Wanting a boy....but is this overkill? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so we're trying for another child, I would like another boy, dh dosn't have a preference. I know some basics for trying to increase the chances of having a boy....but this advice I got makes me wonder:

Eat a diet consisting of high saturated fat, sodium and potassium and low in carbohydrates, calcium and magnesium.
Eat Alkaline foods and stay away from acidic foods: http://www.essense-of-life.com/info/foodchart.htm
Conceive in September, October or November
Boys are more often conceived by heavier, well-fed women.
Conceive as close to O-day as possible. (have sex the day before and the day after ovulation)
Abstain until ovulation (Do not have sex starting 5 days before ovulation)
Female should orgasm before the male.
Have your husband on L-arginine or Co-enzyme Q10, also Caffeine & cold shower 30 mins prior to sex

Boy supplements (schedule listed below):

Take Evening Primrose Oil 2 capsules from Cycle Day 1 to Ovulation. (EPO)
Flax Seed Oil: 2,000 mg per day from Ovulation to AF. (FSO)
Licorice Root 7 days before O. (LIC)
Alfalfa (ALF)
Red Raspberry 1,000 mg daily: Start anytime in cycle. (RASP)
*GUAIFENESIN SYRUP a/k/a Robitussin 2 tsp 3 x's daily (RTSN)
Chlorvescent or Slow K tablets - One tablet morning and Evening (not on schedule)
Potassium - 200mg per day (K)
Sodium, (NA)
Green Tea 2-3 tablets per day (GREEN)
Zinc (ZN)
Vitamin A (not to be used after Oday in case you are pregnant) (VtA)
Vitamin E (VtE)
Alkaseltzer Gold 1-2 cups daily (ALKAGOLD)

Boy supplements schedule:

This supplement schedule assumes you O on day 14. If you don't, you need to take your ovulation date, subtract 14, and add that many #1 days at the beginning of this schedule.
1 EPO, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, VtE
2 EPO, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, VtE
3 EPO, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, VtE
4 EPO, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, VtE
5 EPO, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, VtE
6 EPO, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, VtE
7 EPO, LIC, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, ALKAGOLD, VtE
8 EPO, LIC, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, ALKAGOLD, VtE
9 EPO, LIC, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, ALKAGOLD, VtE
10 EPO, LIC, ALF, RASP, RTSN, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, ALKAGOLD, VtE
11 EPO, LIC, ALF, RASP, RTSN, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, ALKAGOLD, VtE
12 EPO, LIC, ALF, RASP, RTSN, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, ALKAGOLD, VtE
13 EPO, LIC, ALF, RASP, RTSN, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, ALKAGOLD, VtE
14 EPO, FSO, LIC, ALF, RASP, RTSN, K, NA, ZN, VtA, GREEN, VtE - Ovulation date
15 FSO, ALF, RASP, RTSN, K, NA, ZN, GREEN, VtE
16 FSO, ALF, RASP, K, NA, ZN, VtE - keep doing this until your cycle ends or you get a positive result on a pregnancy test.

Um...good lord this is like overkill supplement-wise! Robitussin????

The alkaline diet makes sense to me, I was on one when we concieved ds. Some of these obviously it dosn't matter....but the supplements have me :.....is this overkill?

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#2 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Is that advice given by a company that also happens to sell the supplements?
#3 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Hum, Id like to see the results of people who have done this. Ive heard of the timing (Shettles method) and the alkaline diet method, but havent heard of all the supplementation. We would like to try to conceive a boy in January/Feb (to get a scorpio baby) but I think it might be a bit neurotic of me, trying to plan out the sex AND birth sign of our next babe.

I have been drinking alkaline water to get ready. Let me know what you decide to do. I may try the supplementation, since it seems like it is all stuff that I have, or that is easy to get. And it looks like supplements that are harmless, so it shouldnt hurt to try, and would be interesting to see if it works for us!
#4 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

fek&fuzz as far as I know, no, this is website dosn't have any connections to supplements, it is, in fact, a women's website of sorts, kind of like BabyCenter in nature.

