Any Vegans TTC? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My CD 3 bloodwork results were NOT good. She suggested I "move on to injectibles with IUI, right away".
More later if I get a chance from home.........

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow~Pea View Post
as I predicted FF gave me crosshairs for O on CD10. But that's crazy right? I usually have a 12 day LP, so that would make this a 22 day cycle.
I often O super early, yet still have a 24-28 day cycle. Go figure.
(This time I O'd super late and had just started charting again, hence the surprise pregnancy because I thought for sure I was no longer fertile by day 18. All my other babies were conceived via sex between days 8-11.)

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I often O super early, yet still have a 24-28 day cycle. Go figure.
(This time I O'd super late and had just started charting again, hence the surprise pregnancy because I thought for sure I was no longer fertile by day 18. All my other babies were conceived via sex between days 8-11.)
I hope its a good sign for me too then! My temp stayed up today, so I guess I did O. Now on to the 2ww...

Veganmama so sorry about your test results.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

Old 01-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I have it on my Amazon wishlist, but I haven't read it. I'd like to--I suppose I should order it!
it's informative. I have the German version as it's available as a free download from a vegan site. if any of you speak German I can post the link. I like it better than the section in Gill Langley's "Vegan Nutrition" because I don't really measure the individual foods, kwim? Klaper's is more everyday friendly.

what you can download is a vegetarian (but really more vegan) mother and baby guide from viva in the uk: here. it's an annoying format, you really have to save individual sites but if you're interested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
My CD 3 bloodwork results were NOT good. She suggested I "move on to injectibles with IUI, right away".
More later if I get a chance from home.........
oh, I'm sorry veganmama! will you guys be able/willing to do so?

Quote:
I hope its a good sign for me too then! My temp stayed up today, so I guess I did O. Now on to the 2ww...
definitely not cycle buddies now

hh2.gif

Old 01-12-2008, 03:03 PM

The Klaper book sounds interesting. I may have to check it out.

Veganmama Sorry about the bad bloodwork results. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Snow pea I am very close to O'ing, so maybe we'll share at least part of the 2ww together.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 PM

My 2ww got longer today because FF moved my O date from CD10 to CD12, but I am not so sure I agree with this. Will just have to wait and see.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't read the Klaper book, either. I guess I need to spend less time on the computer and more time reading print

Veganmama Do you and DH feel comfortable with the injectibles?

Snow~Pea : for the two week wait!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLaz View Post
I haven't read the Klaper book, either. I guess I need to spend less time on the computer and more time reading print

Veganmama Do you and DH feel comfortable with the injectibles?

Snow~Pea : for the two week wait!
Thanks! And I am with you on needing to spend more time reading books and not online. I have built up quite a collection over the last few months, and have not finished any of them! Must stay away from amazon.com.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks! And I am with you on needing to spend more time reading books and not online. I have built up quite a collection over the last few months, and have not finished any of them! Must stay away from amazon.com.
but there's a lot of good info and even books online, too. so you can combine your passions

what did you get from amazon? just curious and so eager to live through you while waiting to o...

hh2.gif

Old 01-13-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
but there's a lot of good info and even books online, too. so you can combine your passions

what did you get from amazon? just curious and so eager to live through you while waiting to o...
OK *deep breath*, here is a list of the books I have bought in the past few months: Becoming Vegan, Vegan with a Vengance, and Animal Ingredients A to Z a few months ago when I discovered Amazon. Then Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby Naturally, and Natural Family Living. Then more recently I ordered The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears, and Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipies for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook(this one was only $6.00 on Amazon, so definatly worth adding to my order). And most recently I bought TCOYF at Borders(with a coupon of course). I have started every one of these books, but only finished Animal Ingredients. To be fair 2 of them are cookbooks, but I haven't really used those either. So I really need to stop this! Just so you know I do finish books, I did read 2 of Andrew Weil's books last year all the way thru. And I read Jenny McCarthy's book Belly Laughs which was hilarious! Also read Harry Potter 7! And read Skinny Bitch, which I love love loved, and which was the driving force behind my going veg. I think the baby related books are hard to get thru because I am not even pregnant yet, I start to think I am getting ahead of myself or jinxing myself by reading them. Too bad that didn't stop me from ordering them. Oh well, can't say I'm not prepared!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for your kind words.

