TTC#1 in our 30's May Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kemi!!

Have you checked your vaginal/cervical PH? I see you have EWCM, but if you are still acidic, it might be taking out a lot of the sperm before they can reach the egg....

I'm starting to use PreSeed this cycle for that very reason. I haven't checked my Ph, but oddly enough, I'm pretty certain I'm acidic - I'd like to think it's the reason I only got caught 'once' - when I was on a diet that would have DEFINITELY shifted my body's Ph. It's also the reason that I think I will only have girls - X sperm are more resistant to an acidic environment.....

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Kemi - sorry sweetie.

AF came to visit me today too... Happy Birthday to me... (Christina, would you change the front page to 36 for me today? AMA - great...)

I was having a bit of a pity party - this is getting old. But... it's a long weekend so I might as well try to have a good attitude and enjoy my birthday and having 4 days off.

DH is making me breakfast as we speak.

suzywan - hang in there sweatheart. I can empathize, this month was so hard to wait... You'll make it!

: :
Red_lil_Mamma - congrats!!!!
: :
Old 05-26-2007, 03:45 PM

jasmine - sorry to hear about your loss. i've had a least one "chemical pregnancy"...and it was almost as hard as the 8 week m/c since we had, of course, started dreaming and hoping, and seeing ourselves with a child... it didn't change my cycle at all...and i've heard it was the same for many others.

suzywan - we are in the same boat. i almost tested this morning, but reminded myself that i can save $5 by waiting 24 hours. funny how i don't mind testing 10dpo, but when i get closer to the day of af's arrival, i just can't do it.

kemi - i will probably be looking into the sperm count test also. let me know if you have any recommendations.
with a snap shot judgment based on the way you describe your life - your positive outlook, incredible job, health changes, and relationship, it sounds like you are affirming your decision to become a mom. if it's true that children choose their parents, you've probably got a long line of candidates. (someone just needs to streamline the paperwork so at least one of them can get through!)
Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM

Aw, Jen and Kemi, .

Jen, I say pshaw to AMA. You're healthy and your baby will be healthy Happy birthday and happy long weekend! Maybe you're having Day 1 of your 40 weeks right on your birthday... how cool would that be?

Kemi, the home SA is a good idea -- Christina posted some great links before to kits that come with microscope, so that you can check repeatedly over a few weeks/months. I hope you have a good, relaxing weekend. I'm jealous of your massage!

Christina, I'm thinking of you

Kiya, you should test your pH with a litmus test! I've got a super-cool visual of you with a kid's chemistry kit I'm pretty sure we used PreSeed the month I got pregnant (isn't it pathetic that I'm not even sure? All of our different TTC tactics kind of blur together.)

Jasmine, I'm so sorry .

Suzy, I can totally empathize with your thermometer woes. But, thermometer trust issues aside, your chart is looking sweet

Nony, I quit coffee for a while while trying to TTC, but, just like Dee, I got pregnant after I reintroduced it. I'm still drinking it now, but only a cup or two a day.

Michelle, woo-hoo for crosshairs! And for an awesome sounding weekend -- I have gardening envy

Frog, your midwife's plan sounds like sage advice! I could do with implementing a few of those points myself

phillybama, the reno photos are great! It looks like you're doing an excellent job. There's something so satisfying about being responsible for the way your house looks and works

Freya, welcome!

Rain, it's so nice to have you back here! Your experience at the dermatologist sounds terrible... I hope you're feeling better soon

Hi to anyone else I missed

As for me, I'm still don't fully have my head wrapped around this pregnancy thing... my symptoms have been pretty minimal (which my Mom says runs in the family, yay genetics!) so it's a weird time, intellectually knowing I'm pregnant, but not feeling/looking much different from usual. All I can do is keep on keeping on, though!

I hope you all have a great weekend
Old 05-26-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

<Pokes head in for a quick post>

I wanted to say : to Jen. I'm so sorry that af showed up today. I hope you have a nice birthday otherwise.

Kemi, I'm sorry to hear af showed up too.

Kemi and rain, xenon mentioned the links I posted earlier. We ended up using this one for the SA - it wasn't bad. It did end up costing $145 with the shipping, I was a little annoyed about that, but we got the results very quickly and didn't have to deal with any more stubborn doctors.

