How do I find my cervix??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like such an idiot posting this question. This is our 4th month ttc, and I swear I have never figured out where my cervix is, exactly. And I look for it several times a week.

I've read lots of stuff online, but they always just say to insert your finger to feel your cervix. I don't feel anything! I know I have a cervix, obviously, and my OB/GYN has never noted anything out of the ordinary. How do I know if I'm touching my cervix versus just touching the wall of the vaginia??

I can't believe I'm so out of touch with my body. (Um, so to speak.)

Any tips or advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Please be graphic - I need help. :

:

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Ok first of all the easiest 2 ways to feel for your cervix is to either squat or sitting on the toilet once you choose which way you want to feel for it stick with that position so that you can acuratly keep track of what it is doing. OK once you've determined that you want to insert your middle finger (bc it is the longest finger) into your vagina and push it in there till you feel a bump you may have to push your finger in there quite a bit depending on what CD your on but once you feel that bump then you want to feel around it push on it a bit to feel how soft/hard it is and the opening if you've never had a child will just feel like a dimple more than an opening, but take note of how "open" it feels as best you can. The more you do it the faster it will be cking it and you won't even have to think about it. I hope this helps
#3 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM

#4 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
Any tips or advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Please be graphic - I need help. :

:
Thank gaaaaaaaaaawd you posted this! I can't find mine for the life of me either!!

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#5 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellymay View Post
OK once you've determined that you want to insert your middle finger (bc it is the longest finger) into your vagina and push it in there till you feel a bump you may have to push your finger in there quite a bit depending on what CD ...)
So do you need to put your finger in straight, or curve it to the back. I know for the "g-spot search" you push your finger forward (towards your pubic bone)

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#6 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - your explanation made more sense to me than even those baby center links!

To clarify, should my finger be straight - like to I insert it straight up? Or at an angle? Or do I need to hook my finger?

I'll try it sitting down becaues I've only done it standing up at this point.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#7 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Haha!!! Joshs'Girl, we were posting the exact same question at the same time.

I don't feel so alone knowing that you can't find your cervix either!

#8 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 PM

It's important to remember that, in the same way our eyes and noses are all shaped and situated a bit differently on our faces, so too are our cervicies (is that the plural?) situated differenly in our vaginas. Some people's will be off to the right or left, some will be WAY in there, some much closer to the vaginal opening. My favorite piece of advice for finding the cervix is this: while it may be hard to know what you're feeling with all the lovely soft mushy tissue inside your vagina, the cervix generally feels like the tip of your nose, and nothing else in there is that firm.

Hope this helps.
#9 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 PM

another good way to think about it -- your cervix is where your vagina ends. in other words, if your vagina is a tunnel, your cervix is the the only landmark at the end of the tunnel.

if you're sitting on the toilet, you'll probably be leaning forward to get your finger all the way in there. let your finger curve with the natural direction of your vagina (just like inserting a tampon). when you feel a "dead end", swirl your finger around until you feel a mound or a bump or something that feels like a nose . you will find it. it's bigger than your finger tip.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#10 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Haha!!! Joshs'Girl, we were posting the exact same question at the same time.

I don't feel so alone knowing that you can't find your cervix either!
Great minds myzymurgy!!

Okay, so is it possible for your cervix to be so high that you couldn't feel it? Or conversely, for your fingers to be too short?

(Yes, I totally just went to the bathroom and checked! And, I am at peak fertility now, so my cervix would be high)

#11 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs_girl View Post
Thank gaaaaaaaaaawd you posted this! I can't find mine for the life of me either!!
I second that! I never have found mine either! I thought I was just a ding-dong. This makes me feel much better.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#12 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM

While it is possible for the cervix to be in a place where the fingers couldn't reach, I think that with persistance and position changes, most women can eventually feel their own cervicies. Also, it's a general rule that tall women have tall vaginas, and so if you're tall with short fingers, it might be even more of a stretch to reach the cervix.
#13 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Try squatting
#14 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
So do you need to put your finger in straight, or curve it to the back. I know for the "g-spot search" you push your finger forward (towards your pubic bone)
You just push it in there and follow it the same way a tampon goes in. It kind of goes towards your back
#15 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Great minds myzymurgy!!

Okay, so is it possible for your cervix to be so high that you couldn't feel it? Or conversely, for your fingers to be too short?

(Yes, I totally just went to the bathroom and checked! And, I am at peak fertility now, so my cervix would be high)
Yes it is possible if you sit on the toilet and can't feel it at all then try squatting then feeling for it that helps it to be a tad lower and makes it a little easier to feel.
#16 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 PM

this is hilarious. i am imagining all of us squatting and contorting trying so hard to find our cervix...with a look of intense concentration on our faces.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#17 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesface View Post

this is hilarious. i am imagining all of us squatting and contorting trying so hard to find our cervix...with a look of intense concentration on our faces.
#18 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are giving awesome advice - thanks so much. I've tried it on the toliet and squatting (and, yes, I probably had that very serious look of intense concentration on my face! I didn't find anything. I tried to carefully just follow the natural path of my vagina like I was a tampon. (what a strange hobby I've picked up today.) No luck. DAMN!!! I do have rather short fingers, though... and it is CD 12 for me, so maybe if I wait until after O it will be in reaching distance.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I'll be referring back to this page again and again, I'm sure.

