Plus-Sized Mamas & TTC - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Been a while since I checked in. DH and I decided to try again this month before I schedule my surgery - hopefully a lil one will join us and I won't need it We had great timing this month and I didn't stress too much with OPK's and temping. I did take some around when I O'ed last month and clearly got the darkest line in between days we BDed : I am starting to temp now to see if I can see the rise. 3DPO so a while to wait but I am trying not to obsess. Have my first accupuncture appt. tonight and I am super excited.. get my qi (chee) back on track and some healthy blood flow for the endometrium! IMPLANT, IMPLANT!!! Wishing all those on the 2ww a BFP soon and those waiting to O and prayer for successful timing!

LAURA mama to Emory (10/12/09) wife to DH missing & older sis 10/13/69-12/19/07 w/1 : & 3 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 113 Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 PM

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this thread. My name is Rachel and I'm about 60 lbs over what I should be. DW and I started TTC #1 in Aug. I'm currently in the 2WW. I too have worried about how my weight will effect my fertility and pregnancy so it's good to hear that some of you have had wonderful, healthy, uneventful pregnancies.

I have a few questions for those of you that have been pregnant before. I'm totally freaked out about gaining even more weight while I'm pregnant. But I've heard that overweight women tend to not gain as much, is that true? How much did you gain while you were pregnant?

Also is it unhealthy to try to lose weight (slowly and healthfully of course) while TTC? I've actually gained 10 lbs since we started TTC. I'm an emotional eater and the stress has been killing me. I'm starting to get a hold of it and I'd like to lose a little while I'm waiting to get pregnant.

-Rachel

#93 of 113 Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 AM

Here's a few recommendations from me. I'm mainly a lurker to this thread. I'm TTC No. 2 & have been for 15 months. I'm 38 but super quickly approaching 39. I'm about 40 - 50 lbs overweight. W/ No. 1 I was about 30 - 40 lbs. With my age I felt a rush to ttc no. 2. If I would have ever known it would have taken this long I would have focused on losing a little weight in the beginning. Working at losing weight for 4 - 6 months could have helped me a bunch. So, if you don't feel a lot of pressure to conceive quickly I strongly recommend you try gently losing a little weight 10 - 20 lbs while trying to conceive but focus on weight loss. The main reason I suggest that is to help you to conceive. You may not need to do that at all but I think it couldn't hurt. Someone on this message board recommended "Fertility Foods" and I think I'm going to try to start eating that way (sort of diabetic based) next week.

As to your other question about gaining weight while pregnant. I really didn't feel like I ate that much when I was first pregnant but I did gain 50 lbs. Although I was originally 30 - 40 lbs overweight I don't think the extra weight really affected me that much. I had blood pressure issues that last week but that was it. I had lost 25 lbs by the 2nd day after giving birth to my daughter. Breastfeeding really helped me lose weight and I got below my pre-pregnancy weight. I think I've put about 10 lbs on now because I work full time and my house isn't set up for much outdoor activity other than taking walks through the neighborhood. So, with all that said, if you feel healthy and are an active person (I use to walk & garden quite a bit) I wouldn't worry too much about the added weight. But, once again, think it would be very helpful for you to lose a little weight while or just before conceiving. I'm sure others w/ have other input and different perspectives but that's what I would recommend. Good luck with your journey!!!
#94 of 113 Old 10-26-2007, 03:06 AM

Congratulations mchalehm!! How exciting!

I'm joining in too, we're not quite TTC but hope to start in January (as soon as the year ticks over if I have my way )! I'm plus-sized, and worried about the general stuff - pressure from doctors, worries about concieving, finding cute maternity clothes!
I'm Jade, 26, and we live in Auckland, New Zealand. I was married last year, and we're hoping to TTC our first. DH is coming on board slowly, I think he's more worried than I am!
I'm also worried that my weight is going to impact on my choices, I've already had one comment that being plus-sized means I won't be able to birth at home, so I've basically decided not to share too much more IRL! Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Triana & Lisa, thats so nice to know that the midwife and Dr didn't focus too much on weight! I ended up going off the pill in the end because I felt so uncomfortable and guilty over the questions about my weight from the clinic.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#95 of 113 Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Jennifer, thank you for your reply! Can you point me in the direction where I could find out more about "Fertility Foods"?

Would love to hear more responses/opinions/experiences to my questions.

-Rachel

#96 of 113 Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Hi BurtsGirl,

Since I started this roller coaster of TTC in January I've lost about 40 pounds through diet and exercise. I'm still about 80 lbs from my goal weight. The thing is to do it very slowly - they recommend no more than 2 pounds a week. I have read that losing weight can cause your body to adjust and impact hormones and fertility. However, I think losing weight is helpful in the end. So I keep working on that as I actually get close to my first IUI next month. It's been a long, slow trip. During the process I have found out that I am insulin resistant and now I am on a "special" diet given to women who have gestational diabetes - even though I'm not pregnant - because when I do get pregnant I will most likely have gestational diabetes. But I feel much healthier eating the way they suggest.