No, I am not really comfortable with injectibles. For a number of reasons:

I think they can mess your body up and do more harm than good, I am more into the traditional chinese medicine idea where you help your body return to a better hormonal state rather than flooding my body with artificial hormones.

Injectibles are covered by DH's insurance but IUI is not. There is a $400 set up fee and then it is $750 per cycle. For an 8% chance of conception.

I didn't ask if we can do the injectibles without the IUI (DH's swimmers are great).

Sorry this is AAM.....

Old 01-13-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I think they can mess your body up and do more harm than good, I am more into the traditional chinese medicine idea where you help your body return to a better hormonal state rather than flooding my body with artificial hormones.
Yes, veganmama, I have heard about how unpleasant some of these drugs can be. The things women go through! I hope Chinese medicine will help you very soon.

On another note, a woman who lives across the street from me just had her baby via emergency C-section and the babe was 10 lbs 2 oz, and is in the NICU because of trauma received at the birth. I have a feeling it might have been a failed induction--she was past her due date, I think. The baby is not breathing well. I don't know the whole story, as I heard it from another neighbor, but it's sort of thrown me for a loop. I sort of identify with her, for no good reason, so irrationally, I'm worried that we'll have an enormous, traumatized baby, too. And, of course, I feel very sad for her, going home without her baby, and worrying about him.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone, thanks for your kind words.

No, I am not really comfortable with injectibles. For a number of reasons:

Injectibles are covered by DH's insurance but IUI is not. There is a $400 set up fee and then it is $750 per cycle. For an 8% chance of conception.

I didn't ask if we can do the injectibles without the IUI (DH's swimmers are great).

Sorry this is AAM.....

Quote:
OK *deep breath*, here is a list of the books I have bought in the past few months: Becoming Vegan, Vegan with a Vengance, and Animal Ingredients A to Z a few months ago when I discovered Amazon. Then Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby Naturally, and Natural Family Living. Then more recently I ordered The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears, and Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipies for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook(this one was only $6.00 on Amazon, so definatly worth adding to my order). And most recently I bought TCOYF at Borders(with a coupon of course). I have started every one of these books, but only finished Animal Ingredients. To be fair 2 of them are cookbooks, but I haven't really used those either. So I really need to stop this! Just so you know I do finish books, I did read 2 of Andrew Weil's books last year all the way thru. And I read Jenny McCarthy's book Belly Laughs which was hilarious! Also read Harry Potter 7! And read Skinny Bitch, which I love love loved, and which was the driving force behind my going veg. I think the baby related books are hard to get thru because I am not even pregnant yet, I start to think I am getting ahead of myself or jinxing myself by reading them. Too bad that didn't stop me from ordering them. Oh well, can't say I'm not prepared!

I have the "having a baby" mothering book, too, but it's hidden in a drawer I have the zine of the mexican cookbook you ordered (yours is 2 zines in 1) and it actually is pretty good, so get cooking

Quote:

On another note, a woman who lives across the street from me just had her baby via emergency C-section and the babe was 10 lbs 2 oz, and is in the NICU because of trauma received at the birth. I have a feeling it might have been a failed induction--she was past her due date, I think. The baby is not breathing well. I don't know the whole story, as I heard it from another neighbor, but it's sort of thrown me for a loop. I sort of identify with her, for no good reason, so irrationally, I'm worried that we'll have an enormous, traumatized baby, too. And, of course, I feel very sad for her, going home without her baby, and worrying about him.
I'm sure your baby will be fine. it's way too early to worry about that! (of course I would, too, but YOu shouldn't ). I hope your neighbor can carry her baby home soon

