the rise in your bbt, it's too late.

Hope you get your bfp real soon!
Old 06-08-2003, 11:05 PM

If I were you, I would definately start temping. Also, do you have a copy of TCOYF? I would recommend that as reading as well. When you buy your thermometer get a BBT. Sign up for fertility friend and you can track your cycle and notice any thermal shifts that you have which determine ovulation. I believe you get a free 30 day VIP trial which includes some added features. I started temping before I wanted to TTC and realized that I was ovulating earlier than I thought. With my ds I had a textbook 28 day cycle in which I ovulated on CD14. We got pregnant right away without temping or OPK. Because of nursing, my cycles were kind of wacky and I was ovulating early in my cycle (CD 11 or 12). Good luck!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:33 AM

actually nothing is a guarentee except for visualization by US that the egg has left the follicle. There is a condition called LUFTS ( I think that is the acronym) where the egg isn't released but becomes a corpus luteum. In that case it would result in a temp jump (since that is cause by progesterone) but no egg released. But generally if you get a ++ OPK and/or a post O temp rise it does indication that you O'd.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

thank you!

Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 AM

Hi Francy,

Generally, your tempterature rises when the body releases progesterone, just as Adruinna said. Do you notice any cerivical fluid during the time your temperature rises? You can check each time when you use the restroom, and this will provide a good crosscheck for you. Knowing your body's full fertility signs will help you and your partner better understand what is going on in your body. I guess I'd recommend going to see a doctor, but don't rule out the role proper nutrition plays in fertility. Our bodies respond to all sorts of this: stress, sugar, caffiene, fatigue, etc.

TCOYF is a good read, as is the Art of Natural Family Living. They have some sample charts, with detailed notes on just about every type of fertility cycle.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:00 PM

I would def. start temping/charting. I love being sooo in tune with my body!!!!! TCOYF is a great book!!! Fertility Friend is great to start out with , but not always accurate, so you may have to check up on it. I use Ovusoft (affiliated with TCOYF) and it seems to be right on the money about my days, etc.

User Tag List