Any Vegans TTC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1054 Old 10-01-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have just decided to have a third, and I have been a vegan for almost a year and half (never felt or looked better, btw ). I was not vegan for my last two pregs. I just had a not-so-pleasant (to put it mildly) encounter with a new OB in my regular practice when I went in for my annual exam and told her that we were TTC and I am vegan. I would love to talk to other vegans who are TTC (or have in the past) to see what your experience with health care providers has been, what type of supplements you have taken/ plan to take, what kind of additional tests your provider may want you to take, and just get some support. Based on the experience I had today, I can already see that it will take a good deal of confidence and courage to be a pregnant vegan!
#2 of 1054 Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 PM

I have been vegan for 10 years and am getting ready to go for my third baby as well! My first two pregnancies and births were completely healthy, I never had a problem with my midwife. I didn't have to take any additional tests. The only thing is that my midwife made sure I got enough protein, she couldn't emphasize that enough, but she does that for all her clients even the meat-eating ones. And the other thing is vitamin B12, it is disputed whether or not it is available in plant foods or not, so if you are not opposed to taking supplements, all you have to do is make sure your prenatals have vitamin B12.

Just because you are vegan though, doesn't mean you are healthy, I know a few vegans who eat a lot of processed junk and not very much of the good stuff!! So as long as you are eating a good diet and taking care of yourself you don't need worry about being vegan and pregnant. It works!

Feel free to pm with any other specific questions you may have! Or if you just want to chat some more!
#3 of 1054 Old 10-01-2007, 07:12 PM

I have been vegan for 15 years, mostly vegetarian for 6 years before that. All 3 of my pregnancies have been vegan and complication free aside from morning sickness. Besides the 1 week food diary that my midwife asks of all her clients, she didn't care that I was vegan; when I told her at our initial interview she said that her veg clients usually had the healthiest pregnancies and easiest labors. Maybe anecdotal, but it certainly proved to be true for me.

I usually take a vegan multivitamin or prenatal, plus an extra calcium/mag/D supplement and a vegan DHA. But during my third pregnancy I couldn't stomach anything unless it was hidden in a smoothie for the whole pregnancy. One trick I used with my first two was to take two vegan children's chewables instead because I could actually keep it down.

Relax and enjoy the roller coaster of conception, pregnancy, & birth. Your vegan diet should be fine as long as it's a healthy one, as with any diet.

We're hoping to wait until June/July '08 to conceive #4 (they've all been oopses so far, but well wanted ones!). All we have to do is think about becoming pregnant and BAM!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 1054 Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesmama View Post
Just because you are vegan though, doesn't mean you are healthy, I know a few vegans who eat a lot of processed junk and not very much of the good stuff!! So as long as you are eating a good diet and taking care of yourself you don't need worry about being vegan and pregnant. It works!
So true! I am the whole foods type of vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Besides the 1 week food diary that my midwife asks of all her clients, she didn't care that I was vegan; when I told her at our initial interview she said that her veg clients usually had the healthiest pregnancies and easiest labors. Maybe anecdotal, but it certainly proved to be true for me.
Right! IMO, a vegan pregnancy is the healthiest kind you can have, which is one of the reasons I'm sticking to my guns on this one.
I currently take Deva Multivitamin (with iron) and Citracal calcium/mag/D daily. I ordered the Deva Prenatal and DHA supplements today, which I will start taking along with the Citracal.
#5 of 1054 Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Hi, I am TTC #3 as well, this is my 4th cycle. Both my other conceptions were when I was an omnivore.

My GP knows I am vegan and other than checking my B12 she hasn't said anything about it. I keep a food journal though so if anyone hassles me when I am PG I can show them how much protein, etc etc I am getting!

One thing that I have noticed is that my temps are lower than they were when I was charting with my other two. Do you chart your BBT?

I am speculating that this is from vegetarians/vegans having lower estrogen levels than the general population due to the fact that we excrete 2-3 times as much estrogen (becasue we eat so much more fiber).

I don't know whether this will be a problem or not. I did not have particularly high estrogen levels before. Low levels can cause you not to hav emuch EWCM so I am working on that (lots of water, EPO, Robitussin).
If we don't get PG this cycle I will probably add some false unicorn root (an estrogenic) and see what that does.

Good luck, keep us posted!!!!
Over at veganfreaks.net there are a few pregnant vegans on the message boards.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#6 of 1054 Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to find someone in the same situation as me (two omni pregs, ttc #3 vegan), veganmama719! I have never charted my BBT. I was able to get preg the last two times based on ovulation dates (I have very regular 28-29 day cycles and ovulate right in the middle). I actually didn't realize that about the low estrogen levels - something to think about, and thanks for the info! I am stopping my pills tonight. Then, after I get a period, we'll get started. I will check out veganfreaks. Good luck to you, and maybe we'll end up in the same DD Club!
#7 of 1054 Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
One thing that I have noticed is that my temps are lower than they were when I was charting with my other two. Do you chart your BBT?