hh2.gif

Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

So I had my first appointment with my OB (who I really like and have seen for years) today. Glad it was today b/c I had some brown spotting over the weekend. He reassured me that it was totally fine, and the exam showed no problems. My doc does the first trimester dating ultrasound, so we did that today. We saw the little bean with the heartbeat We got a photo, and I showed it to my kiddos, who are so excited! That ultrasound showed me as 6 weeks 2 days, but by my calculation based on LMP, I'm 7 weeks 1 day. He's having me come back in three weeks for another ultrasound to get a more definitive date. We had a long consult about the cerclage, which we will do at 13-14 weeks. We also discussed some new screening tests that have become available since I was last pregnant 5 years ago. DH and I are not into loads of testing and will read over the literature tonight. My OB is fine with whatever we decide - he's very keen on personal choice. So, good appointment!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM

oceane, we made the cornbread from the dirty south tonight, it was really good. Way better than box stuff. And really easy. I think we are going to make the bar-b-q tofu on Wed. DH is from Texas so that really was the perfect cookbook to add to the collection. Have you made any of the deserts from it? I want to make something for DH birthday, its tomorrow.

Amy, so glad your appt went well and that you like your doc!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 AM

Snowpea I love the books you have ordered. The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is really great, although it will freak you out about hospital births and inductions (shudder!). Once you get pg, make sure to read Birthing From Within. That is the one book that I wish I would have read all the way through and done all the art exercises that go with it. I liked Vegan with a Vengance, but the dinner recipes are not bland enough for little kids. TCOYF should be issued to every young women who has met AF for the first time. Unfortunately, I have quite a serious amazon problem myself, or I'd give you the full annotated list of mom books I have purchased and found useful.

VeganCupcake Those inductions can be pretty crazy (and likely to end in a c/s). That's what happened to me and it turned out to be a good thing (DS had a knot in his cord). DS is perfectly healthy and frighteningly smart, and I seem to have healed up just fine. Anyway, make sure to read about inductions and c/s, it's good to know about that stuff just in case.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 AM

oceane and catemom, thanks for your thoughts about my freak-out over my neighbor's situation. I've read (ok, skimmed, like, a year ago) The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. I probably just need to buy it.

Same thing with Birthing From Within--I read it a year and a half ago, and not being pregnant, didn't do the exercises. It's probably time to start on those, too!

Amy, how are you feeling, nausea-wise? You're a week or two ahead of me, I think.

I've been thinking of starting a vegan/vegetarian thread in my ddc. Should I?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
oceane, we made the cornbread from the dirty south tonight, it was really good. Way better than box stuff. And really easy. I think we are going to make the bar-b-q tofu on Wed. DH is from Texas so that really was the perfect cookbook to add to the collection. Have you made any of the deserts from it? I want to make something for DH birthday, its tomorrow.

Amy, so glad your appt went well and that you like your doc!
I don't have the dirty south part, I only have the zine "hot damn and hell yeah". We've made lentil burgers, black bean chili but no desserts yet. why not, I wonder?

Quote:
oceane and catemom, thanks for your thoughts about my freak-out over my neighbor's situation. I've read (ok, skimmed, like, a year ago) The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. I probably just need to buy it.

Same thing with Birthing From Within--I read it a year and a half ago, and not being pregnant, didn't do the exercises. It's probably time to start on those, too!

Amy, how are you feeling, nausea-wise? You're a week or two ahead of me, I think.

I think you might meet vegans/vegetarians who weren't on the ttc boards, so that might be neat. my answer is yes!

hh2.gif

Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Pretty nauseous at times and the fatigue is beginning to set in, but I have been able to manage pretty well considering I have two kids and husband who works long hours! Sea bands and eating at frequent intervals have been my salvation.

How about starting a vegan/vegetarian thread in the "I'm Pregnant" forum instead of a DDC? That way, we'd have more input. Plus, we could get info from those all along the expecting spectrum so we'll know what to expect down the road. What do you think?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Pretty nauseous at times and the fatigue is beginning to set in, but I have been able to manage pretty well considering I have two kids and husband who works long hours! Sea bands and eating at frequent intervals have been my salvation.

How about starting a vegan/vegetarian thread in the "I'm Pregnant" forum instead of a DDC? That way, we'd have more input. Plus, we could get info from those all along the expecting spectrum so we'll know what to expect down the road. What do you think?
obviously I'm all for that, amy, since I hope to join you gals there soon.

hh2.gif

Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Hey ladies,

I have a major Amazon addiction myself. I have the Henci Goer (much annotated!) and the other one I'd recommend is The Birth Partner. Not that my DH or my sister's DH actually read it but I believe Dh skimmed parts of it.

