Any Vegans TTC? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The non-vegan Brewer Diet seems sorta gross. I've become a huge fan of Marilyn Shannon's "Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition." She advocates a mostly whole foods, mostly veggie diet with pretty potent vitamins. Apparently she had healthy babies until she was 48 by eating healthy and taking high potency vitamins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I guess I'm a little worried that I feel just fine--I'm 5 w 1 d today, and I feel great--except for the boobs. Do I not have enough hormones swirling around?!?
I felt the same way with DS. My boobs were so sore that I fantasized about jumping into the nearest snowbank topless. I had no nausea, but was so ravenously hungry that I kept a snack on my bedside table for when I inevitably woke up in the middle of the night starving.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
The non-vegan Brewer Diet seems sorta gross. I've become a huge fan of Marilyn Shannon's "Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition." She advocates a mostly whole foods, mostly veggie diet with pretty potent vitamins. Apparently she had healthy babies until she was 48 by eating healthy and taking high potency vitamins.
where did you get the book? amazon.de doesn't seem to have it, neither do my libraries here in Germany... it's a pretty old book, right?

hh2.gif

Old 01-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
where did you get the book? amazon.de doesn't seem to have it, neither do my libraries here in Germany... it's a pretty old book, right?
Yes, I think it's out-of-print (I think the edition I have is from the mid-nineties). She has a new edition coming out some time this spring.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Amazon.com in the US is carrying the paperback edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Fertility-Cycl.../dp/0926412094

I don't know what shipping costs to Germany would be, though...
Old 01-05-2008, 04:25 PM

thanks catemom and amylaz. I'll try some more libraries first. but it does sound like a good advice book.

hh2.gif

Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Good day everyone!

I need an update where everyone is in their cycle so I can live vicariously through you for awhile,

I am CD 3, still a bit sick too.

Did some CD 3 bloodwork today so we will see if the chinese herbs have made my FSH go down. I have a followup appointment at the fertility Clinic on Friday.

How are our preggos?

DS, who is sick, is sitting on my lap so I'll hopefully be back later for more personals.........

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
Old 01-06-2008, 05:11 PM

are you finally feeling better though? illness= makes me want to cut up a pear now just to get some vitamins if the chinese herbs didn't make the fsh go down, what would be your options? of they did, does that change anything for you?

I'm on CD10, dry, nothing and I discarded my temps because I slept in both days this weekend. much needed. remember, you can see my chart if you click on the whale. I might have to make it more obvious... but the whale next to the chart symbol wouldn't look as cute, so... Since I had a 7 day menstruation I don't expect any changes soon.
what I do: 1 glass of grapefruit juice
1 smoothie (oat or rice milk with frozen fruit and flaxseed oil), ok, it's more like a milk shake
the usual vitamins
nettle/rrl/red clover infusions
hopefully oatstraw infusions after tomorrow (if I get to the store)
1 cup green tea

yummy stuff, most of it.

hh2.gif

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Veganmama, FSH is Follicle Stimulating Hormone, right? If so, why would you want it to go down? I thought you'd want those follicles to be as stimulated as possible to release an egg. What am I missing?

The morning sickness has really started to kick in for me today. I've had bouts of it on and off for the last week or so, but today it has been pretty constant and stronger. I'm wearing my Sea Bands, and they do take the edge off of it. Craving salt right now - I know Lay's potato chips are so bad for me, but the combo of tummy settling potato carbs plus salt is the only thing that sounds appealing!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 PM

AmyLaz, ooh, the Lay's sound kind of good to me, too!

I've had a couple of touches of nausea too in the last couple of days, but only when I have an empty stomach. Nothing too serious yet--it's actually reassuring, though, to feel a bit of it.

I contacted a local midwife and she sent me an information packet about her practice. I was encouraged because she encourages her clients to eat about 30% raw, plus a lot of vegetables and nuts. : that I'll like her! (I didn't like the other midwife practice that I visited last week . . . )

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 PM

Hey ladies. Just got TCOYF, so have been reading when ever I get a chance. I'm doing a 10 day cleanse because DH thinks I am "toxic". I really don't think it is necessary, but if it makes him feel better about TTC, I'm all for it. Other than that, just waiting to O. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
AmyLaz, ooh, the Lay's sound kind of good to me, too!

I've had a couple of touches of nausea too in the last couple of days, but only when I have an empty stomach. Nothing too serious yet--it's actually reassuring, though, to feel a bit of it.

