Anyone specificially TTC a girl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone!

I feel kind of weird being here, since we have never had to "T" to conceive. LOL.

However, we have 3 boys and have to try ONE more time for a girl. We'll probably start in August.

What are you doing to ttc a girl? I am going to do cranberry and calcium/magnesium supplements, but I am a little leery of timing intercourse 3-4 days before ovulation, as outlined in the Shettles method.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 12:15 AM

We are trying for a girl with the timing method. I have 2 boys now. What/where did you hear about these supplements?
i was thinking about wearing only pink underwear...but that has no scientific basis, just me being silly.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:51 AM

I'm also doing the cranberry supplements. DH also takes *really* hot showers, which is cautioned against if you want a boy or are having problems TTC. Guess the X spermies are heartier and can make it through higher temps. We haven't tried timing intercourse for days ahead of O because I just stopped using a Nuvaring and started charting about a month ago. We weren't really sure what my cycles would be.

Glad you started the thread. I'm eager to read about other tricks people have heard help to make a girl
Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 AM

I was, and pasted about it here, BTW it was a boy but our timing was totally off the month we concieved. Also heard a more alkaline environment--so they recomend douching with vinegar.

Course for #4 I think I may prefer a boy.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 AM

We are trying for a girl using the shettles method! Here is what we are doing: BD 2 or 3 days before O, no female orgasm, missionary position, and no caffeine for either of us. Timing is the most important. I also heard on another thread that women who eat a lot of dairy products are more likely to have a girl.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
We are trying for a girl using the shettles method! Here is what we are doing: BD 2 or 3 days before O, no female orgasm, missionary position, and no caffeine for either of us. Timing is the most important. I also heard on another thread that women who eat a lot of dairy products are more likely to have a girl.
We are trying for a girl too...well, I would like a girl and DH has offered no opinion. We are not truly timing the BDing because I o different days every cycle. We are doing the no female orgasm and missionary position. I have been taking cranberry tablets for about 2 weeks now to make my CM more acidic. I also am a big milk drinker to begin with so I was thrilled to read that a diet high in calcium is more likely to conceive a girl. (My mother-in-law is lactose intolerant and had 4 boys and no girls...coincidence?) The other thing I naturally have in my favor is low quality and low quantity EWCM.

My DH takes a very low dosage of paxil so I am not sure what effect that may have on his sperm?

That being said, if I have a healthy boy or girl I will be thrilled. I am just trying to increase my odds for a girl

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
Old 05-26-2007, 07:21 PM

dawn0624~ It's great you've had luck with Martine LaFleur, but I've read horrible things about them. There are several threads on in-gender and babycenter saying how it's a scam. No service can give you over 90% accuracy, and several women have requested their money back from her and never received a refund. She gives the dates of conception to have a girl or boy and it's based solely on the moon, which you can get for free on any calendar. Sorry to be so negative but I've seen too many women disappointed and hurt by this program.

Im trying to sway for a girl this time. Im taking vitex supps, and am planning to start TTC in July. DS was a classic Shettles boy. BD day of O, rear entry, I was drinking a liter of veggie juice every other day to increase CM. Im not so sure I want to do Shettles timing for a girl though... Ive heard a lot of boys being born with it, and more luck with BD straight through O.. not sure, still thinking about it. For those on cranberry how long have you been taking it, Im only planning to take it from AF to O.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 AM

I've just been taking the cranberry the week of and including O day. We have one boy already and would still be excited if we had another one. However, we've agreed that, if the next is a boy, we will adopt a girl.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
BD????????

Don't know if I buy that dairy products story. I used to drink about 1/2gal to a gal of milk a day and got two boys in that time.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:16 AM

OMG!! It is currently 6am and I can't sleep so I figured I would get on here and ask these wonderful mamas how to conceive a girl.... and as soon as I open the forum I see your thread :............ oh I love mdc!!! Anyway, my story is exactly the same!! I have 3 boys Kevin (11) Brandon (9) and Nicholas (14 months) and we are planning to start trying when Nick is about 20 mo. and I would love a little girl :

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasBoys View Post
Hey everyone!

I feel kind of weird being here, since we have never had to "T" to conceive. LOL.

However, we have 3 boys and have to try ONE more time for a girl. We'll probably start in August.

What are you doing to ttc a girl? I am going to do cranberry and calcium/magnesium supplements, but I am a little leery of timing intercourse 3-4 days before ovulation, as outlined in the Shettles method.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

BD= "Baby Dance" (intercourse)

I also am a huge dairy eater and have conceived three boys so I don't buy it either...

Old 05-27-2007, 04:20 PM

DH and I are hoping for a girl, but not knowing if there are any lurking fertility issues, we're not going to do anything to make the cervical mucus less hospitable in general. We're also not going to decrease the amount of BD before ovulation, for the same reason. So we'll just hope.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 05-27-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

You could always just follow the "girl diet" or take the cranberry/calcium/magnesium supplements.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
You could always just follow the "girl diet" or take the cranberry/calcium/magnesium supplements.
Aren't the supplements supposed to increase the acidity of the cervical mucus and make it less hospitable?

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 05-28-2007, 11:28 AM

I'm glad to see this thread. I posted a similar thread a few days ago. I wanted to know if anyone used Shettles or 0+12 to try and conceive a specific gender and if there were any success stories.

MamasBoys-the 0+12 method suggest opposite from Shettles theories. They say have intercourse about 8-20 hrs after O to conceive a girl.

http://www.in-gender.com/Gender-Sele...2/default.aspx

snozzberry-I think less hospitable for the y(male) sperm only. A more acidic environment is supposed to favor girls.

