OPK nearly positive and then lightening? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-12-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im on CD 11. My OPKs peaked on day 9 and have been getting lighter. Theres barely a line anymore today. I usually O at 12-14 so these tests should be dark. : has anyone had this happen, and then ovulate later, or should I save my OPKs and give up on the month? My temps have not risen, by the way.
#2 of 14 Old 05-13-2007, 10:00 PM

No idea, sweetie.

The Tips & Techniques board at FF is excellent for OPK questions.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#3 of 14 Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 PM

OPK tests stress me out for this very reason. You should not that many tests have a dark line and then a lighter portion. The surge is detected by the darker line. I have never had a true positive (per the insert instructions), but I go with the dark leading line. I find the info on www.peeonastick.com very helpful.
Also, the test should get darker and lighter as the surge comes and goes (in case that was part of your question).

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#4 of 14 Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 AM

I've never had this happen, but I've heard of it happening often. You can get surges if your body is gearing up to ovulate, but then (due to stress or something else) decides to hold off for a bit. Most likely you'll get another surge that will be the real deal.

OR

You may have ovulated but missed your positive OPK. Near my O time, I often take the OPK 2x a day in order to catch my surge. There have been months when if I didn't do this, it would have appeared that the line was darkening and then lightening without ever getting a positive. It depends on how sensitive the tests are and how your own body likes to do things.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#5 of 14 Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 AM

I am in OPK Hades myself right now. I really am not sure why I bother with them?!?!?! I spend more time obsessing over them and making sure I am not drinking any liquids for 2 hours prior to testing! I typically drink water almost constantly so it is tough for me to go 2 hours without drinking like the directions recommend. And this is also the time I am trying to drink more water right around o to create more EWCM....ugh.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#6 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

I surge really fast so I test 2-3x a day. Its now CD 21 and no ovulation detected, it gets dark and light and dark and light.. and I usually do get VERY dark positives (darker than the test line) when I O

I think I have a limper ovary.
#7 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
I surge really fast so I test 2-3x a day. Its now CD 21 and no ovulation detected, it gets dark and light and dark and light.. and I usually do get VERY dark positives (darker than the test line) when I O

I think I have a limper ovary.
Are you temping? What is happening with your BBT? Really BBT is the best way to determine if you O'ed. Like you said the surge can happen quick so it is easy to miss (from experience). I am only confident in my O with a nice temp shift.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#8 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM

I am on CD 30 and still doing the OPKs without a positive. I o late so I am not too concerned yet. I had a surge on CD23 and it was so close to positive but just not quite. It then went back to almost no second line at all. Now last night I had another almost positive (and think I may have oed this morning?) so we shall see what my temps tell me in the next couple days. I know I wouldn't want to rely on the OPKs alone. I have trouble with limiting my fluids for 2 hours prior to testing because I am a water drinker so maybe I am diluting the results?:

I have been testing 2-3 times a day the past 2 days hoping to not miss my positive. I don't think I will use the OPK again but now I am commited to seeing it through to o this cycle. I may have to rely on my temps because the OPKs are not looking too good for me.

I am so releaved to know I am not the only one having OPK issues

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#9 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 PM

I spoke too soon in my previous post this morning. After holding my pee for 4 hours and hardly drinking anything, I got an obvious positive OPK. So, if I can finally get one on CD30, there is hope for everyone!

#10 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherRN View Post
Are you temping? What is happening with your BBT? Really BBT is the best way to determine if you O'ed. Like you said the surge can happen quick so it is easy to miss (from experience). I am only confident in my O with a nice temp shift.
Temps are low, no shift detected.
#11 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4004 View Post
I spoke too soon in my previous post this morning. After holding my pee for 4 hours and hardly drinking anything, I got an obvious positive OPK. So, if I can finally get one on CD30, there is hope for everyone!
Finally! CD22 for me, and finally got handfuls of EWCM per norm for me. No positive OPK, but since they are all nearly the exact same color lately I think I might just have a crappy batch, I have every sign of O besides a +OPK. I bought 50 last month and I'm down to three (I'll be glad to get my normal OPKs, I had to switch suppliers last month temporarily) so I'm giving up on them for the time being. Pointless!
#12 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
Finally! CD22 for me, and finally got handfuls of EWCM per norm for me. No positive OPK, but since they are all nearly the exact same color lately I think I might just have a crappy batch, I have every sign of O besides a +OPK. I bought 50 last month and I'm down to three (I'll be glad to get my normal OPKs, I had to switch suppliers last month temporarily) so I'm giving up on them for the time being. Pointless!
Yeah :-) BD away! I wouldn't rely on the OPKs alone. Who is your your normal OPK supplier? I bought some on EBay and never did get a positive with those. My gut feeling told me to try with some I had left over from a while back (store bought expensive kind) and I got my positive. I used the same cup of pee with the internet ones and it was not positive. Needless to say I will not buy from that same EBay seller again!

#13 of 14 Old 05-25-2007, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

I get my (good) OPKs from Babycreation on ebay (Am I allowed to say that? LOL). They are very similar to the dollar store OPKs, which are excellent if you want to pay a dollar for one OPK! They are much lighter than the ones that have been medium darkness this whole time and in a few days I will know whether my "not normal" OPKs were rotten or if it was just me and my continual LH-ness.

Sorry, haha, its early and I should be asleep!
#14 of 14 Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 PM

I got mine from Babycreation too. Which 'style' do you use? I don't know what they are called but I have the skinny little strips to dip in a cup of pee. I never did get a positive with them. Maybe they were right and the other tests were wrong?? I say this only because my temp didn't go up this morning like I thought it should/would if I o'ed with the positive OPK. My quality EWCM and now lack of it supports that I did o though so who knows. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page