Newbie with questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really new to this whole TTC part, I've spent countless years TTA so I know that part by heart. So I've got some questions that I'm sure you all know the answers to:
First - when I have EWCM, does that mean I'm Oing, or is that a sign I'm going to and how long before Oing does it show up?

Second - does anyone know of a good book to read about NFP that doesn't have a Christian theme to it? I tried reading The Art of Natural Family Planning, but unfortunately couldn't get past the overtly Christian overtones. Nothing wrong with it, but I was looking for something a bit more...secular.

Third - how do I get started with charting/temp taking and all that? Should I even bother yet, as we will be TTCing starting next month?

I'm sure there's more questions to follow these, and I thank you for your patience in dealing with them. Have a day!!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM

If you haven't read Toni Weschler's "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that's the book for you! It's a classic; the "bible" of TTC and quite leftist.

As to the charting...well, I would totally do it. If something goes oddly the information will be really useful and if it doesn't you've got a bizarre new hobby. But, seriously, I really enjoy charting. You get all this fascinating insight into the nuances of how your body works that you didn't have before. Very empowering.

Good Luck!

Beth, SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09 and my little panda bear 2/6/12. I nursed with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid for 18 months!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Welcome!

I'm not a super expert (I know in general how to chart, but I don't do it), but here's my understanding of things:

EWCM indicates that you're fertile. Not that you're o'ing that moment, or even that day. You may get EWCM for a couple of days before you o. (You may get it at a couple of other random points during your cycle, too - if you're using cm to check fertility, you should also pay attention to the position and feel of your cervix.) EWCM should decrease after you o, but it can't really tell you exactly when you'll o.

Toni Wechsler's "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is really popular around here, and not faith-oriented.

As for charting and temping, you'll find a lot of info about that in the Wechsler book, and you can also register at FertilityFriend.com for their free 20-session class. You might want to start before you begin TTC just to get a feel for it and see what your cycle is like normally. I'm not sure where you are in your cycle, but some people (most people?) recommend starting your chart on the first day of your cycle (ie the first day of full menstrual flow). Starting in the middle of your cycle will give you an incomplete chart, and the information may not be as useful - especially if you want to have a "normal" chart to measure your "am I pregnant" charts against.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

N,: Wife and Wannabe AP Mamma. 11/08. 9/09. Wishing for a , but wondering if I should.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I just stopped BC pills last month, so I'm not even sure what my regular cycle would be like. I started writing a "fertility journal", basically noting dates, flow, cramps, cm, moods, etc. I guess that charting and temp stuff is the next logical step. Thanks for that website link - I'm going to check it out when I get home. One more question for you - if we dtd on the same day I noticed ewcm (you know, heat of the moment thing), would I really need to worry about being pregnant this soon? Like I said, I'm new to this side of fertility...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 08-09-2007, 03:23 PM

It's not impossible. EWCM is basically a facilitator for the sperm/egg union. You could o two days later, and if you had good EWCM, it could get that two day old sperm safely to your egg.

Some women do get pregnant right off the pill. (Just like some women get pregnant on the pill.) Other women find it takes a few months for their cycles to get normal. I stopped using the pill in May - my first cycle was a couple of days longer than I was used to, but has since returned to normal.

The shortest answer to your question is: Maybe. It's certainly possible.

N,: Wife and Wannabe AP Mamma. 11/08. 9/09. Wishing for a , but wondering if I should.

User Tag List