Mothering Forum banner

Could chlorine from a swimming pool affect fertility?

11K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  airmide_m 
#1 ·
Yes I know this is probably a silly question. I'm wondering if going swimming in a chlorinated pool could have an adverse effect on fertility. From inhalation, skin absorbtion or it actually getting inside (yes not likely it would get inside but I think not impossible.) Does anyone know?

#2 ·
You know, at first I was going to say no. I mean, I know that heat will negatively affect fertility - ie a lot of time in the hot tub will negatively affect sperm count, as will having a lap top in your lap, but I hadn't heard anything about chlorine in pools. Then I started google searching! There is some research that talks about mimicing of estrogen and working as a endocrine disrupter... so I don't know. Definately research it further - once in a while probably wouldn't matter but I don't know that I'd join a swim team again, ykwim?

#3 ·
Thanks! Yeah actually that was another question I forgot...I know heat is bad for sperm *production*....is heat bad at all for me, pre-ovulation? I don't go in hot baths or hottubs or anything after O but pre-O I do like to once in a while.

I need to exercise more and I was hoping to do some aqua aerobics and swimming but I'm nervous about the effects of chlorine and don't want to diminish my fertility at all. Especially considering I have estrogen dominance/low progesterone and Hashimoto's hypothyroid I guess I should do extra research!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.