Acidity, girls, and where do I put this pH paper?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 25 Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
alexsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, on the other thread y'all were talking about conceiving girls by lowering reproductive tract pH. I told dh, got a lot of eyerolls, but he ordered some pH paper from the lab.

The question is... um... how do I... you know... measure it? Not how to read the strips, but exactly what and where do I measure?
alexsam is offline  
#2 of 25 Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
 
MyZymurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd guess that you'd measure your CM. I'm glad your DH is being a good sport. I don't care if we are blessed with a girl or a boy - but the nerd in me is so curious as to my CMs pH!! Let us know how it goes.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
MyZymurgy is offline  
#3 of 25 Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 PM
 
snozzberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 2,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to hear how it goes too!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

snozzberry is offline  
#4 of 25 Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
alexsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe this is a little personal, but do you thinnk I should bring the CM to the paper or the paper to the CM?
alexsam is offline  
#5 of 25 Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
 
Everrgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey,
I don't know the answer but I'm wondering the same thing. I just bought some pH paper, but mine says 'not for internal use' so I figured I had better bring the CM to the paper. I only tried it once but I have scanty CM so it was difficult and the colour of the paper didn't really change which either means it didn't work or I'm acidic. I don't know... :

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Everrgreen is offline  
#6 of 25 Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
 
MyZymurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I did a search and found this info and another message board. So take all of this advice with a HUGE grain of salt. But to answer the question, it sounds like you need to try to retrieve some CM directly off your cervix... which would be difficult during non-fertile periods or if you are like me and don't make much CM.

Anyway... again, below is just another ttc'er giving advice on another board. Take it for what it is worth:


Checking the pH of you cm is vital to understand how
girl friendly your cm is. You can purchase litmus
paper/pH strips. The best way to test your pH is after
checking your cervix position, do a sweep with your
finger and then pull out and rub the cm on the pH
paper. It will change color immediately indicating
your current pH. For ttc a girl, you want a pH between
4 and 5. Anything over 5 is boy favorable and anything
lower than 4 is to hostile to all sperm.

Vinegar or lemon douching is also helpful in making
your
vaginal tract more acidic and can aid the girl sperms.
(however this is not recommended unless advised by a
dr, as it can also rinse away useful bacteria and
cause infection)

Recommend Supplements

Cranberry: This is used to make your pH more acidic
and to dry up your cm and make it more creamy. The
amount depends on your specific body and how it
tolerates the cranberry. Some women take a small dose
around 1800mg, where others take up to 10,000mg. Begin
with a low dose and increase as necessary to achieve
desired results. Taken daily from AF till OV has been
confirmed.

Calcium/Magnesium: These supplements are the backbone
to making your environment girl friendly. Theory has
it that the calcium/magnesium help to attract the girl
(x) sperms to the egg. Dosage should be around Cal/Mag
1000/400mg. Taken daily from AF until OV has been
confirmed.

Vitamin D: This is important to help with calcium
absorption. Take one pill daily from AF until OV has
been confirmed.

Folic Acid: This is essential to anyone ttc, as it
helps prevent birth defects. Dosage is 400mcg-800mcg
daily.

Sudafed: This is used to dry up ewcm. Doesn't matter
what type and follow directions on the box. You can
use this leading up to OV or just before BD or only
when you notice ewcm. If taking before BD to dry up
ewcm, make sure and take it atleast an hour before

Vitex: This is a supplement that has had great reviews
for those that have gotten pg with a girl! Its also
great for those with irregular cycles. However, it
takes 3 months to get into your system and for some
women it can cause their OV to vary, be earlier or
come later. Follow suggested dosage and take from AF
until OV.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
MyZymurgy is offline  
#7 of 25 Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
 
fishface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe this is a little personal, but do you thinnk I should bring the CM to the paper or the paper to the CM?
Bring the CM to the paper. If you bring the paper to the CM it's going to get a read from the first thing that it touches down there, like maybe residual urine or whatever is hanging around at the opening of your vagina.
fishface is offline  
#8 of 25 Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 PM
 
MyZymurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
or whatever is hanging around at the opening of your vagina.


