How do you feel on progesterone supplements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-20-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been more than three years since I had to take progesterone to TTC, and refresh my memory: How do you feel when you're taking progesterone supplements 300 mg a day? I'm taking oral micronized progesterone, since I hate suppositories and am allergic to the peanut oil in the pre-made tablets.

Will I get sleepy, dizzy, nauseaous, stupid, or what? Or just feel a little off? Anyone have experience with this? I'm worried it will make me tired and I won't be able to work out tomorrow. I just started today. My own levels are very low so we need the extra to make babies stick! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 PM

Oral progesterone is like pure evil in a pill form! It mimics pregnancy symptoms...bloating, fullness in pelvis, breast tenderness and enlargement, frequent urination...the whole nine.

Other than those false positive symptoms, I felt fine!

Leah...wife to Colin, mommy to Liam 3/19/05 and Molly 8/18/09 :
#3 of 25 Old 11-21-2007, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Oooo, thanks for the warning. I'll try not to get excited about the false positive symptoms. I remember the progesterone making me feel relaxed, but maybe I felt relaxed because the last time I used it, I got pregnant right away and could relax about TTC!

Any more experiences?
#4 of 25 Old 11-21-2007, 06:44 AM

i took it orally for years trying to limit the symptoms of endo - it made me cuckoo - really weepy, ragey, and hysterical. i also would start slurring my speech about 1 hour after taking it, and i would pass out/fall asleep in a dizzy drunken stupor.

this is my first month taking suppositories and i haven't had any side effects - maybe a little full-feeling in the abdomen. i did get very itchy the first night but i think i hadn't pushed it far enough up in there.

i actually have a related question if any of you can answer; will taking progesterone suppositories cycle days 18-28 lengthen my luteal phase? will i find myself on day 30 or 31 of my cycle still without a period but actually not pregnant? trying to figure out whether i should test or not....
#5 of 25 Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

If I remember right, the OB told me to take the progesterone until either I got my period or a BFP, and if the latter, to of course keep taking the supplements. I think your period will show up normally, you don't need to do anything special except stop taking it at that point. Of course, maybe it is different for each person.

Today is my first full day on the full dose. I was able to work out fine this morning and everything! I do feel a little dopey and stupid, and am having trouble being 100% coherent! I'm in an excellent mood though. Better than usually I am when I wake up super early to work out.

So far, I have not felt bad at all, except last night when I had awful dreams and felt a little dizzy. You definitely need to ease into this drug. Is it really made from pregnant mare urine? YUCK!!!!
#6 of 25 Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

If I remember right, the OB told me to take the progesterone until either I got my period or a BFP, and if the latter, to of course keep taking the supplements. I think your period will show up normally, you don't need to do anything special except stop taking it at that point. Of course, maybe it is different for each person.

Today is my first full day on the full dose. I was able to work out fine this morning and everything! I do feel a little dopey and stupid, and am having trouble being 100% coherent! I'm in an excellent mood though. Better than usually I am when I wake up super early to work out.

So far, I have not felt bad at all, except last night when I had awful dreams and felt a little dizzy. You definitely need to ease into this drug. Is it really made from pregnant mare urine? YUCK!!!!
#7 of 25 Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post

GL Freestyler. Just curious to know what your progest. # was. Mine's been 6.4, 4.2 and 6.7. I've been using natural progest. cream but my OB doesn't want to give me progest. supplements. She wants to do clomid but I need to get an HSG first, so we're talking 2 more months ya know? Anyways, just wondering how it was determined for you to take progest. supps and what your # was. I think my Ob's not sure I'm Oing strongly because my FP is rather short and my temp shift is there but not always super dramatic.
Best of luck to you!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#8 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 04:47 AM

yes, GL freestyler!
it sounds like it's working out fine for you... my gyn said to always take at night before you go to bed (helps with the dizziness/drowsiness).
#9 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I was told to take the 300 mg in two doses every day, 12 hours apart, for a more even and continuous distribution in the bloodstream (more like our bodies pump it out.) So I take 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening. My levels at about 7 DPO always hovered around 5 or 6, not good for getting the little babies to stick! My ovaries were really trashed by endo in my 20s; I think that was the culprit. On progesterone, my levels are around 20-30. Just perfect. Oooooh, I hope hope hope it works. And if not, just keep on trying next month---like all of us, right?

