Normal digital thermometer ok for charting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took my temperature "just for fun" my last cycle with a normal non-digital thermometer. This new cycle I´ll do it with a normal digital thermometer. Is that ok for that purpose? What really is so different with that and a BBT thermometer? What I´ve seen online is that it only has bigger numbers so you see better. Is it really necessary to have? Sounds just like marketing to me, but I´m not sure.

TIA
#2 of 6 Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

I'm no help for you but I'm lurking since I haven't been able to find a replacement for my BBT one yet.
#3 of 6 Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 PM

You're correct that a BBT thermometer measures more precisely, giving you two decimal places. It also doesn't measure as wide of a temp range (goes somewhere from about 96 up to around 99, I think). If your temps aren't very close together from day to day, it'll be fine. I use a regular thermometer and haven't had any trouble with it.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Ditto for me. I just use a regular digital thermometer. So far, it's worked well enough for my charting needs.
#5 of 6 Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 PM

not all digital basal therms read to two decimal places - the BD digital basal only reads to one, which is ideal if you're charting by hand. You can use any thermometer that reads to every tenth of a degree. Older digitals read to every other tenth (like a regular glass therm, 98.0, 98.2, 98.4 instead of 98.0, 98.1, 98.2) so they aren't precise enough to use when you're looking for a change in temp that can be as small as .2F
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 PM

So if my temps aren't close a themometer that reads in thenths (ex:98.6) will work until I can find a BBT?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page