What do the sperm swim through once they hit the uterus??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...so the sperm swim through cervical fluid to get past the cervix and into the uterus. What do they swim in once they get there?

My friend is doing IUIs and said that sperm get washed before an IUI because they don't need CM or seminal fluid once they are in the uterus.

So how do they get up the fallopean tubes? Do they climb up the walls? I assume the uterus is not full of mucous or water or what?

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#2 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 04:41 PM

**ponders**

My best guess -- and this is a great question, by the way; oddly, in all of my ponderings on the wonders of conception over the last twenty years, I've never thought about this!

I don't believe the uterus has an air pocket, so to speak. I believe that the walls touch or nearly so, unless a woman is pregnant, and then it expands to accommodate the baby. It is mucous-y, yes.

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
#3 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 04:56 PM

I asked my med-student hubby about that. I'm pretty sure he said they just swim through the uterine lining (AF blood) and the uterus also somehow helps move it along. Like maybe it makes tiny ripples that move the spermies? Don't quote me on any of this though.
#4 of 12 Old 10-08-2007, 12:37 PM

I can answer this!! We went to the Boston Science Museum last weekend and they had a great gallery about birth - including a video of a live birth in water at home by a midwife in Mexico!!

Anyways - the sperm enter the uterus. There are strands of EWCM that kind of make a road into the fallopian tubes for the sperm to swim on. The strands go into the tubes, where cilia (tiny haris) in the tubes are pushing downwards towards the uterus (getting the egg out). The EWCM helps the sperm get thru the cilia, although some do get "swept back out to sea". Along the way, the sperm meet and hopefully fertilize the egg. They had a great video showing all this stuff as part of the display. Did you all know that only about 50 sperm make it all the way up the tubes and to the egg - out of 2 million or so? Scary odds, huh?

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#5 of 12 Old 10-08-2007, 03:57 PM

I have wondered about this since TTC. Thanks Triana for the answer!! That would have been such a great gallery to see! I have ewcm problems so this is worrying me but hopefully there's enough up in there to do the job.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#6 of 12 Old 10-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Very interesting! Thanks for spreading your knowledge!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#7 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Very cool!!

But does that mean if you produce very little EWCM, the spermies have nothing to swim in once they get past the cervix??? Poor spermies....

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#8 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthymama2b View Post
But does that mean if you produce very little EWCM, the spermies have nothing to swim in once they get past the cervix??? Poor spermies....
I was thinking the same thing . . .
#9 of 12 Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 AM

This is very interesting. I also read in TCOYF that sperm can live inside the woman (if fertile fluid is present) for 2-5 days. Does that mean that the sperm just kind of hang around in the fallopian tubes? What do they do for that 48 hours or so while they're waiting around for the egg?
#10 of 12 Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Please note that sperms are microscopic and they can literally swin on anything barely wet. Think about this.... they can be seen swimming on a slite with coverslit of a microscope. Than explains how timy they are and how comfortable they would swim on uterus.

Remember they are also attracted by chemotactic forces and this explains why they never swim outwords but always inwards, despite the outword contractions during and orgasm.

they are like salmon swimming up the river
#11 of 12 Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Also remember that htere is more ewcm present inside your body than you see on the tissue when you wipe. SO if you have any at all you should be good.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#12 of 12 Old 10-15-2007, 12:20 PM

Good stuff girls I wondered this NEVER during TTC so very good question!!! I am excited since I have very little EWCM so all this information makes me still excited even after 16 months of trying thus far

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page