40+ and TTC: it's SUMMER! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Susan,
I haven't heard of mymonthlycycles.com, but if it works for you, go for it. I do know that the overwhelming number of MDCers who chart use FF, so you if you have a weird cycle, for example, you can get lots of help in interpreting your chart.

I use just a regular fever thermometer (digital) and temp whenever I wake up for good. I usually nurse dd around 7 and again around 8 (when we get up for the day) but even with the extra wakening my temps show a clear pattern. If you're getting out of bed before your dd you should have no problem.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 03:25 PM

A caution about using FMU for detecting your LH surge -- LH surges at night or early morning but isn't metabolized into your urine until several hours later. So if you only use FMU (first morning urine) to check for LH, you may be seeing a surge that actually occurred the day before. So for more advanced warning of impending ovulation, stick to pee midday or late afternoon.

For me it's CD 16 and I just POOOPK at 1 p.m. and found it slightly darker than yesterday's midafternoon pee. So I will check again later today, say between 4 and 7 p.m. If it's not positive yet I'll do the same double check tomorrow (CD 17). By then I expect I'll see a +. But if I were only checking FMU, I might not see a + until CD18, which may be the day I actually O, rather than the day before.

I am not TTC this cycle but charting avidly, hoping that I will actually O in the next couple of days so that I will have another cycle before dh leaves for a month in Japan on Nov. 10...
Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Just stopping in to say hi. We got back yesterday from our weekend at the beach, w/o kids. We had a GREAT time.

Susan - I have always felt ovulation and confirmed it at one point by temping. I always get a temp increase following O pain. I always have a couple days of ewcm just before the O pain as well. So I don't temp anymore. (I'm actually having O pain right now, CD 12). I think we may 'try' tonight.

Good to hear from you Juneau. I hope you O soon so you can have a chance before your DH travels.

MsGB - Nice to hear from you too. I'm glad things are going well for you.

Sorry if I missed anyone. I'm just getting caught up.

Lynne

Homeschooling mom to 2 boys (4/01) and (1/05)
Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 PM

I had some not so great news last week. I got my hormone levels tested as I noticed my temps are a lot lower than when I was TTC my other 2 kidlets. So my CD 3 progesterone was perfect (1.1) but my estradiol was 125!!! It is supposed to be 25-75, preferably on the low end of that range.

I'm freaking out because high CD 3 estrogen levels are one measure of "diminished ovarian reserve" or "poor quality eggs".

I had to call in for those results, my GP didn't call me. That said she did already refer me to the fertility clinic because I am 40 and this is CY 4. Maybe she thought that was enough on her part. I haven't heard from them yet though.

I think I may have had a chemical pregnancy last month though and I am wondering if maybe the early, early m/c might had elevated my estrogen levels.

So maybe the m/c caused the high estrogen level but then again maybe (likely) the poor egg quality caused the m/c!

So I am CY 4, CD 17, 4 DPO and hoping that maybe we caught one of my remaining good eggs this month!

Good luck to all!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 PM

I use the free fertility friend but I paid for TCOYF site You pay for it once, it is I think $35 I really like it.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
Old 10-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Here is my chart from over there http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=massaginmommy

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 PM

So I bought a good BBT thermometer today, I'm armed and ready! How many cycles does it take to see a real pattern?

Good to hear updates from everyone, and veganmama719 really keeping fingers crossed for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 AM

Susan, that is one of the best things about charting, it tells you stuff the very first month you try it! I was so pysched when I first tried it while TTC #1 when I was 34. I could see I was ovulating and that my LP was long enough. So, it actually took a lot of pressure off since I knew at least those 2 things were working for me. Alternatively, it can alert you to things that might take you months and months to find out otherwise. And sometimes those things are easily fixable.

Thanks for responding to my post, it made me feel better,

Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM

Hi Veganmama,
Sorry you got such bad news from your doctor. But one month's hormone measurements aren't going to tell you a whole lot, especially if you really did have a miscarriage last month. (I didn't get pregnant at all until I was over 40!) How are your charts looking, otherwise?

Hey Zyla, I am sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier, but to be honest, I got consumed by your blog. I read many of your posts, going way back, and have really enjoyed your writing. I am very sorry for your loss.

MamaDee, I don't know much about shorter cycles, since mine are still 29-32 days. When your cycles get shorter in perimenopause I think you do tend to O earlier at first, then have annovulatory cycles and eventually skip some months. But that doesn't mean you can't still get pregnant, witness noordinaryspider, who was ovulating sometimes I think as early as CD9, sometimes annovulatory, and managed to get pregnant by insemination.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau View Post
Hi Veganmama,
Sorry you got such bad news from your doctor. But one month's hormone measurements aren't going to tell you a whole lot, especially if you really did have a miscarriage last month. (I didn't get pregnant at all until I was over 40!) How are your charts looking, otherwise?

