Mothering Forum banner

I got 2 lines....

571 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Sunshine4004 
#1 ·
And I am completely confused and a bit light-headed and not sure what to think.
We've been trying for nearly a year, but I thought I knew when I was ovulating. I didn't want to get pregnant this month, because I'm leaving on a 2-months trip next week to Germany! I will also be spending a little over a week in China!!! So, I figured we would just resume ttc when I got back from all that travelling.
I purposely avoided being intimate on a day where I thought I was ovulating.
I've been cramping, and thinking for sure I'd get my period. I'm one day late today, which isn't even all that unusual. I decided to just take my last test from the Dollar Store, since I usually get my period as soon as I've taken a test, lol. I never in a million years thought I could get a positive result!!! The second line is faint, but it is there.
I'm panicking a little, because I just got my hair permed on saturday! And I drank beer last night! How bad is that???? I've not been taking any vitamins, and so I'm just afraid that I'm not giving my baby the best start. I'm freaking out. I had my husband on the phone 5 seconds after I read the results, and he thinks I'm joking. He thinks I should buy at least 2 more tests by 2 different manufacturers.
I have a busy day today with my kids and attending a birthday party in a different city for my middle child.
What do I do about coffee?? I drink a lot of coffee! I don't want to do that when I'm pregnant. How do I wean myself off of it the best? I don't want to get a withdrawal headache.
Maybe it sounds like I'm completely new at this, when this would be my 4th child. But it's been a while since I was pg last, and so I would LOVE some reassurance. I have no idea what my due date would be or anything like that. How bad will it be if I get my first prenatal appt. in 2 months, when I'm back????
Wow. I'm still shaking....
Ina

See less See more
#2 ·
First off -- Congratulations!!

Now, keep in mind that half of all conceptions (according to US research) are unintended -- you're in good company! Don't worry about the beer, the hair etc. That's in the past, you can't do anything about it, and what you describe doesn't sound all that bad at all (say you'd been binge drinking hard liquor on a daily basis, that'd be a bit different, eh?).

Start taking prenatal vitamins today: many women don't begin until they know they're pregnant. Cut your daily coffee by half every couple of days until it's down to where you're comfortable.

For your due date count back three months from the first days of your last period, and then add eight days. That'll give you your due-zone.

#3 ·
I agree, I permed my hair when I was 9 DPO with DD and also had some wine at 5 DPO.
A friend of mine was TTA getting pregnant and didn't know until she was 8 weeks. Her babe is fine.
Just start taking your prenantals now and cut back on the coffee.

As far as not having a prenatal visit, its not like they can DO anything in the first 2 months anyway. I wouldn't worry about anything at all.

Just have a great trip and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

#4 ·
Congratulations
I am also TTC for #4. I wouldn't worry at all. Many babies are conceived on a night after drinking anyway
. I agree with cutting the amount of coffee in half and decreasing it over the next few days. I have heard that 1-2 cups of coffee in pregnancy doesn't cause harm anyway it is when you drink caffeine excessively. But I am with in that I don't like to drink it when I am PG either. Most doctors offices don't even want to see you until you are 10 weeks pg so they can listen for a heartbeat. So I think you will be fine waiting to see a doctor until you get back. I would get a prenatal today though. Again congrats. Have a great trip.

#7 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm a bit steadier now, lol. I talked with a friend, and one more time with dh.
Yes, I'll start taking prenatal vitamins today and I'll reduce my coffee intake.
No, I did not drink heavily, but enough to get a buzz.

This will take some getting used to.
Oh, and according to a due date calculator on the web, I'm due July 16th. Wow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.