Exercise while TTC?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I know it is good to exercise and keep in good shape while you are TTC but someone had told me that you should really be careful b/c you don't want to get your heart rate up too much b/c it is not good for fertility?! Anyone else ever hear this rumor?? Also, they said the same thing is true for DH too??? My DH and I have just started an exercise routine before we go to work every morning so I was just wondering... Anyone know???

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#2 of 10 Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 AM

Unless someone can post a link about the heart rate and TTC then I will continue to excerise and TTC .. My heart races when we are DTD so what is really the difference.. I would think it would help with the blood flow and so forth. Plus I notice that I have more ECM when I excersise vs when I don't.
#3 of 10 Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM

My DH and I lift weights at the gym 4 days a week, do cardio at the gym a couple times a week, and walk our dog for an hour a day. We just got a so it can't be that bad for fertility! Actually we've stepped up the cardio this month too -- my DH is going to be cimbing one of the cascade peaks in a few weeks, so we both have been doing the step mill at the gym carrying a 25 lb pack (for me -- he carries a 45 lb pack!) Anyway, I haven't heard about that, but that is our experience!!!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#4 of 10 Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 PM

there is no evidence of this being true. Being healthy, active with low stress levels is only going to aid your fertility (unless it's the case where the mom is really lean).

When you are pregnant the thought is that you don't want your heartrate over 140 because of the THEORY of blood being decreased to the placenta and increased to your vital organs. This is also unproven, and there have been some small studies of running moms who have higher birthweights on their babies then average.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#5 of 10 Old 05-03-2007, 01:18 PM

I have heard that you should continue exercise at the same level as before TTC. I can't tell you where I heard that, though, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

I walk 25 miles a week and also paddleboat about 3 hours a week. I've done this routine for years, the only thing that varies is the 3 hours of outdoor activity which is dictated by the season.

I am overweight, so I feel it is especially important for me to be as healthy and strong to compenesate for any damage my extra bodyfat could have. I can only imagine a healthy lifestyle will help me when trying to concieve. Or... I hope it will.

I think the only exception would be if you are excercising to the point of losing your period (as some professional athletes do). Obviously, then it would be impacting your fertility.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#6 of 10 Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM

i've always heard that it's good to exercise when ttc. makes sense to me - good for energy flow, mood, etc. for women who are below 18 BMI i've heard it can affect fertility, but as pp said if you're ovulating i think it's probably okay. i've been wondering and trying to research this a bit since i'm doing a 1/2 marathon next week.

once you're pregnant, i think it's good to do low impact exercise, or to continue whatever routine you're used to. i've heard it's not the time to start up something new, but for at least the first trimester, one can continue most exercise, even running. i've heard more about body temp than about heart rate. (or maybe the heart rate is another way of assessing what body temp might be?) obviously you don't want to overheat - similar to the effects of having a high fever.
#7 of 10 Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 PM

oh, and DoulaLMT, : !
#8 of 10 Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM

Thanks!! We're excited!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#9 of 10 Old 05-04-2007, 09:21 AM

DoulaLMT - Congrats!!!

I intend to exercise right into my pregnancy until I am not able. I manage my weight through exercise and Weight Watchers. I need to keep exercising while TTC in order to not gain weight. I hope to have a healthy pregnancy that allows me to walk on my treadmill for as many months as possible...right up to delivery if I am lucky:

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#10 of 10 Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM

I don't see how exercise would be bad while TTC, but it's supposed to be good for pregnancies as long as you don't do more than you did before your pregnancy or overheat. In fact, some elite runners have been known continue to train while they are pregnant.

Here's an interesting article on a runner who did just that:
http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=7944

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page