I definitely want to switch to an alkaline diet and do the Shettles method, also take Vitex, maybe the licorice and EPO....but I was just wondering where on earth they got Robitussin and Alka-Seltzer into the mix????

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#5 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
fek&fuzz as far as I know, no, this is website dosn't have any connections to supplements, it is, in fact, a women's website of sorts, kind of like BabyCenter in nature.

I definitely want to switch to an alkaline diet and do the Shettles method, also take Vitex, maybe the licorice and EPO....but I was just wondering where on earth they got Robitussin and Alka-Seltzer into the mix????
I've heard of Robitussin being used to increase CM....not sure if it has anything to do with conceiving a specific sex. As for the supplements.....:

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#6 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 PM

I am going to use shettles to try for a boy hopefully starting in December...I've heard of the supplements but am personally not willing to do more than shettles. Good Luck to you! We've got a 50/50 shot, right?
#7 of 31 Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 AM

the alkaseltzer makes your body alkaline (and thus, your vagina) so it favors the boy sperm. the robitussin helps thin the cm, which also favors the boy sperm.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our daughter, but did try the shettles method for her to get a boy, and it did not work. we did it for fun, but I really wanted a girl.
#8 of 31 Old 10-09-2007, 08:42 AM

So whatever you're doing, I should do the polar opposite, right?!

Besides timing, for a girl we're going to try an acidic diet, proper underwear for him, hot baths for him, and double orgasm for me before him (can't be too sure!).

But you won't have birthed before it's time for us to try, so I'll cross my fingers for both of us!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#9 of 31 Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Female should orgasm before the male.
This is the exact opposite of what I've heard. We have a friend who works at a bio lab in Cambridge and her boss researchers this stuff. They said it is the opposite (which in our case would be true, because with us my husband always finished first and we have 3 boys). But then again we also had sex well before and after ovulation, so we would totally skew the statistics of the place you quoted.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#10 of 31 Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

The diet, for me, is going to be the hardest I think....finding protein that isn't acidic.

#11 of 31 Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
The diet, for me, is going to be the hardest I think....finding protein that isn't acidic.
Exactly, unless you just want to eat grass all day, it is tough!! I plan to cut down on dairy and carbs, stick to lots of veggies/salads. But, Im not sure about the protein. I have a water filter that makes my tap water Alkaline, and it is supposed to be the "caddilac" of alkaline diets. Who knows, I drank lots of it while I conceived my daughter! And timed for a boy.

Veganf, you said you did the deed long before ovulation? usually that would be the timing for a girl, according to shettles, right? Hum....I thought I knew everything about conceiving a certain sex before I conceived. Obviously, Im wrong!
#12 of 31 Old 10-09-2007, 09:53 PM

so how would a veggie get a girl?
#13 of 31 Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM

OMG yeah, overkill IMO!

It's true that having sex closer to ovulation helps conceive a boy, but it's never a sure thing, of course. It's not meant to be! Kwim?

Good luck though, mama. But yeah, I wouldn't bother with all that.
#14 of 31 Old 10-10-2007, 01:54 AM

Boys are more often conceived by heavier, well-fed women.:

I'm sorry, i shouldn't laugh......I'm going to go knit me some blue booties now

fwiw i would love to have another boy, too. I think i'll try some of these things. It couldn't hurt.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#15 of 31 Old 10-10-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieMom View Post
I'm laughing here too! As I have two boys and I'm underweight for my height. SO there ya go.

I think trying for a boy is easier than a girl. Just don't have sex until you get a positive OPK and then have sex the next two days. I did that and got two boys. Girl trying seems harder. I've started taking cranberry pills for acidity.
#16 of 31 Old 10-10-2007, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieMom View Post
I found that amusing too.....tell that to my scrawny pregnant pencil friend who is due next month with her boy! Although her first child is a girl, which thin women are supposed to conceive easier

#17 of 31 Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
so how would a veggie get a girl?
You got me!!! Of all the vegans I know (and I know dozens) there are only 3 girls. TONS of boys. But maybe it's just an amazing coincidence.

