If your using a microscope... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2003, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind are you using? How do you like it?

I want to get one but I don't want to spend a fortune. Toys R Us has a kids microscope for like $15. Would that work?

Thanks!

~Erin
#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2003, 01:53 PM

Hey Erin, I use an ovulite microscope. I think it cost me $30. The magnification on it isn't as strong as some but you can definately see ferning when it is there.

I use my microscope as the 4th indicator to determine O for me. I find it a little confusing, like I got some ferning (I called it partial but if it would have been around "O" I probably would have said it was full ferning.: ) at cd4 while still having my period and then today cd5 none!? I think cm, cp and temps are probably a lot more reliable until you really get the microscope system down. I have looked into a lot of microscopes for my education and it still confuses me. It is real cool to see the ferning pattern when it happens and it definately made me realize I had a very late O when I wasn't charting temps cycle before last.

All and all I think it is good to have but not really necessary if you are checking cf, cp and temps. Unless, those don't point to a definite O time, then the microscope can help with those cycles.

The children's microscope would probably work. You want at least 40X magnification. The only thing you may want to think about is that it isn't really efficiently portable and if you do any traveling the small microscopes are great to thrw in your purse/bag!

I hope I didn't confuse you. I think I confused myself.:LOL You have to forgive me I have been up since 4 this morning. My dog finally had her puppies! 8 so far, and I think she is done. Phew!

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#3 of 5 Old 06-13-2003, 06:28 PM

I think the cheap microscope might work, and if not, you can just save it for when your kid is ready for it :-)

I have found the ferning very helpful as an extra indicator, but not always totally clear cut. I am still blown away by the beauty of my ferning saliva though. It is really cool to watch the patterns change during my cycle.

Karen
#4 of 5 Old 06-14-2003, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies but now I'm kinda thinking that if the ferning stuff is pretty confusing....maybe I'll hold off on the microscope.

Last cycle (which was my first charting) I took my temp and checked CM. I told myself that if didn't happen...this cycle I would add CP. But now I'm sort of weirded out about about checking my CP.

Not exactly sure what my problem is. I guess it's just something very new and I'm kind of weirded out about feeling my cervix.

Sorry that "weirded out" is the best term I can come up with. I don't want to say "grossed out" because it's my body and I don't find it gross....but well...I've never felt around in there....I'm just not sure what to expect.

Does that make sense? Anyone else hesitant to start checking CP? Any pointers?

Sorry.....thanks for listening to all my

~Erin
#5 of 5 Old 06-14-2003, 10:24 PM

I think it is normal to be "weirded out" at first about checking your cp. It is different thinking about feeling your cervix. I think once you do it a few times it will feel just fine and you will wonder what the big fuss was about at first.

It can also be a little confusing to start with as your cervix can move throughout the day so, like temps., you should try to check it at about the same time each day.

I found that I am still trying to differentiate between med. soft and hard... The high, low thing I have gotten down but that took a little while also. The sooner you get started the sooner you will have your baseline figured out.

Happy cervix hunting :LOL

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page