I am speculating that this is from vegetarians/vegans having lower estrogen levels than the general population due to the fact that we excrete 2-3 times as much estrogen (becasue we eat so much more fiber).
Fascinating theory. My temps have always been low as well.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#8 of 1054 Old 10-02-2007, 11:17 AM

here! TTC no. 1. I take a b complex with folic acid (I am VERY much into b12) and will switch to a prenatal after that. I also take some additional folic acid to get to 800mg. Calcium, too. I drink smoothies in the morning with flaxseed oil and put ground falc seeds in my muesli. That's it for supplements, oh, I also do herbal infusions (red clover and red raspberry leaves).
I will get my thyroid checked next week and also a blood panel done, especially for b 12 (been vegan for 5 years now).For protein I do soy products, nuts, beans...I really hope I find a good midwife but I am pretty confident, the birth center I have already picked out online (yeah, early : ) has a reputation online for being vegan friendly. I hope it's true! But I am just very confident in my diet and don't think I should be made to change anything.

sorry your OB is giving you a hard time. Can you get additional opinions? keep on reading books and online, ie vegfamily , being well informed is important. Most doctors don't have the education we do!

Quote:
Hi, I am TTC #3 as well, this is my 4th cycle. Both my other conceptions were when I was an omnivore.

My GP knows I am vegan and other than checking my B12 she hasn't said anything about it. I keep a food journal though so if anyone hassles me when I am PG I can show them how much protein, etc etc I am getting!

I don't know whether this will be a problem or not. I did not have particularly high estrogen levels before. Low levels can cause you not to hav emuch EWCM so I am working on that (lots of water, EPO, Robitussin).
If we don't get PG this cycle I will probably add some false unicorn root (an estrogenic) and see what that does.

Good luck, keep us posted!!!!
Over at veganfreaks.net there are a few pregnant vegans on the message boards.
I have low temps, I thought it could be thyroid.. will find that out soon. That would be a relieve though, if your theory was true...
love the idea of a food journal, that would also help to control oneself

hh2.gif

#9 of 1054 Old 10-02-2007, 02:54 PM

I have my thyroid checked regularly. Right now it is perfect so my low temps aren't due to that. it is right around what it was when I was temping while TTC #1 and #2.

BTW optimal TSH for conception is between .8 and 2.2 Many GPs will say anything between .7 and 5 is "normal" but word to the wise, it very hard to conceive with a TSH of over 2.5. Mine is 1.7 right now. So don't accept "you are in the normal range", ask what your TSH number actually is!

I'm so glad to meet other vegans TTC! We should totally keep this thread going, support each other and see how our TTC experiences may differ from non-vegans.

Amy, you may get PG right away coming off the Pill, many women are more fertile then. My DD is also 5, her name is Alannah but she often gets called Hannah by new teachers etc etc.

#10 of 1054 Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Amy, you may get PG right away coming off the Pill, many women are more fertile then.
That's what I'm hoping for

I will definitely keep this thread going. After my horrible experience with a new doc at my OB practice yesterday, I wrote a letter to my favorite doctor there. I told him how I was treated, and how I hoped the other doctors there had a different opinion of veganism than she did. I asked him point blank if I would be able to get maternity care there as a vegan b/c I don't want to have to switch practitioners mid-pregnancy. I hand delivered the letter to the office today - we'll see what response I get.
#11 of 1054 Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I have my thyroid checked regularly. Right now it is perfect so my low temps aren't due to that. it is right around what it was when I was temping while TTC #1 and #2.

BTW optimal TSH for conception is between .8 and 2.2 Many GPs will say anything between .7 and 5 is "normal" but word to the wise, it very hard to conceive with a TSH of over 2.5. Mine is 1.7 right now. So don't accept "you are in the normal range", ask what your TSH number actually is!

I'm so glad to meet other vegans TTC! We should totally keep this thread going, support each other and see how our TTC experiences may differ from non-vegans.

Amy, you may get PG right away coming off the Pill, many women are more fertile then. My DD is also 5, her name is Alannah but she often gets called Hannah by new teachers etc etc.