I agree with Amy about starting a Pregnancy thread. There may notb e many others in your DDC.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I'm going to buy some seabands this morning!

I like the idea of putting the thread in the "I'm Pregnant" forum. In that case, it might even work to do a "vegan" thread--vegetarians are a dime a dozen, you know! I'll start it right now.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
Snowpea I love the books you have ordered. The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is really great, although it will freak you out about hospital births and inductions (shudder!). Once you get pg, make sure to read Birthing From Within. That is the one book that I wish I would have read all the way through and done all the art exercises that go with it. I liked Vegan with a Vengance, but the dinner recipes are not bland enough for little kids. TCOYF should be issued to every young women who has met AF for the first time. Unfortunately, I have quite a serious amazon problem myself, or I'd give you the full annotated list of mom books I have purchased and found useful.
Thanks, I will check out BFW after I get pregnant, maybe I won't be grounded from amazon by then. I am not totally in love with VwaV, didn't realize it would be so tofu heavy. We are not real big on tofu around here, but are trying to give it a 2nd(or 3rd or 4th) chance with the bbq tofu tomorrow night. Tonight we are going out to eat for DH's bday so I am sure he will not be eating anything vegan or even healthy, oh well, he's allowed. I am also sure I will probably be eating a plain baked potato and salad.

Amy or Cupcake, what are sea bands?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They are wristbands that use accupressure to quell nausea. Here's a link: http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm
I have used them every time I've been pregnant. They don't take the queasiness totally away for me, but they definitely make it much better.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I will check out BFW after I get pregnant, maybe I won't be grounded from amazon by then. I am not totally in love with VwaV, didn't realize it would be so tofu heavy. We are not real big on tofu around here, but are trying to give it a 2nd(or 3rd or 4th) chance with the bbq tofu tomorrow night. Tonight we are going out to eat for DH's bday so I am sure he will not be eating anything vegan or even healthy, oh well, he's allowed. I am also sure I will probably be eating a plain baked potato and salad.

me neither, I like tofu but not in every dish. I like a couple of the cookies in there, the cupcakes and the brunch stuff. definitely not as thrilled as I expected though.
I'm gonna get seabands then, too, obviously only after the plus sign. I know somebody who had them and they look stylish, too not that it matters if you're hanging over the toilet...

I'll lurk on the vegan pregnancy thread.

hh2.gif

Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 AM

nice high temps, snow pea!!

hh2.gif

Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
me neither, I like tofu but not in every dish. I like a couple of the cookies in there, the cupcakes and the brunch stuff. definitely not as thrilled as I expected though.
I'm gonna get seabands then, too, obviously only after the plus sign. I know somebody who had them and they look stylish, too not that it matters if you're hanging over the toilet...

I'll lurk on the vegan pregnancy thread.
I did find a recipe in VwaV for "Fauxstess Cupcakes". Sounds like they take a whole day to make, but they sound totally worth it! Will let you know if I ever get motivated enough to try it. Oh, and thanks for stalking my chart, positive feedback is always apreciated. I have to say, I think my temps are looking pretty good too, even starting to get my hopes up just a little. :

Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Snow~Pea - your temps are looking awesome :

Veganmama - from your chart, this looks like prime BD time for you!

Since we're talking tofu, I don't like it at all! I don't like seitan, either! Funny thing is that DH, who is omni (but eats vegan at home), loves them both
Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Wow, Snow~Pea, when are you going to test? Those temps do look pretty amazing. :

oceane, glad to have you lurking on the Pregnant Vegan thread!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Wow Snowpea, those temps are wild!! Fingers crossed for you.

Looks like I o'd yesterday, CD 12. Not that hopeful as we didn't DTD until almost midnight. I know we also DTD on CD 10 but my "window" is shorter becasue of my age.

My favourite recipe out of VWaV is the Maple Mustard Glazed Potatoes with String Beans. Take them to your next omni potluck and people will die!

The Green Thai Curry is also pretty yummy even if you are not a huge tofu fan. I can handle tofu about once a week.

User Tag List