-desperately seeking cervix

#19 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 07:34 PM

I've never found mine either. I have to admit I've been a bit timid about it. My GYN said it is pretty far back, and it seems she has to try kind of hard to find it. It might help clue me in though.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#20 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You guys are giving awesome advice - thanks so much. I've tried it on the toliet and squatting (and, yes, I probably had that very serious look of intense concentration on my face! I didn't find anything. I tried to carefully just follow the natural path of my vagina like I was a tampon. (what a strange hobby I've picked up today.) No luck. DAMN!!! I do have rather short fingers, though... and it is CD 12 for me, so maybe if I wait until after O it will be in reaching distance.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I'll be referring back to this page again and again, I'm sure.

-desperately seeking cervix
You could very well be Oing and that is why you can't reach it. Try straining a little and see if that helps to bring it down a bit where you can feel "the bump" LOL
#21 of 41 Old 04-25-2007, 07:49 PM
LCB

Hi girls, I saw this and just had to post. I had the most trouble finding my cervix! There are times of the month, near o'ing when I cannot feel it because it is up too high. The only time I can actually reach it is when it is down lower at other times. Even then, sometimes my most sure sign that it is low is if my hubby, er, bumps it when we DTD. Sorry to be graphic at you. Anyway....sometimes it IS possible to not be able to reach!

Me, a husband, a social butterfly 2008, and a cheeky monkey 2011

#22 of 41 Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 PM

I just recently found my cervix after many "spelunking" adventures. I found the easiest way for me is sitting on the toilet, rotating my hips forward and bearing down ( usuually AFTER you go potty ) Bearing down brings my cervix down ALOT. If I dont bear down I only feel a soft area that feels like the end of an egg ( but much softer) and cant feel anything else...but Continue past that up higher and you should feel a horizontal slit/ opening . My cervix is usually always open enough for the tip of my finger to fit into the opening. I insert my finger straight then slightly hook it ( back towards your abdomen....not towards your bum)in when I have it inserted all the way.
#23 of 41 Old 04-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchyandsweet View Post
I just recently found my cervix after many "spelunking" adventures.
Well after this thread, I might actually be confident enough that I'm not the only one out there with a goofy look on my face while spelunking for a cervix to actually try again!! ... We'll see what I stumble upon....

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#24 of 41 Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 AM

I found it!!!!

I found my cervix!

:

Thanks to whoever said bear down - that did the trick for me! It was really obvious what it was when I found it as well.

#25 of 41 Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I found it!!!!

I found my cervix!

:

AWESOME!!! YEP BEARING DOWN DOES THE TRICK THANK GOODNESS I GOT CREATIVE ON ONE OF MY "SPELUNKING" ADVENTURES AND FIGURED OUT HOW TO BRING MY CERVIX DOWN ENOUGH TO FEEL THE DARN THING :
#26 of 41 Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 AM

I still can't find mine. Help!

I sat on the toilet, I squatted on the floor...nothing. I put my middle finger in all the way. I tried bearing down, but what does that mean exactly? Like when you're going to the bathroom?

And to the person who said to rotate your hips forward -- does that mean so that your pelvis moves up? Or down?

I'm so confused! I feel so dumb.

I'm going to go try one more time tonight, but I'm getting a little sore from all this poking.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#27 of 41 Old 05-16-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I was getting sore from all the poking too!! I'm afraid I won't be much help to answer your questions, but I bet someone more cervix-savvy will be along.

In this past month of exploration, I've learned that the only time I think I can feel my cervix is when it is at it's lowest point - right around the time I'm hanging out with AF. It's much much smaller than I expected. It feels like a little nub...like not much bigger than the tip of my finger. For some reason I thought it'd be much bigger. Like penis-head sized.

Did I feel the right thing? Is a baby really supposed to pass through that???!!? : I'm not convinced I found the right thing.

I still can't believe how clueless and out-of-touch with my body I am.

#28 of 41 Old 05-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
cough...That should do the trick...I can't ever find my cervix till I cough..Someone recommended this too me and it worked like a charm.Shot right up against my finger.

Good luck....
#29 of 41 Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 PM

I have the opposite problem. Mine is so low it feels like it is barely in there. (I think) Now I'm not sure if I'm feeling the right thing....

FWIW, I don't think I'm ovulating so I wouldn't expect it to be high. But a little height would be good.....

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#30 of 41 Old 05-16-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
cough...That should do the trick...I can't ever find my cervix till I cough..Someone recommended this too me and it worked like a charm.Shot right up against my finger.

Good luck....
Sounds easy enough...thanks for the tip! I'll try tonight.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page