I don't know why that struck me as funny. I wonder what's hanging around the opening of my vagina?

I need to go to bed.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
MyZymurgy is offline  
#9 of 25 Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 AM
 
MamasBoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh wow! I was under the impression that you could test either your urine OR saliva. I've never even heard of testing your CM.

MamasBoys is offline  
#10 of 25 Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 AM
 
ReneeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasBoys View Post
Oh wow! I was under the impression that you could test either your urine OR saliva. I've never even heard of testing your CM.
you can test any liquid, actually...the strips are sold to test urine or saliva, but since the point here is to determine the pH of CM, it's what you want to be testing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Bring the CM to the paper. If you bring the paper to the CM it's going to get a read from the first thing that it touches down there, like maybe residual urine or whatever is hanging around at the opening of your vagina.
:

the way that I tested was:
when checking my CP, I would collect some CM on my finger and then swipe it onto the pH strip. since collecting some CM to determine its qualities was part of my charting anyhow, it wasn't an extra step.

you just have to be careful not to touch the sides of the vagina on the way in or out, because you want to test the CM and not any other moisture that might be hanging around down there
ReneeC is offline  
#11 of 25 Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 AM
 
Gendenwitha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Olympia WA
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm... just dropping in to subscribe to this thread so I can find it when I need it later. Which usually means you use the popcorn eating emoticon, but for some reason it just didn't seem appropriate when talking about... ahem.
Gendenwitha is offline  
#12 of 25 Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM
 
Everrgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
Quote:
or whatever is hanging around at the opening of your vagina.
This also made me laugh!

Thanks MyZymurgy for all that info. I'm going to write it down for later. This cycle I'm not doing anything extra b/c I'm pretty sure my cm is already acidic even at O. But, if I have another TTC cycle I will try some of it. Oh, I do drink cranberry juice - does this work the same as a supplement? I also eat a lot of dairy so that may cover the calcium/magnesium.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Everrgreen is offline  
#13 of 25 Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
 
Sunshine4004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Oh, I do drink cranberry juice - does this work the same as a supplement? I also eat a lot of dairy so that may cover the calcium/magnesium.
I am unsure that just drinking cranberry juice provides enough cranberry? I drink it and take the supplements to make sure. I just don't take as much of the supplement on days that I drink the juice.

I eat a lot of dairy, drink a lot of milk and take calcium supplements so I too am hoping that covers the calcium.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
Sunshine4004 is offline  
#14 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 AM
 
adamsfam07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have 3 boys and I would love to up my chances of a little girl for our last child. My questions are where do you get the ph paper? And I"m currently nursing my 1 yr old so I don't if it's ok to be taking Cranberry tablets and extra calcium/magnesium ect. What do you mommas think?

Atara wife to Joseph mom to Kaleb and Jacob : Caeden Ashlyn : and our angel baby ,:,
adamsfam07 is offline  
#15 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 12:29 PM
 
Everrgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought my pH paper at a natural foods store. Some have mentioned buying it online, not sure where... I'm also not sure about the supplements while nursing, maybe someone else knows?

Wow, I'm really not much help

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Everrgreen is offline  
#16 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I find this very interesting. DD2 was a vitex baby and was a girl, but then again 50/50 chance either way.

ETA: I need to really think where I read this at, some newspaper article yesterday maybe, but it was talking about if you had 4 DC that you would think you would have an equal chance of having 2 DDs and 2 DSs, but this article was saying that you actually had a higher chance of have 3 of one gender and 1 of the other.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is online now  
#17 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Gendenwitha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Olympia WA
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I find this very interesting. DD2 was a vitex baby and was a girl, but then again 50/50 chance either way.