For what it's worth, DH and I tried for ages and ages to get pregnant, and I had just about given up hope. When it was discovered that my progesterone levels were still super low, I went on supplements, and bam, we conceived on the first try. I was so shocked. We have four kids, and they were all conceived on the first try, with progesterone. One try! But this time, I decided, oh, I'll be clever and TTC without progesterone, just to see if I can! Well, four months have gone by without a BFP, so now I'll get out of my stupidity and get the supplements! (I'm like DUH, why did I think that would work?) I feel a little sad that we probably fertilized an eggie every month, and that little person could not stick. I hope his or her soul just keeps coming back and trying until my baby nest is ready!!
#10 of 25 Old 11-22-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I was told to take the 300 mg in two doses every day, 12 hours apart, for a more even and continuous distribution in the bloodstream (more like our bodies pump it out.) So I take 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening. My levels at about 7 DPO always hovered around 5 or 6, not good for getting the little babies to stick! My ovaries were really trashed by endo in my 20s; I think that was the culprit. On progesterone, my levels are around 20-30. Just perfect. Oooooh, I hope hope hope it works. And if not, just keep on trying next month---like all of us, right?

For what it's worth, DH and I tried for ages and ages to get pregnant, and I had just about given up hope. When it was discovered that my progesterone levels were still super low, I went on supplements, and bam, we conceived on the first try. I was so shocked. We have four kids, and they were all conceived on the first try, with progesterone. One try! But this time, I decided, oh, I'll be clever and TTC without progesterone, just to see if I can! Well, four months have gone by without a BFP, so now I'll get out of my stupidity and get the supplements! (I'm like DUH, why did I think that would work?) I feel a little sad that we probably fertilized an eggie every month, and that little person could not stick. I hope his or her soul just keeps coming back and trying until my baby nest is ready!!
Thanks so much for sharing Freestyler. Your story is inspirational and I rally hope your next preg. comes soon. Just curious, have you any idea why a doctor would say def. Clomid and not progest. supplements? (as in my case)
I just can't seem to get anyone to go along with me and my Ob's pretty open, looks at my charts and such. She just says Clomid, maybe she's not confident of my O...anyways, just wondering. I really thought the supplements would be the solution for me too. ???

#11 of 25 Old 11-23-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I was told to take the 300 mg in two doses every day, 12 hours apart, for a more even and continuous distribution in the bloodstream (more like our bodies pump it out.) So I take 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening.
that makes sense!

:
#12 of 25 Old 11-23-2007, 09:48 AM

i have another related question...
i stopped taking my pg yesterday since i had a BFN blood test result. i'm now 4 days late (always exactly 28 day cycle) and i've never been pregnant before so i don't really know what it feels like, but i feel, well, kind of pregnant! i know that's the progesterone, but i just wish AF would come if i'm NOT pregnant so i can get on with the next cycle! not meaning to hijack the thread here, sorry!
does anyone here know how long i can expect it to take for AF to show up after stopping progesterone suppositories?
#13 of 25 Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I think it must be different for everyone, how long it takes AF to come back. Call your care provider and ask, maybe?

Poetgirl---I'm thinking the progesterone will not help you unless you are ovulating and everything is working fine to begin with. Has your care provider done any ultrasounds around O time to check out the ovaries? Ultrasounds are much more accurate than OPKs and temps and stuff, as much as I dislike going the technology route. I think your OB must want to be sure you're O'ing FIRST, and after that is certain, then check your progesterone levels and THEN see if you require supplements. Progesterone only helps the little bean to implant, it does not get the egg going in the first place. (I'll bet you knew that already.)