#18 of 31 Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
You got me!!! Of all the vegans I know (and I know dozens) there are only 3 girls. TONS of boys. But maybe it's just an amazing coincidence.
Really, because I have heard vegans usually have girls!!! Which would make sense based on the diet in the first post, LOL!

I have a DD and DS (both conceived when I was an omnivore). Now I am TTC #3 and was assuming I'm most likely to have a girl (fine with me!).

I have an aquantance who did MicroSort with DH's swimmers, then IVF (which favours girls anyway) with 3 "female" embryos. 1 stuck and she now has her girl. She figures it cost her $30,000 altogether, including travel to the US, hotel stays etc etc.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#19 of 31 Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
I have an aquantance who did MicroSort with DH's swimmers, then IVF (which favours girls anyway) with 3 "female" embryos. 1 stuck and she now has her girl. She figures it cost her $30,000 altogether, including travel to the US, hotel stays etc etc.
Yeah, we were trying to determine whether that or adoption would be cheaper to balance our family eventually :.

#20 of 31 Old 12-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Just bumping to see what the results were for anyone? Has anyone conceived and found out what they are having? Were going to give it a go in February. Trying to gear my body up now.
#21 of 31 Old 12-29-2007, 07:07 PM

An awesome, and VERY welcoming community online for gender selection (and disappointment) is www.in-gender.com
It doesn't push anything, and has everything from at-home methods all the way to very invasive. Worth a look anyways, it's very interesting and keeps track of what works and what doesn't.
god luck!!
#22 of 31 Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the resource, vsmom2two! That looks useful.

I feel a little uncomfortable about aiming for gender myself (both because of my philosophical views on gender as a social construct and because of the fear of greater disappointment if I try and it doesn't work out). Even so, we're gently trying for a girl for a few months and trying not to get *too* hung up about it.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#23 of 31 Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM

We were on an intense alkalanizing diet for health reasons---mostly vegetables, no sugar, dairy wheat, caffeine, alchohol etc... (for 6 weeks prior) and Bd'd the day I was ovulating and we made our beautiful girl! Sometimes I think really it's all about the soul picking its own gender and that there's really no way of controlling it...but it's hard not to try when there's a specific gender we're wanting!
#24 of 31 Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM

I have been doing the Shettle method for a boy because we have 2 girls already we douch before sex and we only BD during ovulation the day of pos opk and the day after..

We also have DH drink coffee..

I really love to have a boy after having two girls..

Everything added up to get pregnant with girls having sex 2-4 days before ovulation and it worked for me hopfully this will work for a boy
#25 of 31 Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
This is the exact opposite of what I've heard. We have a friend who works at a bio lab in Cambridge and her boss researchers this stuff. They said it is the opposite (which in our case would be true, because with us my husband always finished first and we have 3 boys). But then again we also had sex well before and after ovulation, so we would totally skew the statistics of the place you quoted.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I thought that the female orgasm caused an increase in acid in the uterus, thus making it more likely to conceive a girl if you orgasm first. I could be wrong.
#26 of 31 Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 AM

I think having a lot of sex the week you ovulate ups the chances for a boy. Y sperm move faster. At least that's what we did and we have a boy. Now, for a girl. We'll probably just have sex once a month days before ovulation! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a daughter too. Good luck, I hope it works out!

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#27 of 31 Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 PM

my sis really wanted a boy and did the alkaline part, supplement part -although i can't remember which supplements i think it was either calcium or magnesium...and time the sex for later in your fertile time not earlier. she got her boy. she said she was drinking about a gal of water a day with lemon to change her pH levels -and yes she was testing that too.
#28 of 31 Old 01-05-2008, 01:14 AM

Ummm, the link for in-gender doesn't seem to be working.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#29 of 31 Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 AM

Thye site works fine for me, but try this: http://www.in-gender.com/CS/Forums/ to take you right to the forums.

Good luck!!
#30 of 31 Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM

cool thanks, i couldn't get the first link to work either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page