This is the other one, with the microscope. It looks pretty cool.

Hi xenon! Thanks! I'm thinking of you too.

Welcome Freya! I’m sorry to hear about your loses.

Nony – I can’t really answer your question about coffee, because I am intolerant of caffeine as it is, so I don’t drink any. I even try to avoid regular tea.

Phillybama, I’m enjoying your pics. I like the ones of Eastern State Pen. I’ve actually never been inside.
Your house looks gorgeous. I love the window shades

Oh yes, the library accepted my book! I had to pay a $10 restocking fee, but that brought me just to the list price – so it looks like I saved $10 doing it my way.

Ooh frog, please let me know how the mayan massage goes. I’ve read about it recently, and was considering it. I decided to try acupuncture though, and made an appt for next week.

We went to visit my sister and her family last night. We looked through old family photos, it was fun. I was very close to telling her that we're having trouble getting pregnant, but for some reason I didn't. I didn't really get much time in private with her. As we drove away, I wished that I had. Well, maybe next time.

I got an invitation for my cousin's baby shower in a few weeks. I didn't know she was pregnant before that. I'm really not sure if I want to go, mostly because I know all my aunts will be asking me when am I going to have a baby, and I really just don't want to break down in front of all of them. But I do know that my cousin had a couple miscarriages, and I can't even imagine all of the grief that she has been through, so I really don't want to hold my grief against her, kwim?

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
Old 05-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Hmm I'll be joining this thread in 4 years. I just turned 26 and DH and I had a serious conversation last night about when we will be financially ready to have children (since when we are determined for me to be a SAHM), and we realized it will be close to 5 years. By financially ready I don't mean money stockpiled in savings, I mean that DH's income is enough to make our mortgage on our shack, afford ONE car, make the minimum payments on our debts and still be able to afford organic groceries and some type of health coverage.

This conversation has honestly made me slightly depressed since last night. Since I was a teenager I always pictured myself being married with my first child by age 20. I got married at 23, but now won't be having children until at least age 30. I think it's just my biological clock ticking, but please re-assure me it won't be terrible for my body to wait that long to have my first child. I know we are capable of it, but I hear so much about our peak fertility being at 21-25.

Then again, when I really think about it...the time will pass quickly and when our little ones do arrive they will arrive to eager, happy, secure parents. We will have lived our adventures together (we went to Europe last summer and would like to go again one day before having children) and be really ready to settle down. I've just never been the career-type women who has always intended to post-pone having children, so I gotta look at the bright side haha.

Anyone else who has waited this long to have children out of necessity, not just choice?

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Jasmine, Kemi and Jen

: Jen! I second Xenon's suggestion that your 36th birthday is the first day of your 40 weeks. Have a margarita for me, will ya?

Kemi & Kiya - I've been pregnant 3 times but the first 2 were chemical. Each time I got preg I was using Preseed, and I didn't get preg when I wasn't using it or was being too stingy with it (trying to stretch 3 tubes instead of going for 6). I love the stuff.

Nicole I would venture to say that many of us waited to have children because we wanted to be in a better financial condition or finished with school or in secure jobs. There are lots of reasons to wait and they're valid. My biological clock ticked pretty loudly on a yearly basis beginning in my mid-twenties (I'm 32 now). It sounds like you have a good 5 year plan worked out. May I suggest a puppy? It always worked for me! :

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:57 PM

dee - wow...i can't believe you are already so far along! i'm so excited for you! thanks for the preseed info. i ordered some months ago, but haven't even opened the package.

jen - happy birthday! i'm 36 also - soon to be 37. i went into depression mode when i realized late one night a few months ago that the youngest i could possibly be at the birth of my child is 37.. how did this happen? didn't i just turn 25? then...all the real stuff finally kicked in. most of the wonderful moms i know are "older" moms (some who consciously waited to have children in their 40s), and if i had had a child with the partner i was with in my 20s/early 40s, well, i'll put it lightly, it just wouldn't have been a good idea.

my advice is to stay away from all the literature about everything changing when your body passes the age of 35. our bodies don't know anything about that - but they will respond to our thoughts and actions. stay healthy and happy - and let yourself be loved!

christina - thanks for the sa info. dh will like the microscope idea..
good luck with acupuncture. i've found it very effective for stress...and i got pregnant the month i started going last year. i haven't been back because my acupuncturist temporarily closed her practice.
i would probably shred your cousin's invite. just kidding! who knows, the shower might be insightful - or healing...or you could always leave early!

xen - i hope you enjoy a very easy pregnancy all the way through!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, just in case....