Good luck everyone!!!!!
#14 of 25 Old 11-23-2007, 08:45 PM

I took suppositories (100mg Prometrium X1 and sometimes 2X per day) for about 9 months. My period would come about 4-5 days after I took/inserted my last pill. I definitely had to stop to get my period, and it did always make me nervous about a possible pregnancy that just wasn't showing up on the hpt. Odd thing is I felt great on it--no menstrual cramps, no mood changes. I took a few months off of Prometrium, my levels are borderline and it felt weird to be on a hormone for so many months in a row. Now I am trying Clomid w/out Prometrium.
#15 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 AM

First of all thank you freestyler your story is inspirational. I have been trying for a long time now and this will be my first cycle with prog. I hope I can be as lucky as you!

I went to a fertility ARNP and she wanted to do an hsg and start me on clomid. I didn't want to do that so I went to my naturopath and got the prog. supplement. I have had my prog. tested with 2 pregnancies and both times it was low and I needed a supplement. My lp is also 10 days and I ovulate fine, as far as I know, since I have been pregnant 4 times just one was and now 3 years old! I think the general practice procedure is hsg and clomid. They want to make sure that your tubes are clear before giving you the drug. I just felt it wasn't necessary in my case and decided not to go that route. I felt much more comfortable with the bio-identical progesterone suppositories. It was much less invasive and much less side effects than the other tests/drugs. If this doesn't work I will do the hsg later and go from there.

Oh and I have been prescribed 100mg per day. It seems like a lot less than most have been prescribed though. I was told to take it for 14 days and then stop if I have a negative pregnancy test. It can stop your cycle from starting for some people.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#16 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add: Thank you all for not being judgmental, when I say that we have four kids and are TTC one more. You would not believe how often IRL people ask, "So, are you done?" and when I say I'd like one more, they say, "That would be an awful lot, don't you think?" or "Well, I don't think I would want any more than two kids, my hat's off to you," or "Do you really think that's a good idea?" It's like there is only one "right" answer in people's minds: "We.Are.Done." And if I say we want one last baby, people can't handle it. I have stopped telling most people, sadly. But the people who say mean things, they are not my friends anyway. So thank you again for being accepting, it is so awesome.
#17 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 07:38 AM

thanks everyone for that info... i'm feeling less and less pregnant each day since stopping the pg! yesterday was my birthday so i had some wine with dinner, i've been cleaning out cat litter boxes and today we're going to have some champers. (i think i've finally admitted that i'm not prego this cycle.) this was my first cycle after an hsg and first cycle on the suppositories so i was really hoping.

freestyler - i think it's great that you're trying for another. i wonder why people feel the need to vocalize on the number of children? it's not like they tell you "i wouldn't wear that shirt, but i guess if you like it...." or whatever. everyone makes different choices all the time about everything. i just don't get why certain things get chosen to point out. weird.

good luck to all of you!
#18 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

It must make people feel superior somehow to pass judgment on others' lifestyle choices. I don't get it either. Maybe people feel threatened?

Lulu---I hope that next month is the magic for you! Are you sure you're not pregnant this time? I'd stay away from the litterboxes untili you are sure. Hugs!!
#19 of 25 Old 11-24-2007, 03:47 PM

I came from a family of 5 and my parents came from families of 5 and 6, my grandparents, well lets just say there were a lot of them! I would love to have a big family! I think people are just not "used" to "big" families anymore. I say the more the merrier! I just wish I had a couple more already...

My friend just had a baby girl, so now she has "one of each" and she has ALL kinds of people telling her she must be "done" having kids now. The perfect american family...??? Crazy!

lulu1213 I hope that you have a healthy bun in the oven very soon. It is hard every month to get you hopes up and dashed but without hope we have nothing! I will hope for you! (and you can hope for me in 10-12 days )

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#20 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 07:17 AM

wow, you ladies are so sweet. i really got a lift reading your posts! AF came yesterday. better luck next time! actually, this next time we'll have to take off from trying, since my gyn wants me to take a round of lutenyl this cycle starting on CD6. i'm apprehensive since i really get the crazies on hormones : (never have been able to handle the BCP and i did go a little nuts after stopping the progesterone this last week...)

i'm hoping for all of you! thanks again for the help and hope...
#21 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I think it must be different for everyone, how long it takes AF to come back. Call your care provider and ask, maybe?

