Vitex and breastfeeding... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-24-2007, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read on kellymom that vitex is safe while breastfeeding...anyone have any first hand experience? My cycles seem regular 28-30 days and I have temp shifts, but my LH never really peaks (per OPK) and I thought I might give it a try.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Well, I am breastfeeding my 16 month old 42 zillion times a day & night, had been TTC for 6mos., started taking Vitex & a B6 complex & we conceived that very cycle like magic! I was having trouble with long cycles & short LPs myself.

Good luck!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#3 of 6 Old 04-24-2007, 12:12 PM

I've heard some moms mention that it lowers their supply. I don't have that problem. DD is almost 21 months and I'm still leaking milk under the right circumstances. I'm dealing with a long cycle right now, and what I believe to be estrogen dominance. I'm taking 1,000mg in capsules. It can take up to 3-4 months to take effect. I think that is going to be my case with it - or so it seems.

HTH!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 AM

It increases mother's milk after childbirth. In one study, vitex significantly improved milk flow and milk release for nursing women when compared to placebo. Vitex is most helpful if milk flow is low after childbirth. (Ask a lactation consultant if you're unsure.) European research confirms its safety for breastfeeding infants.
#5 of 6 Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

I have been taking it for a week and I have noticed a very small drop in supply (when I pump at work) but my ds has also started nursing less and eating more solids, so I am sure which came first. Either way I think it is working out fine.
Thanks

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#6 of 6 Old 05-02-2007, 03:34 PM

come join us in the nursing mother's ttc thread. there are a couple moms there that use it. as far as the reading i've done the only risk is a drop in supply is possible.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page