Foods and herbs to aid in conception? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please share any and all herbs and foods you may know of that could aid in fertility. For both the male and female. TIA!
#2 of 74 Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM

It would be so nice to get a list of things from everyone!

This is what I do:

vitex
red raspberry leaf tea
prenatal vitamin
healthy food
lots of water

I read an article the other day and have been meaning to post the info. Here are the the highlights:

Avoid refined grains, unhealthy fats, processed foods

Increase these three 'powerhouse' foods:
-beans - because of the iron - 'higher intake of iron, lower risk of infertility', 'plant-based nonheme iron more effective than animal-based heme iron and as effective as iron supplements', ex. 1 cup white beans gives half daily iron - other sources: lentils, spinach, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, and molasses. Beans also improve insulin metabolism and high insulin levels can disrupt ovulation and make it harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus
-full fat dairy - improves ovarian function, while low fat dairy decreases fertility by disrupting ovulation. Cut back on other sources of saturated fat.
-avocado - the monunsaturated fats provide the raw materials for reproductive hormones in both men and women. Also, skip trans fats and use other good-fat sources: olive oil, canola oil, nuts, nut butters.

Finally, eat organic! recent studies suggest a link between pesticide exposure and impaired hormonal function in women and decreased semen quality in men.

This info is all from Delicious Living Magazine September 2007.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#3 of 74 Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
It would be so nice to get a list of things from everyone!

This is what I do:

vitex
red raspberry leaf tea
prenatal vitamin
healthy food
lots of water

I read an article the other day and have been meaning to post the info. Here are the the highlights:

Avoid refined grains, unhealthy fats, processed foods

Increase these three 'powerhouse' foods:
-beans - because of the iron - 'higher intake of iron, lower risk of infertility', 'plant-based nonheme iron more effective than animal-based heme iron and as effective as iron supplements', ex. 1 cup white beans gives half daily iron - other sources: lentils, spinach, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, and molasses. Beans also improve insulin metabolism and high insulin levels can disrupt ovulation and make it harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus
-full fat dairy - improves ovarian function, while low fat dairy decreases fertility by disrupting ovulation. Cut back on other sources of saturated fat.
-avocado - the monunsaturated fats provide the raw materials for reproductive hormones in both men and women. Also, skip trans fats and use other good-fat sources: olive oil, canola oil, nuts, nut butters.

Finally, eat organic! recent studies suggest a link between pesticide exposure and impaired hormonal function in women and decreased semen quality in men.

This info is all from Delicious Living Magazine September 2007.
Nice info you got there!!!
I am taking prenatal and vitex....this is my first month on it so we'll see how it works.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#4 of 74 Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM

vitex chasteberry is my favorite herb. it helps regulate the pituitary gland which in turn helps one have more consistent/normal reproductive hormones - which help one get AND STAY pregnant.

stop taking vitex chasteberry after ovulation though. replace that with progesterone cream or suppositories if you have concerns about low progesterone levels. (low is anything less than 10).

hth.

bettyann

ps this herb is how my david and current bean were conceived. although with david's pg, i had to be on progesterone suppositories as well as i had multiple losses before that - more than likely due to low progesterone levels - i was closely monitored as i was doing i/f tx to conceive. (i never told the docs about the vitex as i was on 'rest' cycles - took me 7 cycles (12 months) to conceive david. - at the time, we were saving up to do more ivf cycles as we were out of retirement money and savings by then . . . . we (ok, *I*) got real obsessed about having a baby.
#5 of 74 Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies! Super helpful!
#6 of 74 Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM

susun s. weed says these in combination with red raspberry leaf:
red clover
stinging nettler

some others which I don't do. I make teas out of the first 3 (or, in fact, buy the stinging nettle), and thenI I combine them differently.

everything with b vitamins is good!

hh2.gif

#7 of 74 Old 09-05-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ah yes, clover. TONS growing here in our yard. its yummy on salad!
Question in regards to red rasp. leaf tea...I just read somewhere it is not rec. for BFIng which I still am..... is this a concern?
#8 of 74 Old 09-05-2007, 02:30 PM

I have read that soy isoflavones can help to increase ovulation in people that have ovulation type issues. You take it just like clomid (days 1-5 or 5-9, etc) of your cycle. It has the same type properties as clomid, just a little less harsh on your body.

I did take it one month and it seemed to give me a stronger O, but I did not have an ultrasound or anything to back that up.

I also have used evening primrose oil tablets to help with CM - it definitely does make a difference. I just take 1 capsule each day starting around day 4 or 5 of my cycle through ovulation.
#9 of 74 Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemum21580 View Post
Question in regards to red rasp. leaf tea...I just read somewhere it is not rec. for BFIng which I still am..... is this a concern?
RRl is totally safe for bfing. There's been a lot of negative press about it but to be honest, it is such a gentle herb filled with B vitamins and many vital minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron) that to NOT use it during pregnancy and bfing seems a little strange to me. It has been known to promote a plentiful milk supply...where did you hear is was a concern?

