Vitex side effects? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any know or common side effects of vitex?

I'm asking because I was quick to blame vitex for AF being late but I haven't been taking since cd 46 and I'm still waiting for AF. I'd love to hear other experiences.
#2 of 20 Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 AM

Here is everything I found on it. I hope it helps.

Quote:
Side effects from taking vitex include itching, rash, headache, hair loss, fatigue, agitation, dry mouth, tachycardia, nausea and increased menstrual flow. Large doses may cause ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Vitex is generally not recommended in pregnancy due to its unknown effects on the pituitary. Women who have cancers of the breasts or reproductive system, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids, and men who have prostate cancer should not take vitex. Vitex may interfere with HRT or oral contraceptives. They can also interfere with drugs that affect dopamine levels.
http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/...ents/vitex.php

Quote:
Nausea, stomach upset or headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if you have any of these unlikely but serious side effects: unusual changes in the menstrual period. An allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
http://www.medicinenet.com/chaste_tr...al/article.htm

Quote:
Vitex agnus castus is exceptionally safe. In one study, chaste tree berry was given up to 9 years with very few side effects.

It's advisable to not take vitex if you are pregnant.
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/vitex.html
#3 of 20 Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info. Those are exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone have higher temps while taking Vitex?
#4 of 20 Old 12-18-2007, 11:35 AM

I have had higher temps since taking Vitex! I think it's a good thing though. What I read in TCOYF said that pre-O temps below about 97.5 indicate low progesterone. Mine used to run about 96.8. Plus, an embryo needs a warmer environment. Not hot tub warm or anything but not cold like I always have been! It wouldn't surprise me if my cold nature has been hindering us in our TTC efforts. I'm warm now! I can't even sleep with the covers on anymore (except last night but my temp was way low this morning)!
#5 of 20 Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM

I started Vitex this cycle and my pre-o temps were a bit lower and my post-o temps higher...my understanding is that vitex works by balancing your cycle.

I haven't read TCOYF...yet... but in my understanding the dominant hormone before O is estrogen which is the cool one (lowers your temps) estrogen is what causes the build up of the lining in the uterus. After O the dominant is/should be progesterone which is the warm one (higher temps) if you are not pregnant, they both dip at the end of the cycle triggering AF.
Here's a pretty good chart and explanation...

As for your long cycle...is this your first cycle on Vitex?...I have read quite a few accounts of it taking up to three cycles to really balance/regulate? I charted an 8 day LP last cycle and am 10 DPO today with no sign of impending AF...we'll see if I go for a marathon cycle too.

Good luck to you and I hope the website helps!!
#6 of 20 Old 12-19-2007, 11:28 AM

I also read that taking Vitex during pregnancy was safe. I have been wondering though...

It seems to have been used for a remarkably long time without anything negative - even in pregnancy. It has lengthened my LP, and I have endometriosis (a version of it, anyway called adenomyosis). I am not 100% sure yet, but Vitex seems to be helping me with higher temps, no PMS, no pain duing BD (not sure if that is an effect of it or not, but I notice), and a less sore chest.

I want to find out why they say it is not safe during pregnancy because so many other place say it IS safe and that a pregnant woman should wean herself after 12-16 weeks.

If I find the site, I will post it.

Christi
#7 of 20 Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Christi,

What I read is that there are no long term studies showing the safety in pregnancy. I do not think it has been proven unsafe...just not proven safe yet.
#8 of 20 Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 AM

Blissfullyloving, thanks for that.

It's interesting to me that no one in the health industry is doing studies where we can readily find the answers. I imagine someone in some well-funded laboratory is trying to create an FDA-approved, manmade version of Vitex so they can sell it and try to profit from nature. *giggles*

I did a little digging on this site and found women who are currently using while pregnant. They might be a good resource for us all. I have not written anyone yet, but here's the link to one of the pages I have found. I will post more as I find them.

