40+ and TTC: it's SUMMER! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 325 Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies according to fertility friend I have been charting for 23 cycles. Granted there were a few in there that i didn't temp or keep track of anything. I began charting in March of 06 so 18 months. I think my cut off is approaching. I don't feel like this is something that DH really wants anymore and I wonder if I am just spinning my wheels going crazy with all the temping and timing. yk?
Lynne sorry you are depressed. I can relate.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#242 of 325 Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 PM

Hi everyone -- I was a frequent lurker and sometime poster on the old thread and just found this one!

I am 42 (as of Sep. 18!) and have two boys, ages 2 and 5. I've been deeply ambiguous about TTC, one minute really wanting another baby, another being very satisfied with the family I already have. So, I'm not temping or anything (I did with ds2) and we're not doing anything to prevent pregnancy -- but nothing has happened in at least a year. So, I don't know. I'd be happy to get pregnant, but still don't feel like taking it to the next level. But tonight, I am. Anyway, glad to be back in the gang and good luck everyone!
#243 of 325 Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65 View Post

I've been deeply ambiguous about TTC, one minute really wanting another baby, another being very satisfied with the family I already have.

Me too!

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#244 of 325 Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM

I think it comes with the territory and is partly how we protect ourselves form disappointment.

#245 of 325 Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Hi Meli65,
Welcome back to the forum! Unlike you, I am not deeply ambivalent about having another child (well, at least not while I can't TTC -- during my pregnancies I was equally terrified of having a child and losing the pregnancy.)

Now, I am not ambivalent, but I am deeply afraid of the possible health consequences to me of continuing to TTC. I have had pregnancy-loss complications twice that have been life-threatening, and although unrelated to each other, thankfully, have left me wondering what direction the line drive is going to come from next. In the past year and a bit I have lost 20 pounds and then gained them back -- blech. I feel pudgy and crappy and wonder if I shouldn't just focus on my own health. (Of course, that'll only last until the EWCM shows up...)

But I wanted to say that unlike most of us on this thread I suspect -- although I'm not sure -- that we might actually live close enough to have lunch sometime if we wanted to. PM me if you are interested.
#246 of 325 Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 PM

I have been on my own road wondering how hard I want to push us to get pregnant. I believe that with unlimited money and intervention I could have a baby. But the article in this month's Mothering about how birth has become something to be controlled has really made me question how much I want to get into controlling conception. Maybe 43 years old is past the time that I can get pregnant (not that I am not hounding my DH to be on the KatWrangler plan this cycle).

There is so much in our lives right now maybe it is enough. Part of me hopes that I will convince myself of this and then get pregnant - the way they say you will meet the perfect man when you start looking.

Married to the love of my life, mom to DS :
#247 of 325 Old 09-25-2007, 10:19 AM

CD1 here, finally. I have never been so relieved to see AF.
#248 of 325 Old 09-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Juneau, that is GREAT news! Sometimes I am amazed at our bodies' ability to bounce back.

Well, DH left for China on Sunday night, scheduled to return on Friday. So, yesterday EWCM arrived I just hope we don't miss the window this month, I was all ready for the KatWrangler plan I am not even going to do the OPKs this month I just don't want to know if we are missing out. Why waste the money just to know there's nothing we can do about it KWIM?

I don't think we will push too hard either, adoption has always been an option for us because we were not even sure if we would be successful with the 1st pregnancy at age 41. I don't plan to do any re-testing of FSH levels either, it was just a good piece of information to know what we are dealing with. I'd guess we'll give it another 6 months and then start seriously considering adoption.

Have a great day mamas and mamas to be!
#249 of 325 Old 09-25-2007, 03:01 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm 40 and TTC #3, I am CD 3 of CY 4. I am pretty sure I had a very early miscarriage last cycle.
In a way this is not a bad sign because I believe they are much more common than we generally think. Only crazy people like me would actually even know they were PG that early anyway. And it means that DH's swimmers are working so that's good to know!

I went to my doc today to get my estrogen and progesterone checked and get a requisition for DH to get his boys tested. The lab can't do it until Oct 16th though.

She is going to refer us to the fertility clinic as she says it will take a couple of months to get in there. Since I am over 40 she says that you should go if you haven't gotten PG within 4 cycles.

Good luck everyone and nice to "meet" you.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#250 of 325 Old 09-25-2007, 03:23 PM

Hi veganmama719! Welcome!!!

That seems weird that your DH's swimmers cannot get tested for several weeks, you would think that's a common lab test done all the time. They do make a home test now, but I have no idea how accurate it is, but might be worthwhile and then do a "real" test if you feel it's necessary.
#251 of 325 Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknitter View Post
Hi veganmama719! Welcome!!!

That seems weird that your DH's swimmers cannot get tested for several weeks, you would think that's a common lab test done all the time. They do make a home test now, but I have no idea how accurate it is, but might be worthwhile and then do a "real" test if you feel it's necessary.
Hi Susan, I thought it was a bit wierd too! They said they can only "process so many a day", LOL! I might order a home test.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#252 of 325 Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Speedknitter, how frustating about the timing of dh's trip! With my cycle now forecast out now by FF, it actually gives me a shot of trying right before dh leaves in November and right after he gets back in December. Of course, my cycle will probably have shifted somewhat by then, but I was shocked that with his 26-day trip we could possibly be lucky enough to have a window in both months that bracket it. :
#253 of 325 Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Oops, double post.

