Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congratulations on becoming an auntie!
#62 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
I'm an aunt! Noah arrived after 42 hours of labour (my sister takes after me I guess!) and he was 8 lb 11 oz. Big for a first baby no?
I'm off to see him this afternoon.
Congrats to your sister, and you the new Aunt!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#63 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 03:55 PM

Hi there, we are TTC #4 and I am vegan, DH eats mostly fish and occcasional poultry. He was eating pork and beef when we met, so that is a definate come up. We plan to have a doula or midwife, and do a home birth, purely natural. Regular OB's have been negative to me in the past too, when I spoke of being vegan, they try to coax you by making you think you are doing your baby an injustice by not eating flesh. Many OB's are just out of touch. Try to get a midwife if you can or a doula. Someone experienced in healthy lifestyle, many regular MD's also have knowledge in and practice wholistic medicine, so look into that too. Do what feels right for you. A midwife told me that baby will take everything from you, even if it leaves you breathless, he or she will be just fine!

You know what to eat, and many of the ladies here have offered great suggestions, I have not read every last post, but I get the general idea, so I won't over elaborate just to tell you to be good to yourself without compromise.

Blessings
#64 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticlotus View Post
Many OB's are just out of touch. Try to get a midwife if you can or a doula.
Unfortunately, many midwives are just as out of touch. When I interviewed a midwife team for my third (I thought for sure I was going to use them), they said they didn't have a problem with my diet as long as I was eating eggs every day!: Then, she used "Eat Right 4 Your Type" as her reference. I said, "Thanks," and went elsewhere! One of the midwives was a vegetarian, too. Luckily, the next midwife I found was wonderful and never gave me an issue with my diet. She used to comment to the apprentice working with her that I was so healthy because of my diet! Cool, huh? I'm not vegan, but I've been a vegetarian for years, and I eat very little eggs and dairy and avoid it usually.
#65 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Hubby and I are lurking this thread. We'll be ttc #2 in 8ish months.
#66 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats on Baby Noah!
#67 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Unfortunately, many midwives are just as out of touch. When I interviewed a midwife team for my third (I thought for sure I was going to use them), they said they didn't have a problem with my diet as long as I was eating eggs every day!: Then, she used "Eat Right 4 Your Type" as her reference. I said, "Thanks," and went elsewhere! One of the midwives was a vegetarian, too. Luckily, the next midwife I found was wonderful and never gave me an issue with my diet. She used to comment to the apprentice working with her that I was so healthy because of my diet! Cool, huh? I'm not vegan, but I've been a vegetarian for years, and I eat very little eggs and dairy and avoid it usually.
Agreed! My midwife is very supportive of my diet even though she and her family aren't veg. I know other midwives who think poorly of vegan diets and push NT/WAPF diets, so you definitely need to ask about whether they will be supportive of you when interviewing midwives. It's great to have a wonderful midwife for labor/birth/postpartum, but if you'll be seeing them for 8 months beforehand it's good not to butt heads over something as important as diet, etc.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#68 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 06:46 PM

That's good to know! I myself was thinking of getting a midwife this time around, because of the whole natural childbirth experience. This would be my first time, guess I need to do more checking up on them, on to the midwife who told you to eat eggs...What?!
#69 of 1054 Old 10-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
Hubby and I are lurking this thread. We'll be ttc #2 in 8ish months.
Hopefully I'll be seeing you in the Due Date Clubs! We're going to try for #4 in June/July '08 too.

#70 of 1054 Old 10-20-2007, 05:48 AM

welcome mysticlotus and hanno!

and congratulations!!!!!!! to veganmama

hh2.gif

#71 of 1054 Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I had one new OB in the practice I use read me the riot act on how veganism was extremely unhealthy
When I discussed it with my primary OB in the same practice, he said he and the other OBs had no problem with it, would never ask me to change my diet, and apologized for the one OB who had an issue and said he would discuss it with her. I have to have an OB b/c I have to have a repeat cerclage, and I have always liked mine in the past - I know I'm fortunate to have found him, though.
#72 of 1054 Old 10-20-2007, 05:51 PM

Welcome mysticlotus and hanno!

My nephew is soooooo sweet.

On to CY 5, AF showed today as expected.