Hey Zyla, I am sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier, but to be honest, I got consumed by your blog. I read many of your posts, going way back, and have really enjoyed your writing. I am very sorry for your loss.

MamaDee, I don't know much about shorter cycles, since mine are still 29-32 days. When your cycles get shorter in perimenopause I think you do tend to O earlier at first, then have annovulatory cycles and eventually skip some months. But that doesn't mean you can't still get pregnant, witness noordinaryspider, who was ovulating sometimes I think as early as CD9, sometimes annovulatory, and managed to get pregnant by insemination.

Juneau, I can't post my chart because Fertility Friend has not been taking new memberships, paid or unpaid, for several months now. But my charts are ovulatory and I have a 14 day LP. Thanks for asking,

MamaDee, I do O earlier than I used to. I used to O anywhere between CD 14 and 17. Now I almost always O on CD 12-14. I agree that this is a very early sign of perimenopause. I guess your body is trying to give you more chances to O (and thus conceive) in the time you have left, does that make sense? But that, in itself, doesn't make you less likely to get PG. Factors that DO make it harder to get and stay PG when you are "older" is less fertile CM and less quality eggs. But it is certainly possible. Many of our grandmothers were PG after 40 right?

Good luck to all!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

I guess I'll introduce myself since we're officially TTC.

My name is Kate and I'm 42. I have a 10 year old dd and a 26 month old dd. Dh is 44. I got my IUD taken out just last Friday and have had some pretty serious bleeding for the past three days or so. I'm not sure when my cycle will start again due to the bleeding (does it "count" for a period?) during the time I would normally be ovulating.

If we don't get pg in six months or so, we'll stop trying and look at more permanent bc methods. I didn't have any struggles conceiving the first two times, so we'll see.

Looking forward to reading everyone's journey and sharing mine.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Welcome ktmama ~ Good luck!

Juneau ~ Thanks

Veganmama ~ I agree with Juneau, repeating the blood tests over time will give you a clearer overall picture.

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Veganmama, I had no idea that FF had limited memberships until your post; I went back and read their membership policy and sure enough, they're not unlimited. I'm sorry. I'll stop recommending them. Frustrating!

Hi Kate, good luck! I have never had an IUD but I imagine you may have to wait a cycle or two for your hormones to even out.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Welcome Kate! Hope your cycles get back to normal quickly! I had no trouble conceiving the first time around at age 40 (1-2 cycles) but now we are going on 7 months and I started to get much more pro-active once we hit the 6 month mark, but I am feeling like taking charge of things will really help, and this is a GREAT group to bounce around ideas and share results with.

Question for y'all: Why is it better to have a longer LP?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknitter View Post
Welcome Kate! Hope your cycles get back to normal quickly! I had no trouble conceiving the first time around at age 40 (1-2 cycles) but now we are going on 7 months and I started to get much more pro-active once we hit the 6 month mark, but I am feeling like taking charge of things will really help, and this is a GREAT group to bounce around ideas and share results with.

Question for y'all: Why is it better to have a longer LP?
Welcome Kate. A good friend of mine just got PG after having her IUD removed. Her first cycle was BIZARRE, lasted quite a while and she is not sure whether she actually ovulated or not but her 2nd cycle seemed perfectly normal and she is now 3w5d PG.

Susan, your LP needs to be at least 10 days. Otherwise it is an indicator of low progesterone and therefore inhospitable uterine lining. But, it is treatable.

AFM, I will have my CD 3 hormone levels run again this month. I just find it hard to beleive I had perfect eggs such a short time ago (my kidlets are 5 and 3.5) and they would be so lousy now, I just turned 40 for goodness sakes! MAybe the likely chemical PG was the cuplrit.

Juneau, my friend that just got PG has a FF membership, maybe I'll ask if I can use her sign in.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 PM

Welcome Kate and good luck. I had an IUD a long time ago and it took a little while to get my cycles back to normal once I had it out.

AF came on Monday on CD26, didn't even have a chance to POAS. I am still taking Vitex and hoping.

My understanding is that a longer LP is good because it means there is enough time for implantation. Anything shorter than 10 days won't allow for implantation.

Married to the love of my life, mom to DS :
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM

OK that is good news my LP seems to be around 14-16 days so I should be OK in that regard. I'll know a little more exactly with charting now. Its kinda embarassing that at 43 years old I'm just figuring out how all this works. :

One of these days we need to start a new thread - its not SUMMER anymore! Winter hit here yesterday with a nice nighttime rainstorm. Today was sunny and beautiful, its so nice and clear after it rains.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Juneau, I can't post my chart because Fertility Friend has not been taking new memberships, paid or unpaid, for several months now. But my charts are ovulatory and I have a 14 day LP. Thanks for asking,
Have you tried in the past week? I just registered for an Free trial 8 days ago.