Poetgirl---I'm thinking the progesterone will not help you unless you are ovulating and everything is working fine to begin with. Has your care provider done any ultrasounds around O time to check out the ovaries? Ultrasounds are much more accurate than OPKs and temps and stuff, as much as I dislike going the technology route. I think your OB must want to be sure you're O'ing FIRST, and after that is certain, then check your progesterone levels and THEN see if you require supplements. Progesterone only helps the little bean to implant, it does not get the egg going in the first place. (I'll bet you knew that already.)

Good luck everyone!!!!!
thanks freestyler. we checked my ovaries last month at 8dpo and i had 8 follicles on right and 4 on left that we could easily see. one on R was 15 mm. the OB agrees my charts are biphasic but is not overwhelmed with them. still i know i'm Oing! i think clomid is an ok idea but we can't start it this cycle, so after this thread i am begging for some progest. supp. for this 1 month. it's cycle 13 for us and i just need to have a chance.

thanks for the informative thread everyone! GL!

#22 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Poetgirl---You should not have to beg for the damned stuff, progesterone that is! it is not exactly a banned substance. If your OB is giving you the runaround, then find another OB! I don't like how it sounds like your OB will not listen to you but just charts her own course and does it, regardless of your wishes. There ARE easier docs to work with! I'm not saying your OB is all wrong, no way am I saying that, but I am saying that you should have 100% vote in all decisions regarding your body. Find another doc! Imagine when you do get pregnant, how would you like working through a whole pregnancy with your current doc? What do you think are the chances that someone like that will give a flying crap what you want in labor? Anyway, she has apparently not been able to help your fertility at all, and since she is not listening to you also....well, just think about it, is all I'm saying. (And also, feel free to tell me to get stuffed and ignore my advice.)

Good luck ladies!!!!
#23 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Poetgirl---You should not have to beg for the damned stuff, progesterone that is! it is not exactly a banned substance. If your OB is giving you the runaround, then find another OB! I don't like how it sounds like your OB will not listen to you but just charts her own course and does it, regardless of your wishes. There ARE easier docs to work with! I'm not saying your OB is all wrong, no way am I saying that, but I am saying that you should have 100% vote in all decisions regarding your body. Find another doc! Imagine when you do get pregnant, how would you like working through a whole pregnancy with your current doc? What do you think are the chances that someone like that will give a flying crap what you want in labor? Anyway, she has apparently not been able to help your fertility at all, and since she is not listening to you also....well, just think about it, is all I'm saying. (And also, feel free to tell me to get stuffed and ignore my advice.)

Good luck ladies!!!!
No No, PLEASE do not get stuffed! It's been a real saga for me and I just can't figure out why. I just called and here's what happened:
i'm at what i believe to be 16 dpo, no AF, BFN after BFN and even a temp drop today, but nothing. i'm suposed to have a $1000 hsg next week providing AF ever comes and then i see an RE on Dec. 20 then I'm supposed to start clomid. i called my OB to ask for progest. supp. for this interim cycle (#13) becuase i'm sick of not having a chance and she said NO, that's not part of her practice!!! i was told that the RE would probably give it to me and 12/20 is not so far away...not to me!!! I also got the impression that my whole medical group operates like this. "We just don't do that at Kaiser" kind of a thing. It's not so strange is it Freestyler? ARRGH. Too bad I pay $250 a month for this crap. The RE is out of pocket so I guess that is commensurate to going elsewhere and getting someone else. I am so done with her. Thanks for the reality check and listening to my rant.

#24 of 25 Old 11-30-2007, 01:43 AM

Can anyone tell me if Progesterone will or can make your breasts more tender (and larger?)

#25 of 25 Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 AM

i think it can, although that didn't happen for me this past cycle. i think it can mimic pretty much all pregnancy/pms symptoms since the increase in this hormone basically causes your body to think it's pregnant. someone with more experience may be able to answer definitively.

User Tag List