Using Progest Natural Progesterone Cream During Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
I was researching whether it is safe to take the natural progesterone cream PROGEST while pregnant.

The box says it is a natural progesterone cream, but on the warning label, it states “This product contains Progesterone, a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.”

The ingredients are as follows:

Water (Purified), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Leaf Juice, Carthamus Tinctorius (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Glycerin, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetal Alcohol, Sodium Behenoyl Lactylate, Stearic Acid, USP Progesterone, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Carbomer

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#2 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 PM

I don't see wild yam as an ingredient so the one you listed might be a synthetic form of progesterone, which is not good. My natural progesterone cream (Organic Excellence) doesn't have the warning.

Are you looking for an over-the-counter alternative to Prometrium? From what I read and remember, as far as pregnancy goes, natural progesterone cream wouldn't be strong enough during pregnancy. I have used the natural progesterone cream from post O to AF. I have recently started using Progon B sublingual progesterone. And after reading more about it, I plan on using it during pregnancy too.

HTH!

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#3 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Everything in the state of Ca is known to cause cancer. :

I am surprised there aren't warning labels on sink faucets

We have 4 children, everyone of them I have used natural progesterone to stay preggo. I use the progesterone 13+ weeks.

Edited to add the last baby I used the progon B an spotted pretty heavily for a week+. It went on to be a successful pregnancy. Not sure the Progon was quite strong enough. And the progon didnt help my morning sickness much.
#4 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there, no, I am not looking for an alternative to anything, I am trying to conceive, and MIGHT be pregnant (too soon to tell) and was just looking for something to help me maintain a pregnancy and feel good as well, as I am suffering a bit of depression. I never had a miscarriage, but sometimes I think I have low progesterone because I get hot flashes alot, and I know that this creme is recommended for estrogen dominated symptoms such as that.

So, are you saying that a natural creme would be safe for pregnancy? And of so, how long do you take it? And would there be safety issues to the fetus if you just stopped taking it? What is Progon B sublingual progesterone?

Also, what does AF stand for? You said you use the creme from Post O to AF.

Thanks again for all your help!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#5 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Everything in the state of Ca is known to cause cancer. :

I am surprised there aren't warning labels on sink faucets

We have 4 children, everyone of them I have used natural progesterone to stay preggo. I use the progesterone 13+ weeks.
Hi there, thanks for responding. What made you use the creme in the first place? Where you having miscarriages? And by 13+ weeks you mean the first 13 weeks of your pregnancy? And then do you just stop, or do you have to gradually stop?

What was your regimine?
Thanks again! :-)

#6 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 04:36 PM

I used Progest for the first 3 months of my pregnancy with my DS.
#7 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM

I just wanted to add that my gynecologist who told me to use pro-gest natural progesterone cream (made by emerita) for ttc also told me to keep using it once I got my BFP. He said that "pro-gest" means pro-gestation (just as progesterone is the pregnancy supporting hormone) and that it can help support a pregnancy.

HTH, GL !
#8 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanmommy View Post
I just wanted to add that my gynecologist who told me to use pro-gest natural progesterone cream (made by emerita) for ttc also told me to keep using it once I got my BFP. He said that "pro-gest" means pro-gestation (just as progesterone is the pregnancy supporting hormone) and that it can help support a pregnancy.

HTH, GL !
I am so illiterate when it comes to these abbreviations. What does BFP stand for?

#9 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
I used Progest for the first 3 months of my pregnancy with my DS.
So after 3 months, did you just stop it cold turkey? That is safe for the baby?

#10 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM

I taper off progesterone after 13 weeks pregnancy.

A dr once recommend I try progesterone being we had tried for 2+ years to get preggo. It worked. After that first pregnancy I then had a mc because I didn't use the progesterone faithfully. After that I haven't had to use progesterone to get preggo only to stay that way.

And from all the reading I did natural progesterone is perfectly safe for preggo mommies. Even might for higher IQ's in the baby.
#11 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilM View Post
I am so illiterate when it comes to these abbreviations. What does BFP stand for?

BFP = Big Fat Positive (on a pregnancy test... meaning you are pregnant)
#12 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh haha! Cool. I hoping for one of those this month!

#13 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

So, how much progesterone cream should be used daily?

#14 of 15 Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 AM

when i was on progesterone cream, i was on 50 mg 2 times a day from O-AF. After loosing 2 pregnancies in a row, due to low progesterone, I am on 200 mg vag suppositories from O-AF and 400 MG once i get pregnant, until 20 weeks, and then we will see what my bloodwork says. This is all done under the care of my "team" consisting of my Homebirth midwife, a naturopath, and an OB, who are all working together to help me get a baby.

I dont know anything about strengths of the OTC progesterone cream, or how the dosing works. I just know that my bloodwork shows I have VERY low Progesterone and it never seems to increase at any point in my cycle, naturally.

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#15 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 11:44 AM

{I dont know anything about strengths of the OTC progesterone cream, or how the dosing works. I just know that my bloodwork shows I have VERY low Progesterone and it never seems to increase at any point in my cycle, naturally.}

Got Cloth, I was wondering what your bloodwork levels were. I just tested progest. day 21 the last two months and got 6.7 and 4.2 and am pretty concerned about it. We've been TTC for 10 cycles. My prolactin is also high which seems to go along with low pro. I see my OB this Friday. Anyways, got this thread out again becuase I was wondering if you could tell me what it's been like taking progest. Effects on cycle? Side Effects?
TIA!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page