does this mean my thermometer is broken? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Instead of one or two presses of the button to get it to that blank-flashing-ready-to-take-your-temperature phase, it takes 10 presses or more. I keep pressing and pressing. THEN nothing happens! I mean, none of those reassuring 4-second beeps. I keep pressing randomly, and sometimes I see the temperature changing, and THEN eventually, it starts beeping while it takes my temp, and then gives me a temp after just a few seconds.

I figured as long as I eventually got that temperature-in-progress beep followed by the "results" beep, it was OK. But today I noticed a full 1/2 a degree difference between what it read "officially" and what it read while I was trying to get it ready....

argh.
#2 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM

I think I'd get a new one. Simply for my sanity! It isn't ideal to change BBT's mid cycle but if you're not getting accurate readings anyway, you might as well get another one!
#3 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I don't know, though - maybe I am getting an accurate reading, eventually. It's not a totally random reading, after all. How can I tell?

The reason I suddenly care is that I'm on CD 31 and planning to test tomorrow, BUT with today's official temperature my chart "no longer detects ovulation" this month.
Humph.
#4 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:04 PM

You don't have a a Walgreens thermometer, do you? :
I had that same problem with one of their thermometers, and then the battery completely died. I had bought it only 1 week prior to it dying.

I suggest getting one from CVS (or was it Rite Aid?). They are a couple dollars cheaper & they have soft, easy-to-use buttons. You just hold it down until it flashes past the 1st temp. It will also flash to the default 97.70 temp, but the first temp is the one you recorded.

-
#5 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 PM

I bought a Walgreens one as a back up but I've been using one from WalMart. The battery seems to be getting low and this is only my 4th cycle using it. The beep is starting to sound weird and sickly. I guess I need to get a different back up!
#6 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I have the BD Basal Digital Thermometer by BECTON DICKENSON, and it was not so cheap, and I've only been using it for two months or so. I bought it on line because the Rite Aid by my house did not carry them and neither did the medical supply store.

Filiadeluna, I don't understand what you mean by "flashing PAST the first temp."

Also, what are the signs of a dying battery - could that be what's going on with my muleheaded thermometer?
#7 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I bought a Walgreens one as a back up but I've been using one from WalMart. The battery seems to be getting low and this is only my 4th cycle using it. The beep is starting to sound weird and sickly. I guess I need to get a different back up!
Yeah, I don't trust the Walgreens ones (and I used to work there ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikey View Post
I have the BD Basal Digital Thermometer by BECTON DICKENSON, and it was not so cheap, and I've only been using it for two months or so. I bought it on line because the Rite Aid by my house did not carry them and neither did the medical supply store.

Filiadeluna, I don't understand what you mean by "flashing PAST the first temp."

Also, what are the signs of a dying battery - could that be what's going on with my muleheaded thermometer?
Well, on my thermometer I have to hold down the button *before* I turn it on. It flashes one temp VERY quickly (you almost miss it), and that's the saved temp, the one you took. Immediately afterwards it flashes 97.70 (the default thermometer temp). Lastly, it flashes to "LOW" or whatever, which means it's ready for you to take a new temp. I messed up some of my temps in the middle of the cycle b/c I thought they were 97.70 and didn't know you had to hold it down *before* turning it on.

My thermometer was only $6.99.

-
#8 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
Yeah, I don't trust the Walgreens ones (and I used to work there ).

Well, on my thermometer I have to hold down the button *before* I turn it on. It flashes one temp VERY quickly (you almost miss it), and that's the saved temp, the one you took. Immediately afterwards it flashes 97.70 (the default thermometer temp). Lastly, it flashes to "LOW" or whatever, which means it's ready for you to take a new temp. I messed up some of my temps in the middle of the cycle b/c I thought they were 97.70 and didn't know you had to hold it down *before* turning it on.

My thermometer was only $6.99.
That's exactly what mine does. I paid $8.99 at WalMart.
#9 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Phooey. I paid almost twice that.
So it sounds dead or dying to you then?
#10 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikey View Post
Phooey. I paid almost twice that.
So it sounds dead or dying to you then?
My Walgreens one did, yes. It was like a robot dying sound almost... a very weak beeping & fading away. LOL.

-
#11 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

sorry, i wasn't clear - I meant the behavior of mine. The beeps are robust enough, but this pattern of getting harder and harder to use is driving me nuts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page