I'll note down the numbers and take them with me, thanks. I have read about rhe normal vs optimal problem before. Hopefully the doc is aware of that or at least refers me to the OB/Gyn area directly (it's a combination practice with all kinds of doctors). One of the gyn is into natural remedies (or so it says on her site), so I am hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLaz View Post
That's what I'm hoping for

I will definitely keep this thread going. After my horrible experience with a new doc at my OB practice yesterday, I wrote a letter to my favorite doctor there. I told him how I was treated, and how I hoped the other doctors there had a different opinion of veganism than she did. I asked him point blank if I would be able to get maternity care there as a vegan b/c I don't want to have to switch practitioners mid-pregnancy. I hand delivered the letter to the office today - we'll see what response I get.
That's a brave but very helpful thing to do! You might as well know directly, right? I hope they get back to you, and in a positive way! Even if they were worried about your diet it's not acceptable to snap at you like that! You're all adults!

on a different note: do you any of you reduce your soy intake? I don't think I buy into the craze but especially those TTC again, did you worry about that? I eat processed soy products as well as soymilk and yoghurt.

hh2.gif

#12 of 1054 Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 PM

I definitely decreased my soy intake with my second and third pregnancies. It just wasn't on my radar during my first. Except during the last month of my third pregnancy I just HAD to have a daily smoked Tofurky and margarine sandwich : ...it had to be the smoked variety.

I try not to eat a lot of processed soy. But I do use tofu and soy yogurt once or twice a week, along with edamame, miso, and tempeh. I do not use soymilk except for baking treats for special occasions.

#13 of 1054 Old 10-04-2007, 02:54 PM

I use tofu about 1-2 times per week but I do drink soymilk on my cereal in the morning.
I don't think that is too much though but I am mindful of it for sure.

#14 of 1054 Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM

I'm a vegan TTC too!

At my preconception appointment, I told the midwife that I was vegan and was staying that way. She just said she wants all her patients to get somewhere around 80 g of protein a day. Since I track my food intake semi-regularly, I was able to tell her that I get between 60 and 80 g without trying very hard. I was expecting more of a fight than that, so I was fortunate!

But I'm actually looking (well, not looking too hard yet) for a homebirth midwife in my area.

Great to see this thread!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#15 of 1054 Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

VeganCupcake - Good for you for making your position known up front! Still waiting to hear back from my OB. I track my protein intake pretty well, but I'm going to start keeping a food journal - at least what I eat in average week - so I can show whoever my practitioner turns out to be how I'm getting all of the recommended nutrients. Here are the guidelines I plan to follow: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm
#16 of 1054 Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
VeganCupcake - Good for you for making your position known up front! Still waiting to hear back from my OB. I track my protein intake pretty well, but I'm going to start keeping a food journal - at least what I eat in average week - so I can show whoever my practitioner turns out to be how I'm getting all of the recommended nutrients. Here are the guidelines I plan to follow: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm
I have that same site bookmarked! It's good information.

#17 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 02:55 AM

Hey! Pregnant vegan mama here! I have been dairy free for two years (vegetarian for my last pregnancy and mostly veg for my first) and I want to say that a vegan diet has been very healthy for me (and my 2 dds). We concieved about 5 1/2 months ago (surprise!) and have had no significant issues (a lot of ms this time though). Anyway, as long as your diet is fresh (not fried..) and full of veggies I'm sure you'll be fine. I have had issues with OBs, however, once they discover that I'm vegan but most of the midwives that I've talked with are fine with it. Though my grandma is VERY against it, not that she really has a say (she prefers bacon on everything).. So, good luck with everything! Hope you get a baby soon!

-Sara

Mama to Katie (6 1/2 yrs), Sophia (almost 3) and Soren (expected sometime in Feb 2008)

:

p.s. lots of beans and rice along with kale does well... And I do take vegan prenatals (with b12)..

mischievous.gif
#18 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 06:05 AM

I have also heard that the midwives at our local birth centre are ok with vegan diets. You can be sure that MIL and my mother will disagree.

hh2.gif

#19 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
Hey! Pregnant vegan mama here! I have been dairy free for two years (vegetarian for my last pregnancy and mostly veg for my first) and I want to say that a vegan diet has been very healthy for me (and my 2 dds). We concieved about 5 1/2 months ago (surprise!) and have had no significant issues (a lot of ms this time though). Anyway, as long as your diet is fresh (not fried..) and full of veggies I'm sure you'll be fine. I have had issues with OBs, however, once they discover that I'm vegan but most of the midwives that I've talked with are fine with it. Though my grandma is VERY against it, not that she really has a say (she prefers bacon on everything).. So, good luck with everything! Hope you get a baby soon!