Thanks again,
Christi

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...p#post10033275
#9 of 20 Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DextersGirl View Post
It's interesting to me that no one in the health industry is doing studies where we can readily find the answers. I imagine someone in some well-funded laboratory is trying to create an FDA-approved, manmade version of Vitex so they can sell it and try to profit from nature. *giggles*
I am sure that is exactly what has happened (or is in the process of happening). :

Thanks for the link!
#10 of 20 Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliav View Post
As for your long cycle...is this your first cycle on Vitex?...I have read quite a few accounts of it taking up to three cycles to really balance/regulate? I charted an 8 day LP last cycle and am 10 DPO today with no sign of impending AF...we'll see if I go for a marathon cycle too.
Yes this was my first cycle taking vitex. I didn't expect a miracle since I know it can take up to 3 months for everything to be balanced out. I started to notice symptoms that started to make me worry: dizziness, nausea and vomiting daily, terrible migranes and I would wake up in the middle of the night extremely thirsty. All of these symptoms got to the point that I decided to contact my GP and stopped taking the vitex. He took blood tests and did an ultrasound, everything came back normal (except for being positive for strep B). After reading somewhere about side effects of vitex it got me thinking so I posted here to see if any of the ladies here had any info. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.
#11 of 20 Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 AM

JohnsCelticQueen That sounds awful. You seemed to have all the common side effects! I am not taking vitex, but I started taking an additional B-complex supplement. I swear that made me so nauseous.
#12 of 20 Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM

I did have some side effects that I felt were from taking vitex. I had taken the maximum dosage and I think that was part of it. I had horrible pms with dizziness, headaches, horrible lower backache, just felt awful all around. I stopped taking the vitex and it was a little better the next cycle (that was last cycle). I decided to try one more time, but in a lower dosage and in the capsule form rather than the tincture this cycle and so far I've had no strong PMS symptoms at all and af is due today or tomorrow.
#13 of 20 Old 12-20-2007, 12:34 PM

You know, I read somewhere yesterday that most people who did experience the Vitex side effects exhibited them within 3-4 days of beginning to take it. So I suppose if you ladies started feeling that way right around when you started Vitex you could pretty accurately attribute the sickness to it...I'll look for that reference. Here ya go
Complementary Therapies in Nursing and Midwifery
Volume 9, Issue 3, August 2003, Pages 157-160 :
"Vitex agnus castus...Side effects generally manifested within 3–5 days of the beginning of use, and all side effects disappeared with discontinuance of vitex."
#14 of 20 Old 12-20-2007, 12:42 PM

Were you taking the capsules or the tincture?

I read somewhere on the boards that the side effects of the capsules are worse than the tincture.

I am taking the tincture (just started Tuesday) and no side effects yet.
#15 of 20 Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 AM

How much vitex should a person take, and on what cycle days?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#16 of 20 Old 12-21-2007, 05:04 AM

Since taking vitex helps with progesterone production it can cause your temps higher especially in the LP.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#17 of 20 Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
How much vitex should a person take, and on what cycle days?
I take 1600mg/day for my entire cycle. It's safe during the 2ww and everything. I believe I read that even after you get a BFP, you should continue to take it through the 1st trimester and then gradually go off of it.
#18 of 20 Old 12-21-2007, 02:05 PM

I believe it was responsible for my extra-long cycle last month, as it's the only full cycle I took it. I will never take it again.

-
#19 of 20 Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I was taking it in pill form, 800mg a day. I planned on taking it the entire cycle. My 'symptoms' started 3 days after I started taking it, most of mine were under those listed for an allergic reaction and recommend that you contact your dr if they occure.
#20 of 20 Old 12-22-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsCelticQueen View Post
I was taking it in pill form, 800mg a day. I planned on taking it the entire cycle. My 'symptoms' started 3 days after I started taking it, most of mine were under those listed for an allergic reaction and recommend that you contact your dr if they occure.
I took like 1000mg a day during that cycle, for probably a total of 30 days (including a few days toward the end of the previous cycle).

-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page