I contacted a local midwife and she sent me an information packet about her practice. I was encouraged because she encourages her clients to eat about 30% raw, plus a lot of vegetables and nuts. : that I'll like her! (I didn't like the other midwife practice that I visited last week . . . )
what happened at the other practice? only if it isn't too personal, of course. but yay for a nice one you can choose! It's so important that you like those people.

amylaz: it's ok to eat junk if it's the only thing you can have at the moment. any nutrient is fine, potatoes have b vitamins hopefully you'll feel better soon and until then your baby takes what it needs from your stores. but you know all that, you have two children already! just to reassure you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow~Pea View Post
Hey ladies. Just got TCOYF, so have been reading when ever I get a chance. I'm doing a 10 day cleanse because DH thinks I am "toxic". I really don't think it is necessary, but if it makes him feel better about TTC, I'm all for it. Other than that, just waiting to O. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
does he do it with you? because a cleance sounds like no fun eating-wise. what makes him think you're toxic? I hope it's not too hard on you!

I actually worked out for 30 minutes on saturday and am all motivated again today. it's raining so much here and I need to go outside and get all those herbs, although I actually like rain it is a challenge.

hh2.gif

Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLaz View Post
Craving salt right now - I know Lay's potato chips are so bad for me, but the combo of tummy settling potato carbs plus salt is the only thing that sounds appealing!
I hear ya! I've been known to eat the salt from packages of soft pretzels straight. Love that big chunky kosher salt.
I hope your m/s doesn't get any worse.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Amy, I was so sick with DD, they only thing that made me feel better was McDonald's french fries. And I NEVER go to McDonald's. So I wouldn't feel too bad about the Lay's potato chips.

When you get older your ovaries stop listening to the FSH and develop less follicles. So you produce MORE FSH to try and stimulate your ovaries. So if you have a high FSH count on CD 3 it means you have a diminished ovarian reserve.
You can reverse this, according to traditional chinese medicine, by returning your body to a more "youthful" hormal state. This will, among other things, increase blood flow to your ovaries, then they function better and your FSH will go down as your body won't need as much to produce follies.

Your regimine sounds good oceane.

My chest cold is still lingering but I am definitely on the mend now. CD 4, should O in 9 days.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
what happened at the other practice? only if it isn't too personal, of course. but yay for a nice one you can choose! It's so important that you like those people.
The midwife I spent the most time with scolded me a couple of times, or made me feel like she was scolding me. They did a pregnancy test (ok, I knew I was pregnant, but i figured it was a good in--maybe they felt like they were too busy to have me there, BUT I had also requested a consultation/information packet the week before and was never contacted) and the pee test instructions said to leave my open cup of pee on a shelf in the public bathroom. When I went back in the office, I was a little bit uncomfortable with that, so I asked "Do I really just leave my pee in a cup on the shelf?" and the midwife said, "Yes, just a minute! I'm getting there as fast as I can!" So I apologized for sounding impatient and explained that I was just a bit uncomfortable with it. She scolded me a second time about something else--I don't remember what, but something trivial. I figured that was a really bad sign. There are two other midwives in the practice, but I was told, "S is very, very busy, and T is going on maternity leave." Ok, so that probably leaves me with Scoldy. No thanks!

Quote:
I actually worked out for 30 minutes on saturday and am all motivated again today. it's raining so much here and I need to go outside and get all those herbs, although I actually like rain it is a challenge.
Isn't working out great? I love the way it feeds off itself and generates energy.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Quick question for the preggos Did either of you consciously avoid soy for a few days leading up to O? Or do either of you know for sure that you DID consume soy within the 4 days leading up to O?
I am hoping this "swimmers don't like soy" stuff is just bad science.

Thx

Old 01-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Catherine, I am so sorry about your midwife experience. She sounds horrible!

Mine was amazing!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Quick question for the preggos Did either of you consciously avoid soy for a few days leading up to O? Or do either of you know for sure that you DID consume soy within the 4 days leading up to O?

Thx
I know for sure that I DID consume soy within the 4 days leading up to O. I drink soy milk every day, and I use products (like Earth Balance Spread) that have soybean oil in them. I also eat soy yogurt, soy pudding, soy ice ceream, edamame, and the occasional Boca Chik'n Patty. I did not cut back on soy at all while ttc. HTH!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Catherine, I am so sorry about your midwife experience. She sounds horrible!
I agree! Sounds like they didn't have the time or patience to take on another client. Glad you're moving on to someone else!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I hear ya! I've been known to eat the salt from packages of soft pretzels straight. Love that big chunky kosher salt.
I hope your m/s doesn't get any worse.
Thanks. Not too bad today. I've found that Baked Ruffles take the edge off :
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

oceane - glad you're starting an exercise routine! I have incompetent cervix, so I'm staying as active as possible in the first trimester because I know that come 13 weeks, I'll have to stop any unnecessary exertion.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
oceane - glad you're starting an exercise routine! I have incompetent cervix, so I'm staying as active as possible in the first trimester because I know that come 13 weeks, I'll have to stop any unnecessary exertion.
oh, wow. do you have to stay in bed (or lying down) or do you just have to be very careful in everyday life?

veganmama, I hope with you on the science thing, it's so hard to avoid soy if you're used to eating it a lot. plus I really like most tofu products

hh2.gif

Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Amy, does the cerclage still mean no exercise after the first trimester?

oceane, I just switch out my soymilk for almond and avoid eating tofu for those 4 days. I am lucky that I O pretty reliably on CD 13 though.....

