TTC #1 in 2008 in our 20's! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on Cycle Day 59 I am depressed. I just want to have my period so I can start again. I have only had one period since stopping the pill in October.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 12:29 PM

Thanks for explaining, ladies! We are "casually" ttc right now, but maybe I'll start charting and all that just for my own knowledge. We don't have a target date or anything. I'd like to wait until Rob finishes his PhD, but who knows how long that will be
I also need to figure out my health insurance situation - I'm working right now, but will probably quit before I have a baby, so I'll need to get on his insurance. If I get accepted a grad program, I'm definitely quitting work! I just don't know if I should wait to get on his insurance until I have left my job, or try to do it before I'm pregnant or what.
Sorry about the rambling ~ I'm just thinking out loud!
Good luck to everyone!:

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
Personal update: cycle day 11, hope to ovulate soon, DTD last night Took my prenatals last night and then forgot and got freaked out by the neon pee.

I haven't been taking any prenatals, and my diet is far from perfect so I do need to at least take some sort of multi-vitamin. I have been taking folic acid, of course. The last time I tried to take a daily vitamin geared towards grown-ups it made me sick to my stomach. I think I need to go back to my generic Flintstones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
Would you buy an Ovacue fertility moniter if you had a deal on it?
Hmmm. Dunno. It seems an awful lot like the saliva microscopes you can buy for $20-40, honestly. I most certainly would not pay full price for it! However, the $100 isn't that much more than $40, relatively speaking, so it might be worth it since it analyzes everything for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
I am on Cycle Day 59 I am depressed. I just want to have my period so I can start again. I have only had one period since stopping the pill in October.
I'm sorry. I hope things kick into gear for you soon.

Birdie - good luck figuring out the insurance stuff! I'm, um, kinda uninsured now. Have been since 2000. It would cost us $400 extra a month to add me to my husband's insurance. That's an awful lot out of a teacher's salary, especially considering I'm rather healthy and almost never get sick. And I'd have to get a new job if I wanted my own, my store doesn't have enough hours to make me full-time. 'Sides, I don't want to work full-time, especially if I get pregnant. I waver between thinking it's incredibly irresponsible to try to get pregnant without insurance and thinking the chances of us racking up a huge bill for me alone are low.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM

Hey Girls! It's been awhile since I posted and I've been here and there and everywhere lately. I just caught back up though... my goodness have you covered a lot of topics... McGuvyer (love it), Saved by the bell (I have to admit that I watch it every morning as I'm getting ready for work), prenatals (I take the once a day Rainbow Light and they've been great so far), charting (I'm not currently charting but I bought a bbt thermometer and I am going to start next month if I'm not pregnant this time)

I saw earlier that Lee and someone else on this chat are from Texas! Hey to y'all! I am a Texas transplant living in San Diego.

So AF is due in a couple of days and I'm getting nervous. I've been holding off PCOS because if I'm not pg, then I don't want to know. Does that make sense? It just seems like the time from now until the next O takes forever and I don't want to think about it.

I'm curious, what are you girls thinking about your own birth plans. Are you planning on doing a homebirth, a birth center, or a hospital? I really want to do a homebirth but my dh is not so into that. He's agreed on a birth center though. But my insurance doesn't pay for either a homebirth or a birth center birth. And both are expensive here in SD. Around $4000.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM

I'm planning on a hospital birth with midwives. The hospital has a midwifry wing. My gyno is also an OB who works closely with midwives. My insurance won't cover a free-standing birth center, and there isn't one within 100 miles anyways. Homebirth is illegal in my state, which makes me leary in case I have to transfer.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
My period was crazy for a while after the pill...I think it really screwed with me, because I felt all funny too. I know that I felt really helpless during that time (I wasn't charting then so I don't know how long I was wacked out) and then I felt really angry that no one had taught me about other options or cautioned me about using the pill...I hope your cycle will get itself back in order soon. I know how frustrating it can be
Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, at least you picked the right forum. With so many of us who have experienced this recently or are about to, you are in good company. Sorry you are having such a hard time! Try to keep your chin up!