I woke up at 4:30am to go to the bathroom (: ) so I took my temp right away - 97.6 - then took it again cause I though the tip/sensor was a little cold from sitting in a draft - 97.7.

The I went back to bed for 3 hours - woke up at 7:30 took my temp again cause I had been asleep for three hours and.......98.3!!!!! WHAT????

Okay everyone, I checked with TCOYF and she says to use the temp upon waking even if it is earlier than usual. So I should probably use the 96.6, but I've never *seen* a 98.3 before.

What do you all think?

Breasts still tender, though I can't tell if as much as yesterday, and no sign of spotting or AF.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

Boy, that sinus infection knocked me out. I didn't temp while I was sick. Or, I temped during the rest of the day to see how high my fever was, which is totally different. I never run a fever and I got all the way up to 99.96. After seeing bbt's for so many months, that number was terrifying. It was nice not temping. I also skipped today since I woke up at 4:30 to pee (why would I drink 2 glasses of water before bed? nobody knows.) It was so early I had to wait a few minutes to even pee so I could get inside of my fertility monitor window. But I was glad I waited. It went up to High today. We ordered our swimmers for Wednesday, which should be just in time.

I've been gone so long I don't think I can truly catch up, but I did want to try!

Welcome to all the new folks, Noni, Rain, Freya and anyone I missed. May your stays be short and sweet.

Frog - Welcome back. Love your blog!

Kemi - welcome to the knitting world. It's a wonderful place. I second the Knitty recommendation. I'm a big maker of mistakes--I don't think you can ever get past that. And thanks for the stats.

jencat - so sorry about AF but happy birthday anyway. I do find that ttc makes birthdays a little sadder. But as others have said, not everyone's body is the same. It's not like your body has some alarm that goes off and makes you high risk. Keep positive and don't read all the negative press out there.

Christina - I know how you feel about baby showers. We did go to one a few weeks back and I was nervous about it beforehad. We were in the tww and feeling pretty emotional, but it ended up being filled with such positive baby energy that it really revitalized me. Of course, it was a non-family event, so that changes the emotional dynamic a lot. Anyway, the friend the shower was for had a tough miscarriage last year followed quickly by this pregnancy, so it was joyous to see her doing so well.

Nicole - We also waited to ttc based primarily on finances. Since we are dealing with donor sperm, the money issue was even bigger. I have to say there's a part of me that regrets waiting so long. And then there are other parts that know we made the right choice to be secure before entering parenthood. Good luck to you. I second the puppy idea. We ended up with basically a zoo while we were waiting!

Suzy - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

It's good to be back. Hope everyone is having a great long week-end!
Old 05-27-2007, 02:10 PM

suz - i can't wait for you to test!! (sorry):

af arrived with bells on around midnight last night. i don't feel sad or frustrated... but more driven to stay on task with job changes (trying to get that finalized to some degree) and projects around the house. and...just appreciating every moment with my sweetie.

welcome back jentina.

i'm off for a jog...in the rain....when will it ever stop??

*i recently ran across another thread on mdc where the talk was about using dp=dear partner in place of the dh=dear husband so that those of us with female partners, or male partners that we are not married to, will not feel excluded from particular conversations. i had to laugh at myself because all this time i thought dh=dear honey...and was therefore universal. any thoughts on this?

ok...jogging now.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:13 PM

Morning everyone!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday! It turned out to be a nice day. I was pretty introspective and kinda depressed during the day but then I got all "hottie-d" up and DH took me to a nice italian restaurant on the ocean for dinner and we had a really nice time! I can tell my hormones are changing already and we'll be gearing up for lots of GIO soon! (Dee, I had 1 1/2 Mojitotini's instead of a Marg for you. Is that ok???)