Old 01-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Not too bad today. I've found that Baked Ruffles take the edge off :
Glad you're feeling better. Good to know that Baked Ruffles can be used medicinally!

I'm carrying a giant freezer bag in my purse right now, just in case. I don't think I'm going to need to throw up in it, but it's better to be prepared!

Quote:

Thx
I didn't consciously avoid soy before O--oh, actually, I know for certain that I didn't avoid it, because I like to have a soy protein smoothie most mornings for breakfast, and I'm pretty sure I did in those few pre-O days. That might have been pretty much the only soy I had, though. I'd say it could be bad science.

I've even heard of some women taking soy isoflavones prior to O to help them conceive. Has anyone ever heard of that? Does it move O up?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 PM

I was vegetarian when i conceived my first and vegan + breastfeeding when I got pregnant this time. There was an article in Newsweek about a month ago (I read it online) about a good diet for fertility. While I was reading it I remember thinking that it fit in perfectly with a whole foods based vegan diet. They said that eating less animal protein and more plant protein helped a woman's chances and eating whole, complex grains did as well. Also, not consuming trans fats was related to getting pregnant sooner. Watch your calcium and iron, but other than that, I'd say a healthy, well rounded vegan diet is perfect for conceiving for most women. Also, I know I had soy while TTC so it certainly didn't hurt my chances. Although, I think soy affects different peoples hormones differently.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Glad you're feeling better. Good to know that Baked Ruffles can be used medicinally!

I'm carrying a giant freezer bag in my purse right now, just in case. I don't think I'm going to need to throw up in it, but it's better to be prepared!

I didn't consciously avoid soy before O--oh, actually, I know for certain that I didn't avoid it, because I like to have a soy protein smoothie most mornings for breakfast, and I'm pretty sure I did in those few pre-O days. That might have been pretty much the only soy I had, though. I'd say it could be bad science.

I've even heard of some women taking soy isoflavones prior to O to help them conceive. Has anyone ever heard of that? Does it move O up?
it's like carrying an umbrella: if you don't have it it starts raining! I've been known to carry plastic bags with me on airplanes, unused to this day.

I've heard of soy isoflavones but I have no detailed knowledge..

hh2.gif

Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoginisarah View Post
I was vegetarian when i conceived my first and vegan + breastfeeding when I got pregnant this time. There was an article in Newsweek about a month ago (I read it online) about a good diet for fertility. While I was reading it I remember thinking that it fit in perfectly with a whole foods based vegan diet. They said that eating less animal protein and more plant protein helped a woman's chances and eating whole, complex grains did as well. Also, not consuming trans fats was related to getting pregnant sooner. Watch your calcium and iron, but other than that, I'd say a healthy, well rounded vegan diet is perfect for conceiving for most women. Also, I know I had soy while TTC so it certainly didn't hurt my chances. Although, I think soy affects different peoples hormones differently.
welcome to this thread! you're another fountain of knowledge!

hh2.gif

Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

I hope it's a good day all around.

VeganCupcake Good move getting away from the grouchy midwife. Medical professionals should know better than to be nasty to pregnant women (I was so hormonal, even my husband was afraid of me).

Veganmama719 I did not hold back on the soy at all prior to pg, during pg, or after pg. I had no trouble conceiving with DS, but am having some fertility issues now (which are likely related to my having breastfed DS until a wk ago). Anyway, I hope that helps!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh, wow. do you have to stay in bed (or lying down) or do you just have to be very careful in everyday life?
Quote:
Amy, does the cerclage still mean no exercise after the first trimester?
When pg w/ DS I got a cerclage at 17 weeks and was on strict bedrest from 17-30 weeks - when I took myself off of it b/c I was going crazy! I started contracting against the stitch at 37 weeks so they pulled it and DS was born several hours later. I consulted with my OB when we started ttc this time, and we agreed that we'd do the cerclage at 13-14 weeks, and I would only need to do bedrest if the cervix got too thin/ I had preterm labor/ or I was carrying multiples. No bedrest, but I can only do the activities that get me through my daily life - no walking on the treadmill.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I never thought of doing that, but it's a great plan!

User Tag List