It involves whole grains, protein, vegetables, fruits and dairy - the idea is to balance your protein with good carbs. It works for me, but I don't have any issues with wheat or dairy. My favorite snack is a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter and 4 oz milk. Sounds high calorie, but it gives a feeling of satisfaction and I don't snack on other less healthy foods. If you want more info let me know and I can give you the amount of carbs, dairy, vegetables and fruit they recommend I eat.

Of course what works for me may not work for anyone else...

Number # 2 due 5/19/2011.
#97 of 113 Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 PM

I'm CD 13 and waiting to O. I'm having a big Halloween party this weekend, and yes, I will be drinking, because I probably won't even have ovulated yet at that point. I haven't had more than a few drinks (total) in the last six weeks anyhow, but this is my big party of the year, and Halloween is my fave holiday. As an added bonus, the party will help keep my mind off obsessing with TTC. I'm definitely not as obsessed this cycle - a lot calmer. I am charting temps now, so it's kind of interesting just to see the day-to-day changes rather than focusing on "hurring up" the entire cycle.

How's everyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalehm View Post
I never felt as cute as I did when I was pregnant--I wore shirts that really brought out that bump and I loved seeing myself in mirrors and reflecting windows, more than any time before or since.

Right now I'm on cd8. I usually O around cd17, so we're biding time right now (although believe me we're getting in plenty of just-in-case sex--I think it's my husband's favorite thing about TTC).

I'm a college teacher and grad student. I'm working on my dissertation; it's the last hurdle for my PhD! I study 20th century British literature. I think psychology is really interesting (I did an undergrad psych minor). What's your eventual plan? Are you going to grad school? Do you want to do clinical psychology someday?
Hey there, sorry it took me so long to reply (wow, really long now that I look at the dates)! This thread gets hidden sometimes. Congrats on the BFP!

I originally wanted to be a Clinical Psychologist, but I'm just not sure if I have the discipline, and motivation, etc, to go that far now. At this point I really want to finish up my bachelor's degree and see what I want to do from there. I definitely want to get at least a master's, but not necessarilly right away, and not necessarilly in Psych.

-
#98 of 113 Old 10-27-2007, 02:42 AM

I've just skimmed this and haven't used it yet. The author (who's a doctor) said his diet was more effective then a standard Diabetic diet but I'm sure either would be helpful. Here's a link to the Amazon.com listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Fertility-Food...3463620&sr=8-1
#99 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 AM

I'm officially here! We are TTC#1 starting this cycle. I am on CD1 and I've been taking prenatal vitamins for months and walking more to keep my body strong. We are very excited.

''''

#100 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 AM

^ Welcome! I'm TTC #1 also, and in my 2nd cycle!

Well, it seems as though I'm probably Ovulating today. I finally got a + OPK and EWCM last night, plus I was having some crampy-like feelings. This morning my temp took a steep drop down to 96.66. Woohoo!!! If this is O day, we had pretty good timing (check out my chart). So here's hoping. :

-
#101 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 AM

mchalehm: Congrats!!!!! I'm sorry I'm so late in saying that - but here's a mini-smiley parade for you. It's so cool that you got your !!
::
::::

filiadeluna: I hope you hit that eggie!!

allfrog68: I followed your link all excited and guess what I have that book and have never taken the time to read it. Maybe I should get on that, huh? I'm gonna have to find it first . . . .

To all of the newbies:

And as for me - I finally gave in and went to see a new RE. Dh has really great insurance right now, so we decided to take advantage of it, and my naturopath had done some things as of late that I found questionable. Plus we weren't getting the results that we wanted - well I did have that chem pregnancy earlier this year - but we're looking for a . Anyway this particular RE helped a couple that we know get pg - they have been raving about him for months - and I finally gave in and made the appt. Monday. I LOVE him. He said that anatomically there's no reason why I shouldn't be getting pg - so he's running tests for some things such as little known viruses (since dh works in the medical field) and something about clotting in my vessels. It's confusing and I don't have it all down just yet. Anyway the big joke is that we went to the RE for help w/ IF and he put us on bcp's. - which I know alot of other ladies have done. And after my wonky cycle last month (spotting for 2 weeks coupled with how long we've been ttc, I'm game for almost anything. We wanted to go completely natural, but it wasn't working for us, unfortunately and the RE sits somewhere between TCM and conventional medicine, so I think we'll like his methods. Dh has to go in for his first SA in 4 years, tomorrow morning and we're not allowed to ttc until all of our tests are run. So we're taking this cycle off. phew!! :

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)
#102 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierrbugg View Post
filiadeluna: I hope you hit that eggie!!
Thanks!