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#10 of 74 Old 09-05-2007, 02:45 PM

birthdancedoula, so would you recommend using it in the first trimester? I also hear conflicting info on that... thanks!

hh2.gif

#11 of 74 Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM

The general dosage most mws I know reccommend is 2 tsp herb to 1 c water and 1-2 c/day during 1st trimester, 2-3 c/day during 2nd trimester
3-4 c or more/day during 3rd trimester. In infusion form it can actually decrease the risk of miscarriage. Like anything though, you can overdo it. If you stick with the infusion in the dosage I mentioned RRL is perfectly safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#12 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM

I'm taking a prenatal vitamin and I just started taking evening primrose oil. I'll be taking the evening primrose oil until ovulation and then I'll switch to taking a fish or flax oil.
#13 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 PM

oceane - I think I heard that the reason some people recommend not taking RRL tea in the first trimester is because you could develop an aversion to it if you are having nausea. And it has so many benefits in pregnancy that it would really suck to have an aversion to it.

#14 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 PM

The cycle I got my BFP I started 500mg/day of EPO. I also was drinking way more water than normal. I was hoping to increase my EWCM. To be completely honest, I can't say I noticed a difference in the EWCM but something must have helped out.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#15 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Where can I get Red Raspberry leaf tea?? Does it have to be homemade or does it come in teabag form?

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#16 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 04:59 PM

I've read that green tea increases your CM. Anybody know if this is true?

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#17 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM

i personally wouldn't take RRL from O to AF. i did this one cycle and had terrible uterine cramping. AF to O should be tonifying to the uterus though.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#18 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 08:12 PM

I started drinking RRL tea regularly last cycle and continued from O through AF and had the most cramp-free period I've ever had. So I guess the effects differ.

Yogi Tea makes organic RRL and I get it at a natural food market (in bag form).

#19 of 74 Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 PM

i just bought vitex at GNC. when should i take it and how much?

i feel like i am prepping for a marathon
#20 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 AM

Someone answer my questions or ya'll are gonna get it.

#21 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Someone answer my questions or ya'll are gonna get it.

HAHAHA

I've herad the same thing. I'd just go ahead and drink it, I mean... it's good for you anyway.
#22 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Red Raspberry Leaf is great for all things female. I just pick a whole bunch while I pick the berries, dry, powder in a mortar, and make into pills. I also make it in teas - yummy with clover, rose hips, and lemon balm.
I take Evening Primrose Oil capsules - 1 a day at 500mg
Flax Seed Oil - 2 capsules a day (don't use fish oil, as it may contain mercury and other toxins, plus when you burp later on, it tastes nasty! )
Prenatal vitamins with plenty of folic acid
Holy Basil and Green Tea - made by Organic India - sold as Tulsi Green Tea (Holy Basil is good for regulating female hormones). DH drinks a cup of regular green tea a day to help fight free radicals that may damage sperm.
Damenia - good for increasing sperm motility in men

I have a bunch more at home I take, but I can't remember them at the moment. But cut back on meats and dairy (take calcium supplements instead). Eat organic, lots of beans, nuts, and seeds. Eat the rainbow of veggies and fruits. Walk for 15 minutes each morning to help increase Vit D exposure and get some exercise. I also recommend doing a month long heavy metal cleanse with Renew Life CleanseSmart. It supposedly cleans out mercury, lead, and other toxic heavy metals. I'm almost finished with mine, and although it may bind up the bowels a bit, I'm willing to do anything to make sure my body is as toxin-free as I can make it.

I'll come back this evening and add the rest of the herbs DH and I are taking...Hope this helps!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#23 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Triana,
How many mgs of flax oil do you take a day?
#24 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 PM

I can tell you when I get home at 4pm. I just have the pill case here at work, not the bottle. Sorry...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#25 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I've read that green tea increases your CM. Anybody know if this is true?

We were having trouble concieving and my midwife had us both drinking green tea every day and also RRL for me. She didn't tell me why though, sorry. However, we did get pregnant awful fast after that! I was on vitex too. I'd have to check on the dosage she told me to take. I'm going to start taking it again. 20 months pp and no AF! Oh, she did have specific directions for me for after getting pregnant. You are supposed to stay on the vitex for a certain number of weeks (15? Again I'd have to check) and then wean yourself off over the course of a week or two. It helps you to maintain your pregnancy, but you aren't supposed to take it for the entire time.

Oh, and can someone tell me more about the primrose oil? How much? Is capsule form okay? I heard that it helps your EWCM?

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#26 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Damenia - good for increasing sperm motility in men

What IS Damenia? And where do you get it?

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#27 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Oh....also, if you are into "Traditional Foods" they had a conception thread going on over in that subforum. TF people would say to increase your animal fats if you want to increase your fertility. Obviously, if you are vegan or vegetarian, you wouldn't be doing that though....

#28 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Where is everybody getting their RRL tea?? I can't find it anywhere.

#29 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 05:16 PM

I get mine in the Whole Body section at Whole Foods. Yogi Tea and at least one other brand has it in tea bags. I'd think any store with an herbal/homeopathic section would have it.

N,: Wife and Wannabe AP Mamma. 11/08. 9/09. Wishing for a , but wondering if I should.
#30 of 74 Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Where is everybody getting their RRL tea?? I can't find it anywhere.
The absolute best quality RRL tea I have found is here. I usually just put a handful in a quart mason jar w/ hot water. I let it steep until its cool, strain, and drink iced. I like it both ways but prefer it cold.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page