ETA: I need to really think where I read this at, some newspaper article yesterday maybe, but it was talking about if you had 4 DC that you would think you would have an equal chance of having 2 DDs and 2 DSs, but this article was saying that you actually had a higher chance of have 3 of one gender and 1 of the other.
Would love to read that if you can google it.
Gendenwitha is offline  
#18 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
 
Sunshine4004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
ETA: I need to really think where I read this at, some newspaper article yesterday maybe, but it was talking about if you had 4 DC that you would think you would have an equal chance of having 2 DDs and 2 DSs, but this article was saying that you actually had a higher chance of have 3 of one gender and 1 of the other.
Very interesting!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
Sunshine4004 is offline  
#19 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 PM
 
MyZymurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I find this very interesting. DD2 was a vitex baby and was a girl, but then again 50/50 chance either way.

ETA: I need to really think where I read this at, some newspaper article yesterday maybe, but it was talking about if you had 4 DC that you would think you would have an equal chance of having 2 DDs and 2 DSs, but this article was saying that you actually had a higher chance of have 3 of one gender and 1 of the other.
That sounds right…There is a higher probability of having 3 children of one gender.

Of the 16 different combinations of having Boy/Girl children you have a:
1/16 (6.25%) chance of all boys
1/16 6.25%) chance of all girls
4/16 (25%) chance of one girl and three boys
4/16 (25%) chance of one boy and three girls
6/16 (37.5%) chance of two girls, two boys

So, assuming an equal likelihood of either gender every time– if you have four children there is a 12.5% chance you’d end up will kids that are all the same gender, a 37.5% chance you’d end up with two girls and two boys, and a 50% chance you’d have three of one gender and one of another.

Don’t believe the math? Here’s the old fashioned way of figuring it out:
All Boys: BBBB
One Girl: GBBB; BGBB; BBGB; BBBG
Two Girls/Two Boys: GBGB; GGBB; BBGG; BGGB; GBBG; BGBG
One Boy: BGGG; GBGG; GGBG; GGGB
All Girls: GGGG

So, yeah… I guess if you have four children, the odds are that you’ll have three of one gender and one of another.



And this is how I’ve killed another 10 minutes off my two week wait.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
MyZymurgy is offline  
#20 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 PM
 
Everrgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MyZymurgy - You just gave me a major flash back of genetics class! Thanks for the info - very interesting! If I could choose, I would have 4 girls

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Everrgreen is offline  
#21 of 25 Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 PM
 
MyZymurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
MyZymurgy - You just gave me a major flash back of genetics class! Thanks for the info - very interesting! If I could choose, I would have 4 girls
Sorry about the flashback. I should have put a NERDALERT warning on that post.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
MyZymurgy is offline  
#22 of 25 Old 06-08-2007, 01:01 AM
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
MyZymurgy - You just gave me a major flash back of genetics class! Thanks for the info - very interesting! If I could choose, I would have 4 girls
So would I.


I've been racking my brain all day and I can not for the life of me remember where I saw that article at, it's driving me nuts! Maybe it'll come to me at 3am.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is online now  
#23 of 25 Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM
 
Everrgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The nerdalert thing just cracked me up - DH calls me that sometimes

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Everrgreen is offline  
#24 of 25 Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 PM
 
Gendenwitha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Olympia WA
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
That sounds right…There is a higher probability of having 3 children of one gender.

Of the 16 different combinations of having Boy/Girl children you have a:
1/16 (6.25%) chance of all boys
1/16 6.25%) chance of all girls
4/16 (25%) chance of one girl and three boys
4/16 (25%) chance of one boy and three girls
6/16 (37.5%) chance of two girls, two boys

So, assuming an equal likelihood of either gender every time– if you have four children there is a 12.5% chance you’d end up will kids that are all the same gender, a 37.5% chance you’d end up with two girls and two boys, and a 50% chance you’d have three of one gender and one of another.
Duh, ashamed nerd here that I didn't get that right off. :

I was more thinking along the lines of a woman's ph tending to be the same, or the male sperm to be weighted to one side or the other so they're more likely to have the same gender. I bet that plays a part too and the statistics are even higher than this.
Gendenwitha is offline  
#25 of 25 Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 PM
 
tamarw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
Hmmm... just dropping in to subscribe to this thread so I can find it when I need it later. Which usually means you use the popcorn eating emoticon, but for some reason it just didn't seem appropriate when talking about... ahem.
:
tamarw is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off