What is an RE? Good luck with everything when you TTC again!

-
#103 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
What is an RE?
RE = Reproductive Endocrinologist. Basically they are dr.'s who treat homone imbalances, either relating specifically to fertility or just in general.

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)
#104 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierrbugg View Post
RE = Reproductive Endocrinologist. Basically they are dr.'s who treat homone imbalances, either relating specifically to fertility or just in general.
Ah, gotcha!

-
#105 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM

hi girls!
I love this thread...it's so nice to relate to fellow beautiful plus size mama's (and mama's to be!!!!) I agree with all the previous posts that size is definetly not related to fertility......but I do have one question for the "more experienced" mothers out there, has anyone else had issues getting their period back after weaning? Is this related to progesterone levels, related to being bigger or is this a general women' s issue and completely unrealted to size as with other fertility issues...your thoughts ladies.........
#106 of 113 Old 11-11-2007, 06:52 AM

I am so glad this thread is here - it is wonderful to meet all of you!

I finally stopped just lurking and signed up for an account here - I've found this board so helpful so far - I'm excited to be part of the community.

Well, I'm Aj, and I'm about 70lbs away from my personal happy weight. My Partner and I have one DD who is now 19 months. We've been "trying" since she was about 3 months old. At first (up until last month that is) our trying was more not trying to avoid it. We were sure we would conceive easily since it was so easy with Eliza (I got pregnant with her while on BCP - she was a true surprise since I had been *meticulous* about taking them). But it seems my cycles are WAY off (like, since Eliza was born my cycles range in length of 9 days to 96 days). So last month I delved into charting (and this month into temping) to hopefully have that shed some light on my physical problems.

Right now I can't afford a doc (since we don't currently have insurance) to help us navigate this. So for the time being we are actively TTC, and if it doesn't happen then at least we will have my charting to help down the road. And in the mean time I hope to see if I can aid my cycles with slow weight loss, EPO, Vitex, FSO, and Lunaception

Well, I'm off to bed - best of luck to everyone here TTC!
#107 of 113 Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM

AJ, have you ever been checked for PCOS? I ask because I was diagnosed after my daughter was born; I didn't know that I had it until then. But she was also conceived while I was on birth control (I was using NuvaRing). My doc said that some PCOS women do not respond normally to birth control. Just a thought. If you've never considered it, that might be worth checking into for fertility reasons. (I was put on Metformin, mostly because my cycles were all over the place, and they immediately straightened out--like clockwork, 27-28 days--and I got pregnant again.)

ETA: Ah, I see you can't really afford a doc. You might try cinnamon. You can buy it as a supplement and it's supposed to be similar to the Metformin (which is an insulin-sensitizing drug). Some women have also had good luck with apple cider vinegar (the good, natural kind like Bragg's).
#108 of 113 Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM

Mchalehm I'm really interested in what you say about Cinnamon and apple cider vinegar! I'm going to try to look that up and see what I can find, but if you'd like to post more info here that would be great too!

I've had doctors tell me I probably have PCOS but considering I've had 3 ultrasounds done with no cysts found, a laproscopis surgery with dye run through my tubes and nothing found, and low testosterone (which is supposed to be high with PCOS) I'm fairly sure I don't have it. I do have some of the symptoms though I think. Maybe I need to look into it again?

I've been taking, though not faithfully, about 2 tablespoons of Bragg's mixed with 16 oz of water. I'm better at remembering it the first half of my cycle. I know it's good for a lot of things, including helping allergies, decreasing heartburn and balanching the body's pH. I figured since some women have problems getting pregnant because their pH is off and is killing the spermies, and all the other health benefits I'd give it a try.

I've been trying for 21 cycles now I think. The timing hasn't been perfect every cycle but I'm pretty sure it has been perfect for at least 11 of those cycles. Today is cycle day 29 and I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant but haven't completely given up hope.

I started out at 5'4", 225. Then I finally got my Hashimoto's hypothyroid and low progesterone diagnosed and treated (have I talked about that here? I need to just write out a big post and keep it so I can cut and paste, I write about it so often lol).

Now I've worked up to what I think is an optimal dosage of natural thyroid medication, and I've very gradually changed my diet to be healthier. I've made some pretty drastic changes, but over time so I think it's more sustainable.