I think the midwife I had for my past 2 babies will be supportive of my veganism.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#73 of 1054 Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Hopefully I'll be seeing you in the Due Date Clubs! We're going to try for #4 in June/July '08 too.
I'm so incredibly jealous!!! I mean, I'm so incredibly happy for you!
#74 of 1054 Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm so incredibly jealous!!! I mean, I'm so incredibly happy for you!
Hey, what're you doing here in the TTC threads?! Hoping an oops baby with rub off?! I so wish we could be in another DDC together!!! :

#75 of 1054 Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM

hi all,
just found this thread :-) I've been vegan for > 10 years and have a wonderfully healthy 1 year old son. it is definitely important to find providers who don't pressure you to change your diet, this includes midwives/obs and pediatricians. we still get questions from friends asking if we're going to raise our son vegan and I imagine we will for many many years. oh yes, and we'll be ttc in just a few weeks (november ovu)!
:
#76 of 1054 Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Welcome to MDC from another longtime vegan mama!!

#77 of 1054 Old 10-21-2007, 02:05 PM

thanks, mama!
#78 of 1054 Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Hey, what're you doing here in the TTC threads?! Hoping an oops baby with rub off?! I so wish we could be in another DDC together!!! :
That would be so cool. Nope - mustn't go there......

I stalk these threads obsessively - living vicariously through everyone here - rejoicing when they conceive, feeling sad and disappointed when it doesn't happen. It's pitiful really! I've been stalking this board for months. Once in a while I'll post something.
#79 of 1054 Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

I stalk these threads obsessively - living vicariously through everyone here - rejoicing when they conceive, feeling sad and disappointed when it doesn't happen. It's pitiful really! I've been stalking this board for months. Once in a while I'll post something.
Keep it up...I don't mind having someone watching over me . If you have any tricks on how you got 2 girls I'd love to hear it!!

#80 of 1054 Old 10-21-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
If you have any tricks on how you got 2 girls I'd love to hear it!!
Well, both girls came from nookie that was pre-o, but so was ds1, so

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
#81 of 1054 Old 10-27-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Bump - Still TTC :
#82 of 1054 Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM

I think I saw in another thread that mysticlotus got a + test! Hooray for her!

#83 of 1054 Old 10-27-2007, 03:10 PM

do you know any vegan ttc/pregnancy books/stories? obviously I know about you but I'd just like something to read to pass the time... kinda like real-life experiences. I wonder if there's a market for that even :

hh2.gif

#84 of 1054 Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 PM

I have been stalking this thread since is signed up, just want to say thanks for all of the helpful info and links. I am an almost-vegan TTC#1. This is all very new and the more info the better, right? Did anyone else think that this was all going to be a lot simpler before they started TTC? :

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#85 of 1054 Old 10-27-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think I saw in another thread that mysticlotus got a + test! Hooray for her!
Yes, I saw that too - YAY for her!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
do you know any vegan ttc/pregnancy books/stories? obviously I know about you but I'd just like something to read to pass the time... kinda like real-life experiences. I wonder if there's a market for that even :
This one's older (and I think you have to order it used, it may be out of print), but I've heard good things:

http://www.vegfamily.com/book-review...lvegandiet.htm
#86 of 1054 Old 10-27-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Veg-123 View Post
I have been stalking this thread since is signed up, just want to say thanks for all of the helpful info and links. I am an almost-vegan TTC#1. This is all very new and the more info the better, right? Did anyone else think that this was all going to be a lot simpler before they started TTC? :
Welcome to MDC!!!

For us it's as simple as just thinking about the word pregnant, then bam, oops! Just reading these TTC threads feels like I'm rolling the dice!
Except for the morning sickness, the whole journey to parenthood has seemed like a piece of cake to me. But I know that's the exception to the rule.
I never worried about my diet though, never doubted that I'd grow healthy babies, I knew I could give birth easily if my mother and sisters had all done it and millions of women before me.
Now the trick for me is figuring out how to add a girl to our family!

- Krista

#87 of 1054 Old 10-28-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Veg-123 View Post
I did, at least about the ttc part.

amylaz, I have read that book. it's free witn the German Vegan Society, though it's in German there. (I'm German), so maybe not helpful for others.... thanks.

hh2.gif

#88 of 1054 Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Maybe we could all write a short story about our vegan pregnancies and compile it into a book!

#89 of 1054 Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 AM

excellent thought! : there really isn't much out there.

hh2.gif

#90 of 1054 Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe we could all write a short story about our vegan pregnancies and compile it into a book!
Great Idea!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page