BTW... Hi everyone. I'm brand new this board. I'll post an introduction in a moment. I just wanted to let veganmama know I was able to register on FF recently.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:17 PM

I'm 41 and TTC for the first time. My husband (who is 40) and I have been married for two years and have decided to try for a baby. I'm hopeful despite my history of endometriosis and fibroids (had surgery in 2002 to remove most of the endometriosis and a giant fibroid plus some little ones).

I've been taking contraceptives in three month stints since the surgery in order to avoid more endometriosis. I changed from oral contraceptives to the super low estrogen NuvaRing two years ago. This is my first cycle off of the NuvaRing.

I'm on CD 8 and waiting anxiously to see if I'm going to ovulate this cycle. I'm charting on FF and have put a call into the Reproductive Endrocrinologist that did my surgery for an appointment, but don't have one yet.

Wish me luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBabyZee View Post
Have you tried in the past week? I just registered for an Free trial 8 days ago.

BTW... Hi everyone. I'm brand new this board. I'll post an introduction in a moment. I just wanted to let veganmama know I was able to register on FF recently.
Thanks WannaBabyZee. I have tried almost every single day for 6 weeks. I probably did miss a couple of days in a row though in the last 2 weeks.
I'll probably end up buying Ovusoft if I don't get PG this cycle.
Welcome, I hope your stay is a short one,

I have an appt at the fertility clinic on Monday. I feel kind of wierd going as I have only been TTC since July (this is CY 4). But my GP referred me a couple of weeks ago. She said because I am 40 I should start looking for help after 3 cycles. They had a cancellation and I got in.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 AM

Just found this thread so I'm joining in as a newbie too. I'm 43 with a 4.5 year old DD that was conceived normally, naturally with no problems. Yeah, the secondary attempts have been heartbreaking. Went through IVF which was a disappointment with 7 out of 8 fertilized eggs coming up genetically abnormal. We've turned to egg donor which after 1 fresh and 3 frozen cycles, also didn't take. We're trying one more time with (another) egg donor and if that doesn't work, we're done. It's been a rough road and I feel like if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. I am hopeful and trying to be positive about this next round. We've selected another donor which my Dr. needs to get more info from so we'll see if she's a good candidate, otherwise we'll be back to square one with searching for a donor.

Sending good vibes to everyone else. I love that there are lots of us over 40's going through this and that we can support each other.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Welcome WannaBabyZee. I have also struggled with endo and fibroids. The endo turned out to be very mild and was removed in 2003 with a laparoscopy and as far as I know, hasn't returned. I had a giant fibroid removed when dd was born (14 cm!) but the other not-so-giant ones (8 cm or less then) have shrunk to the point where no one comments on them when I have an U/S (1 cm or less). I hope your TTC journey goes smoothly now.

Welcome hockeylover. I know IVF can be heartbreaking. Good luck! Are you doing medicated or natural cycles on your end?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau View Post
Welcome WannaBabyZee. I have also struggled with endo and fibroids. The endo turned out to be very mild and was removed in 2003 with a laparoscopy and as far as I know, hasn't returned. I had a giant fibroid removed when dd was born (14 cm!) but the other not-so-giant ones (8 cm or less then) have shrunk to the point where no one comments on them when I have an U/S (1 cm or less). I hope your TTC journey goes smoothly now.

WOW... that's huge. Mine was only 9 cm... that's amazing! Thank you for the well wishes. I spent yesterday reading this thread, and I know you've had a rough go of it. I wish you the best of luck too...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Its so great to have all these new members joining us, and like veganmama said I hope our stays here are short and we can all move over to the due date clubs soon!

AF arrived yesterday, right on schedule making for a 28 day cycle. Today I'm going to see an endocrinologist who specializes in fertility issues, my husband saw her for a thyroid issue and really liked her, so the timing is perfect for us to be able to grab another CD3 testing. Will be interesting to see if the Vitex makes a difference in my FSH levels, and of course I will be reporting back all the details to you guys!!!

Looks like this month we will be in luck with DH's travel schedule, so the KatWrangler plan will take effect soon!

Have you all completely given up caffeine and alcohol? Like 100%? I've cut WAAAAY back - like one drink every 2 weeks and getting a half-caff latte in the morning and that's it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:20 PM

Welcome hockeylover! I wish you lots of luck with your new donor. I am thinking about asking my sister to be a donor for me if it looks like my eggs are toast. I have my first appointment to the fertility clinic on Monday. I had a terrible estradiol level result on CD 3 this month but I think I had a chemical PG last cycle.

Hope everyone is having a fertile day!

I am 7DPO but couldn't temp this morning as DD was up a lot last night with a fever that wouldn't break, I ended up giving her a cool bath at 5 am and then DS woke up and wanted "num-nums". So definitely no 3 consecutive hours of sleep, LOL!

User Tag List