Liz
Old 05-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato2boy View Post
snozzberry-I think less hospitable for the y(male) sperm only. A more acidic environment is supposed to favor girls.
Yes, from what I have read this is correct.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
Old 05-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Soooo.... How much cranberry are you supposed to take/drink ?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 PM

I used the O+12 method in combo with cranberry supplements to conceive my daughter. BD was actually closer to 20 hours post-O than 12, though.

In answer to the PP's question, you want to take enough cranberry that when you test your cervical mucus with a pH strip, it is in the range of 5 to 5.5 The pH strips are the important part of the equation here, the amount of cranberry that you need to change the cervical mucus is different for everyone...I was taking 3 capsules a day, but I know of people who have needed much more.

ETA: I took the cranberry supplements every day (CranActin is the brand I use) but I only checked my cervical mucus pH from end of AF to BD attempt. Cranberry is safe to take all the time, it's very good for preventing UTIs and I actually took it during my pregnancy on the advice of my midwife.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 PM

And this works? Or at least, it is a reasonable idea? I am going to have to explain to my medical researcher husband why I am putting pH strips into my lady parts and drinking gallons of cranberry juice ! I can imagine it now...

"Um, what are you doing with those strips? And why are there 5 gallons of organic cranberry juice in the fridge that cost as much as the down payment on our house?"

"I want a girl."

"What? A girl? Yeah, that would be great, but... "

"Yeah, I need to make my vagina acidic, so I have to test in there and then drink up."

"Dear Lord, Alexsam! What's next?!?! Dances on the full moon and a swatch of hair under the pillow? I've dedicated my life to science and here you are with pH strips in your feminine places and a fridge full of juice!"

What should I say to that?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeC View Post
I used the O+12 method in combo with cranberry supplements to conceive my daughter. BD was actually closer to 20 hours post-O than 12, though.
Oh, I need to pick your brain! Did you BD anytime before O or just after.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM

We were successful with charting.
I read Taking Care of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler

The basic understanding is girl sperm live longer in a fertile environment (3 to 5 days) but boy sperm are quicker but only live 24 hours or shorter (or something close to that)
So you want to have sex as far from O as possible so the little girls stay there and live longer than the boys.
It takes longer to conceive and you may have to try a few months to get it right. I charted for several months.
It is NOT a perfect science but I think it made a difference for us - and hey I am having a girl in Oct

Lots of conscience baby girl thoughts too from both partners.

We both REALLY wanted a girl and she has been in our thoughts for years.
We have a 3.5 boy too and don't plan on having more children.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Isra* View Post
Oh, I need to pick your brain! Did you BD anytime before O or just after.
nak

No BD before O, we started to once 2 days before O but ended up not. And cranberry was my only supplement, no special "girl diet" or cal/mag.

Alexsam--you totally made me laugh...I can't offer any "scientific proof", but lots of anecdotal evidence. I read the Shettles book and did research on the internet, and everything I read seems to agree that an acidic environment favors XX sperm and a more alkaline one favors XY sperm. This is even the basis of the Shettles method if you read his book carefully, what he is saying is that *most* women have more acidic CM 3-5 days before O, and *most* women have EWCM that is slightly alkaline. So since this is true for **most** women (lol, I think this is kind of like saying "most women ovulate on day 14 of their cycle") the Shettles method gets boiled down to "have sex the day of ovulation to have a boy and 3-5 days before ovulation to have a girl."

I guess the best proof I can offer is that when you test the pH of your CM before taking the cranberry and then again after you have started taking it, there really is a change. So if that's the only thing you're changing, it must affect it somehow
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 AM

Dh and I would like to be prego again when our youngest is 20-24 mo. As I mentioned before... we would love a little girl (we have 3 boys). When should I start charting, drinking cranberry juice, and doing all that other fun stuff? Should I start practicing now, so maybe by the time we are ready I have a better idea of how my cycle is????

P.S.
Congrats on your little girl ReneeC.... my 11 year old was born on 5/12 !!!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 PM

Faithful Mommy - I would start charting now. There's no harm in it and it really helps to get the hang of it and get in the habit of taking your temp every morning. Plus, if your cycles are irregular you can get an average O date over a number of cycles. I charted 3 cycles before we started TTC, I would have done more but after BC my cycles were completely sporadic (I only had 5 over an entire year!). Anyway, that's just my two cents!

Where can I buy the pH strips - are they sold at pharmacies?

Also, I have very scant CM as it is and usually only get EWCM for one brief moment during my ovulation. I'm thinking this means I already have a very 'inhospitable' environment. I don't want to make it impossible for the spermies by increasing the acidity. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 AM

ok ladies, i went and got some cranberry tabs, i now that the tv season is over (LOL) we can get serious about or bd-ing. I feel good about this cycle.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Where can I buy the pH strips - are they sold at pharmacies?
You probably won't find pH strips at a pharmacy, but if you have a health food store in your area, they probably have them there...you can use the same kind of strips that someone would use for a low-carb diet or an alkaline/acid diet. You can also get them online...I preferred the stick kind as opposed to the roll-of-paper kind and they're easier to find online.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know where you can purchase pH strips AND cranberry supplements online? I'd like to save on shipping...

Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know where you can purchase pH strips AND cranberry supplements online? I'd like to save on shipping...
I found this site for strips. The price includes taxes and shipping. Hope it works!

http://www.baby-gender-selection-pro...om/ph-kit.html
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oops I guess I should clarify. I means--is there a website where I can purchase *both* so I can save on shipping?

$9.95 for only 5 pH strips seems really expensive.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 PM

Thanks Renee - I found them at the Natural Food Market here. For others looking, the ones I got are actually in a roll and you tear off what you need and it was only $6.99.

User Tag List