Thanks too for telling me I'm not "OLD." I waited this long to have kids for a reason. And I'm still glad I did. We not only wanted to be financially stable but also emotionally ready. And we wanted to spend some time alone before bringing kids into our situation. (We also have a lot of pets who we give love to!) I know I'm a healthy person. And hopefully nature will take care of getting us a healthy baby. Or giving us strength and love to take care of a special baby. Or, if we don't get a baby, give us the love and strength to help kids who are already on this earth. We'll just have to keep waiting to see what life brings. Patience, grasshopper!

Suzywan - sounds like you should use the 96.6. But don't worry about if it means anything or not. Blood will be the only sign (or a + test tomorrow!) Can you do something today to keep your mind off ttc!? (Yeah, right!, she says!)

Rain - how are you holding up? Anyone else getting ready to test tomorrow?

jentina - gearing up to O again! Cool!!! :

Going to be a lovely day again here in paradise! I hope everyone else gets good weather too and has a love-filled, productive day.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the hugs and words of encouragement. I'm going to look into ordering some preseed today though it won't be shipped until Tuesday. I may be a bit acidic so anything at this point that will give us success will be nice. DH took the sperm count test this morning. We used Baby Start and it basically only does the count, not the motility. It's kind of like an OPK where if the test port is as dark or darker than the control, then you have 20 million sperm/mL. DH's came out DARK so I know that he is shooting enough sperm. I'm going to do the preseed just to cut back on the acidity and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion Dee and Kiya!

Jencat: Happy belated birthday! I just wanted to let you know that you're NOT old! That whole AMA over 35 stuff is just crap! 150 years ago when a woman of 40 had a baby nobody batted an eye or made it seem as if she was a ticking time bomb. : I do have a nice story to tell you. I met a wonderful lady who lives on my street and she's 50 years old. She has a 12 year old daughter, her only child. When she got pregnant at 38, the docs were acting like she was going to burst into flames at any moment. Not only did she have a care free and low risk pregnancy, she had her baby 3 hours after her water broke, unmedicated and with no other help besides someone there to catch. And this was after catering a party for 150 doctors at the same hospital that day (December 24th). She told me the docs had a surgical theater ready to just do a c-section because they thought she was too old to push her baby out. She certainly showed them that 38 is NOT old and that our bodies are not lemons. So there you go. Take this story and know that you are perfectly capable of having a wonderful pregnancy and birth.

Hello again to everybody. I'm going to order the preseed. I'll let you know how things are from time to time.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Well, bugger me....... I got a and I didn't believe it, so I took another test and got another

I am freaking out!!!!!!

Thank you to all you wonderful women, for your time and patience in answering my questions and all your encouragement. I just don't know what to say :

Except......HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENCAT!!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 PM

Haha Suzy I knew your thermometer wasn't the "problem"!

Congratulations on your & I'll be sending sticky thoughts you way!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Rain - sorry to hear about AF coming to town. Sounds like you are taking it ok tho. But if you feel like it, have yourself a little pity party. Sometimes, (am I sick for saying this) it's kinda fun. It's like letting your anger out, maybe it has to be done a little so you can feel better, ya know?

I'm up for DH (dear honey) or DP (dear partner) or whatever... I guess I'm used to DH by now but I'm very plyable!

Kemi - thanks for the story! I'm hoping for such a wonderful PG and birth story as your neighbor.

DH (we'll call him this for now!) and I had a very productive day woodworking. Our goal is by June 3 to put up all the door trim in the kitchen and laundry room. And we seem to be on target. But I am looking forward to doing some "gardening" tomorrow and harvesting my compost!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:19 PM

: : :

Congratulations suzywan!!!

: : :
Old 05-27-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks for all the warm welcome! Stayed away from the computer for the most part this weekend- spent most my time in the garden and getting things all aired out- live in an old house here in Japan and the mold sets in like crazy!

I really thought that I had gotten back on cycle after the D&C madness bleeding for 32 days straight! Seemed to O on/around the 14th day, had a 28 day cycle. However, felt like it was O time this month on day 8 and positive OPK! : Temp seems to kind of show it too on FF. Guess I cannot take one cycle's regularity for granted! Three week wait anyone?