I first cut out high fructose corn syrup, then soy (which is bad for your thyroid and also can prevent conception), then gluten, then sugar. Switched to organic raw milk, and even started eating meat after being vegetarian for 17 years! I started feeling healthier right away, but it's only once I went gluten and sugar free that I started losing weight. I'm now down to 199! First time under 200 in years! And as long as I don't eat much sugar (even one square of dark chocolate is enough to stall me) the weight keeps coming off pretty fast.

I'm curious because I've heard that you shouldn't "diet" or try to lose weight while TTC. Obviously you shouldn't restrict yourself to an unhealthy diet, but if you were eating unhealthy to begin with and now are eating only nourishing healthy foods so the weight naturally comes off...I would see that as a good thing?

I have a Dr's appointment Thursday and we are going to ask him for an order for a Kruger semen analysis. I found a place locally that will do them (even the more extensive and strict Kruger vs. WHO type!) for only $90, so I'm pretty excited about that! I thought it would be a lot more expensive. Hopefully then we'll have more answers.
#109 of 113 Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Well, if you do have PCOS (or even if you don't) getting down to a healthy weight can help you conceive. I don't believe in crash dieting--ever, but especially when TTC/pregnant/nursing--but healthy living is never bad, IMO. If you were pg you'd need a few more calories, but I would still advocate a healthy diet.

Anyway, I don't have a ton of info on the apple cider vinegar; however, where I read about it was on SoulCysters.net, a message board for women with PCOS. If you are really interested, I'd recommend that you sign up (no one would mind if you are only possibly-PCOS) and read about it. There's a long thread with a ton of information and many women there have tried it and liked it. I believe the dosage is higher than what you've been taking--2 tbsp 3-4 times a day, if memory serves. I did it for a while and it might have helped, but I changed a number of things about my lifestyle so it's hard to say whether it was the ACV. It is nasty-tasting, but I just took it like a shot and tried to pretend it was interesting liquor. Ha.
#110 of 113 Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM

Haha yeah the ACV doesn't taste great. I dont' think I could do it as a shot. I worked up from about 1/2 tablespoon to two or three in 16 oz. of water. I take my 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined sea salt at the same time, and that seems to make it easier for me to swallow.

I was just catching up on emails from my thyroid list and came across a post about cinnamon. It said that pregnant women should not take it. Have you heard anything about that? I wonder if it would still help during the first part of the cycle till ovulation.

Let me know if you want me to post the article. It is looooong!
#111 of 113 Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM

I don't know about cinnamon in pregnancy; I've never done the cinnamon thing so I never checked on it. I am on Metformin so I don't do the ACV anymore either (they do the same thing so I was afraid of messing with my blood sugar). I think the ACV might help you more if you could stomach two doses a day!
#112 of 113 Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Haven't posted in here in awhile. Anyone else thinking about trying to lose weight while TTC? If AF shows her ugly face this month, I think I will start exercising (imagine that! ) and dieting b/c it would be more ideal if I had a flatter belly before getting preg so I can better tell when I start to show. I will try not to change my diet too drastically, too quickly, though, b/c I'm afraid that could affect my fertility in a bad way. I used to be bulimic - NOT going back to that so don't worry, but it sure seems impossible for me to "diet" healthfully.

-
#113 of 113 Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM

I'm not "dieting" to lose weight. I'm just concentrating on putting only healthy nutrient dense food in my body, so the natural consequence is I'm not eating crap and I'm losing weight hehe.

I've been gluten free (gluten intolerance is a common cause or contributor to infertility)and soy free (soy has an ingredient that goes through your system and then hangs out killing sperm, plus it can contribute to hormone imbalances and thyroid dysfunction).

I'm also high fructose corn syrup free (that stuff is just toxic) aspartame free, and trying to eliminate sugar (aside from whatever is in fruit, vegetables, milk etc).

I eat tons of full-fat dairy, raw milk, organic pasture raised humanely slaughtered meat, organic fruits and vegetables, some nuts and dried fruits, eggs (though I usually dislike the taste) and drink TONS of water.

That's a BIG difference from being a fast food, processed food eating, sweet-toothed vegetarian (which is what I was for 18 years!).

I made those changes pretty gradually and I think that's helped me stick to it. High fructose corn syrup was the first to go, since that's what makes you over-eat and induces cravings. Gradually almost all of my unhealthy cravings have vanished and I've actually lost the taste for most bad stuff. I still want it but if I take a bit I'm like "ewww" I can taste all the chemicals and stuff.

Since I made the last change of going gluten (and mostly grain) free and *very* reduced sugar, I've gone from 225 to 199, since late August. I'd probably have lost more but every once in a while I slip and have some rice crackers or a piece of soy-free dark chocolate and that seems to stall me. That's probably fine though cause I figure it gives my skin a little rest to catch up with my weight loss hehe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page