Guess I can edit this to say that I am sorry, massaginmommy, that you are reaching the end of your tolerance for TTC. I know it's hard to give up the dream of having another child but continuing to TTC can be excruciating, too.
#254 of 325 Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Hi everyone. Just wanted to pop in to tell you about this article I just read. A woman in Siberia just gave birth to a BIG baby, but the best part is...she is 43. Just thought I would share.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20995289...5773?GT1=10412

Nothing is new with me. I'm feeling better, less depressed I guess. I'll be 42 next week. DH and I are going away for the weekend. My first time ever away from the kids. I'm looking forward to it but I know I will miss them. My Aunt will babysit and I know they will be fine.

Hope you all are doing well.

Lynne

Homeschooling mom to 2 boys (4/01) and (1/05)
#255 of 325 Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM

New to this thread...

Yikes, that IS a big baby! I wanted to stop by and say that I got my BFP (!!) yesterday, 3 months after my miscarriage when I lost the baby at 14 weeks. It took me 8 weeks to get AF back, so this was the 2nd cycle.

I'm 42, almost 43 in November. I kept up with the vitex, but the only thing I did differently was start accupuncture this cycle.

Praying for a healthy pregnancy and baby. And best wishes to all of you.
#256 of 325 Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM

That baby is ready for pre-school!

Congrats on the BFP odilemarie, that gives us all HOPE!!!
Hmm, acupuncture, that might be a good thing to try. What does vitex do?

Another November birthday? when is yours?

Lynne, glad you are feeling better and have a GREAT trip, that sounds like fun and something that DH and I will most likely do soon also.
#257 of 325 Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Thanks, speedknitter. I'm November 7. I noticed that there were a lot of us in November!

Vitex helps to lengthen luteal phase and also to decrease FSH, which is always good for us older moms. I took from CD1 until ovulation each month.
#258 of 325 Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odilemarie View Post
Vitex helps to lengthen luteal phase and also to decrease FSH, which is always good for us older moms. I took from CD1 until ovulation each month.

Where do I get some? Would Whole Paycheck (Foods) have it?
#259 of 325 Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 PM

Heh! They sure should. I get mine at the local food co-op. It's also known as chasteberry, but I always find it under vitex. I take the capsules, but I have heard others say that the tincture is better/more absorbable.
#260 of 325 Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM

Congrats Odilemarie!!! I'm glad you were able to conceive again so soon after your loss. I'm on my second cycle following my loss in July. AF is due tomorrow and I feel pretty sure she will show. It's okay though..we aren't really trying, just not avoiding. I'm very conflicted about TTC and go back and forth about it all the time. I hope you have a very happy and healthy 9 months. Keep us posted

Homeschooling mom to 2 boys (4/01) and (1/05)
#261 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 AM

Congratulations, odilemarie!!
#262 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 AM

Maybe I need to try vitex. I knew it lengthened LP which I don't have a problem with but I didn't know it lowered FSH. Not that I have been tested but it can't hurt right?

Congrats Odilemarie

#263 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 01:20 AM

I went out tonight and bought some. we have a neat place here called Elephant Pharmacy that specializes in cool homeopathic stuff, and even have chinese herbalist on staff to help. Also checking into acupuncture...I am feeling much more encouraged that there are definitely things we can do to improve our chances, without too much "medical" intervention.

ON a downer note, I think we have missed our window this month. I think I O'd today, felt the "twinge" and I am CD14 today. DH does not come back until Friday
#264 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM

wow that is cool to have that place. So how much vitex do you take and when?

#265 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massaginmommy View Post
wow that is cool to have that place. So how much vitex do you take and when?
Let me get my *ahem* reading glasses so I can read the tiny print on the bottle.

"Take 1 capsule two or three times daily for 8 to 12 weeks thereafter take 1 capsule daily. Vitex works gently best results obtained with continuous long term use.

Caution: do not use during pregnancy"

I guess as soon as you know you are pregnant you stop taking it? They are 400mg capsules and the brand I got is Nature's Way which should be available just about anywhere. They also had the "raw" stuff there, I guess you would make tea out of it or something but the capsules are a little more convenient and less expensive. It was cheap, about $7 for the bottle of 100
#266 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM

LOL I certainly know about reading glasses I have 3 pair strategically placed around my house. I swear the print on thigs is smaller and smaller. It can't be me right?
I was thinking you are supposed to take the vitex until O but that wouldn't make sense so I guess until you get a BFP.

#267 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Thank god it is not just me, I swear my eyes went bad OVERNIGHT when Julie was about 6 months old I was just about 42 y.o. then.

I'll try to do some more research on Vitex and see what you are supposed to do i.e. when to stop taking it. Since I just O'd (I think) I guess I can take straight on through to the next cycle anyway, think I will take 2 per day.

It makes for interesting burps
#268 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Mmmm tasty burps LOL I am going to stop byt heh store and see if I can find some. I am in the 2ww though so I probably won't by any until I see if flo shows up.

#269 of 325 Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 PM

Awww, thanks for the congrats. You're all so sweet.

Yes, I only took vitex from CD1 through O, because of the not-supposed-to-take-if-pregnant thing. If you google, you will find people who advocate for both ways though: take it entire cycle, vs. take it only through ovulation.

I took whatever the label says, I think 80 mg capsule/ 2xday. Also, it is very important that you do not take vitex if you are taking clomid. You'll find that all over the web, because it has similar action to clomid.
#270 of 325 Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 AM

Stupid fertility question here, but here goes:

So, females are born with a finite number of eggs. And as you get closer to menopause, eggs drop faster than one at a time. But what affect does pregnancy and nursing (prePPAF) play into the equation? Does your timetable slide a bit, or do you drop even more eggs? :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page