Wow, Kemi, can you just easily buy a sperm count test at the drug store in the US? We will be there this summer, and plan on looking for that.

Despite the setbacks, I am hopeful that spring/summer will bring great things for us!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! :

Congratulations, Suzywan!

That's such great news!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Congratulations Red_lil_Mamma and Suzywan! What wonderful news!

Happy Belated Birthday jencat!

to all with AF visitations.

Nicole, I will concur with most of what has been said about waiting to TTC. I didn't decide on a career until I was 27, and then had to go to grad school for 2 1/2 years. Also, we were living in NYC, and having difficulty affording it. It wasn't until we moved to Philly and bought a house that we finally felt "ready" for an addition. I am really happy that we waited. I had some doubts, but I feel like I am finally at peace with who I am, and because of that, I am a much more patient and understanding person. I think that is the kind of person that makes a great parent. My parents had children at a very young age, and I look back and see that most of the "mistakes" that they made with us were due to immaturity and stress due to having little money. I hope that doesn't cause the age debate to flair up! My father had a horrible temper in his 20s (as did I!), then he really mellowed out in his 30s. I am just like him, so I always told myself that I would wait until I mellowed.
Also, when I am asked my relatives why I have waited so long (they all had children in their teens and early 20s), I make sure to mention that I don't have the family net that they have down there. I am the only one, even in my extended family, that does not live in the same town. When someone has a baby down there, they have several nearby relatives to help out with things like babysitting. I don't have that here. We are alone in this. I have to be sure that we can afford daycare and babysitters. That is an added stress that many in my family have never had to deal with.

Sorry for that long explanation!

Oh, so before I forget, the 2WW is driving me CRAZY!!!! My breasts have been tender for several days now. I have never had tender breasts for that long, but I keep thinking that my body is just playing evil tricks on me. :
Plus, I haven't heard of anyone having symptoms so soon after O. BTW, I am 6 DPO right now.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, suzywan, Congratulations!!!:

Rain,

I'll be back for a longer post later.

Looking good, Aimee!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Congrats SUZYWAN!! YAAY!

I just stopped by to spread some babydust around this thread!

I've been a very bad graduate by not checking in! Hope you're all doing well and I'll try to keep up from now on!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 AM

Happy Tuesday!

My temp just dropped, so maybe implantation?:

We had a pretty uneventful weekend. I think the highlight was the small Memorial Day parade that went down our street.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
Old 05-29-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Aimee, that could be a very good sign. :

Judy, I saw you have a peak reading today! Woohoo!

Michelle, how are you feeling? :

for everyone who started a new cycle this past week. I am just finishing up af myself. I’m glad to be moving on. Cheers for another month together. I hope this is it for all of us.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:18 AM

Hi guys-- I wanted to check in, as I'm starting trying this week! I will be 30 in 2 months, so although i don't technically belong here, I thought it would count as the closest fit. I'm on day 9 of my cycle, and hoping very much to have a quick conception.

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 AM

Thanks so much for the congrats

I am just stunned - I can't believe it's true - neither can SO

I never ever ever thought it would happen this fast :

May you all have the best of luck in the coming months!

OMG I'm having a baby! in Vermont!.......in February

Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 AM

Suzywan-- that's perfect timing-- it's what I'm hoping for! Think how glad you'll be for the extra weight/warmth in the cold, and then how glad you will be to have an excuse to stay inside through the last dregs of winter!

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 PM

True, Cicely, I hadn't thought of that.....

But, what I'm worried about is the fact that I really want a homebirth and yet I live atop Mt.Snow Drift. This last Feb. we were stranded for *2 days* due to a blizzard. God forbid anything goes wrong and we can't get out in a hurry.....

But, my midwife lives just down the road and she has a lot of experience with this stuff, so I'll just wait until I talk to her to start worrying. Please who am I kidding, I'll never stop worrying again

Old 05-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Your midwife can walk to your house? Buy her a set of snowshoes for emergencies! or a sleigh?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM

: Congrats Suzy!!! :

User Tag List