-Sara

Mama to Katie (6 1/2 yrs), Sophia (almost 3) and Soren (expected sometime in Feb 2008)

:

p.s. lots of beans and rice along with kale does well... And I do take vegan prenatals (with b12)..
Thanks, Sara, and congrats to you on baby Soren on-the-way! I've been taking my Deva Prenatal and Deva DHA, along with Citracal, while TTC. I've also added daily flaxseed oil. I just started making a smoothie with 1 cup light chocolate soymilk, 6-7 frozen strawberries, and 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil. Delicious and super healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
I have also heard that the midwives at our local birth centre are ok with vegan diets. You can be sure that MIL and my mother will disagree.
My MIL and mother will be sure to disagree as well, but I think they'll keep it to themselves (as much as that's possible )
#20 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Sara, and congrats to you on baby Soren on-the-way! I've been taking my Deva Prenatal and Deva DHA, along with Citracal, while TTC. I've also added daily flaxseed oil. I just started making a smoothie with 1 cup light chocolate soymilk, 6-7 frozen strawberries, and 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil. Delicious and super healthy!
so just relying on flaxseed oil would be a little risky? Up till now I have only done 1 smoothie daily with a tsp oil and a tsp grounded flax seeds in my breakfast muesli...

hh2.gif

#21 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
so just relying on flaxseed oil would be a little risky? Up till now I have only done 1 smoothie daily with a tsp oil and a tsp grounded flax seeds in my breakfast muesli...
Here's a great article from the Vegetarian Resource Group on Omega 3's, the best vegetarian sources for them, and how your body converts ALA (in flax) to DHA: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2001sep/2001sepomega3.htm

The best vegetarian direct source of DHA is algae (that's why fish are so high in it - they're eating so much algae).
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/d...cid-000300.htm

IMO, the best way to ensure that you're getting the right amount of DHA for you and baby is to eat flax (oil or seed), which is converted into DHA, plus take an algae-based DHA supplement,a direct source.
#22 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Here's a great article from the Vegetarian Resource Group on Omega 3's, the best vegetarian sources for them, and how your body converts ALA (in flax) to DHA: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2001sep/2001sepomega3.htm

The best vegetarian direct source of DHA is algae (that's why fish are so high in it - they're eating so much algae).
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/d...cid-000300.htm

IMO, the best way to ensure that you're getting the right amount of DHA for you and baby is to eat flax (oil or seed), which is converted into DHA, plus take an algae-based DHA supplement,a direct source.
thanks. I'll check into the supplements and just continue the flaxseed routine until then.

hh2.gif

#23 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 02:31 PM

I like the DEVA DHA too. I tried some vegan DHA supplements from Health from the Sun, and they gave me fishy burps, which was not pleasant, and would be much worse for someone feeling queasy from ms. DEVA doesn't do that! They smell fishy, but no nasty fishy burps.

#24 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I like the DEVA DHA too. I tried some vegan DHA supplements from Health from the Sun, and they gave me fishy burps, which was not pleasant, and would be much worse for someone feeling queasy from ms. DEVA doesn't do that! They smell fishy, but no nasty fishy burps.
I'm not sure I can get them here in Germany. I will checkout my drugstore. I know the pharmacy has some supplement that is vegan and has dha and folic acid. I already take folic acid so I might have to rearrange my supplements to not overdue it.

hh2.gif

#25 of 1054 Old 10-07-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I can get them here in Germany.
I got mine from veganessentials.com. I wonder if they ship to Germany, or if the shipping cost would be awful? Otherwise, the DHA plus folic acid sounds pretty good!

#26 of 1054 Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I got mine from veganessentials.com. I wonder if they ship to Germany, or if the shipping cost would be awful? Otherwise, the DHA plus folic acid sounds pretty good!
It would be worth it if I bought other things as well but I really shouldn't.

hh2.gif

#27 of 1054 Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I get my Deva vegan supplements from this site:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

It cracks me up that I'm ordering them from a bodybuilding site , but they have the best prices I've been able to find online! They do ship internationally, and if you chose the 7-14 day international postal service option, shipping starts at $9.99, based on the weight of the package.
#28 of 1054 Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I get my Deva vegan supplements from this site:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

It cracks me up that I'm ordering them from a bodybuilding site , but they have the best prices I've been able to find online! They do ship internationally, and if you chose the 7-14 day international postal service option, shipping starts at $9.99, based on the weight of the package.
thanks!

hh2.gif

#29 of 1054 Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I like the DEVA DHA too. I tried some vegan DHA supplements from Health from the Sun, and they gave me fishy burps, which was not pleasant
I like that brand best actually, but I hide it in smoothies.

And I use the Deva vegan DHA too. I buy it online at www.vegetarianvitamin.com

#30 of 1054 Old 10-10-2007, 03:16 PM

There is an interesting discussion on one of the other threads "trying for a boy" that veganf and I have been posting about.

Thanks everyone for the vitamin links. I am so getting myself some vegan DHA.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page