April 5th grade teacher and wife to hubby Justin : is expecting her first in April 2010!! Finally!!:
Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM

Woo hoo, finally got cross hairs! It's either CD17 or CD20 depending on how I adjust that one temp taken late. Not excellent timing, but ok.

Jaime~ I was looking at the ovusoft chart gallery the other day and they have a group of charts that look annov. but end with BFPs. It's pretty cool. One girl O'd on day 122 and got pregnant. So keep trying! There is also a section for people coming off the pill and most have crazy long cycles. Some people have posted their first three cycles off the pill and you can see things improving. You might want to check it out.

I'm taking generic pre-natals, but have a perscription for Prima Care. They're $30/month, so I haven't filled it because you could be taking them for years before getting pregnant.

Does anyone know how it works with picking a hospital if you already have an OB? Do they have a set hospital they use? My doctor works in a practice with 4 other women, so I would guess they rotate deliveries and probably use the neighboring hospital. I like my doctor, but maybe picking a good hospital with a birthing center wing would be better.

I need to get caught up reading here this weekend. I'm organizing a fundraiser pet walk-a-thon that's coming up and it's taking a lot of time. :

mom to DD 3/09
Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post
Woo hoo, finally got cross hairs! It's either CD17 or CD20 depending on how I adjust that one temp taken late. Not excellent timing, but ok.
WOOHOO!

I am getting close to time when I may ovulate, so I am excitedly anticipating my first O off the pill. Of course, my cycle may be all messed up, but we'll see when it happens.

Hope that everyone is having a good weekend. I, unfortunately, have conferences coming up at school, and will be preparing for them for most of the weekend. BOO.

Fly Girl- I don't think that there are any free standing birth centers around here. So I will probably have to see if a hospital close by at least has a wing for midwifery. I haven't looked too much into it yet.

Juliav- I am stalking your chart! :

April 5th grade teacher and wife to hubby Justin : is expecting her first in April 2010!! Finally!!:
Old 01-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
Homebirth is illegal in my state, which makes me leary in case I have to transfer.
Just want to throw it out that *homebirth* is not illegal, it's illegal for midwives to attend you at home. That's a big distinction in my book; a woman gets to give birth wherever she feels the need. However, I feel you on this issue of transfer. You could always talk to a local midwife and see what her routine is in that instance, some will come in with you as a doula and some will just drop you off at the hospital. Either way it's that midwives are illegal.

Quote:
Woo hoo, finally got cross hairs!
Does anyone know how it works with picking a hospital if you already have an OB? Do they have a set hospital they use?
on the crosshairs!!!! As for the ob/hospital thing... around here there are 3 hospitals. 2 of them are disastrous for giving birth and the the OB's in the area will deliver at either of them. The 3rd hospital has amazing stats and pretty much only family practice docs deliver there... and won't touch the other two. Hmmm, reason for the great stats maybe? Anyways, I'm pretty sure your OB will have privileges at certain hospitals, so ask her where she delivers. And if the stats aren't great there... you may consider switching obs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgurlie View Post
I am getting close to time when I may ovulate, so I am excitedly anticipating my first O off the pill. Of course, my cycle may be all messed up, but we'll see when it happens.
: for you!! I'm getting ready to O also!!

Flygirl - I think I already posted about this in this thread, but I'm definitely going for a home birth. Even if my insurance didn't cover it (I have no insurance anyways) and my husband was opposed to it (he's not) - I'd get a loan to pay for it, or scrimp and save to pay for it, and hire a doula and tell my husband to shove it. I feel SO strongly that home birth is the safest option for healthy women and would never subject myself or my baby to a hospital setting unless there was a medical indication for it - in which case I'd be greatfull for the knowledge and expertise of modern obstetrical science. I just don't think it applies well to healthy, normal birth. As a doula I see things that constantly make me cringe, cry, or rage in the name of "routine" or "safety" or "policy". No thanks.

That being said, if *you* were uncomfortable with a home birth, then go with the hospital by all means! Home birth is not the right choice if you don't believe in it's safety. It's not for everyone. I just don't think the husband/partner not being convinced is a good enough excuse to give birth in the hospital if the *Momma* wants a home birth. It's your birth, not his.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM

AF was due yesterday but she didn't show up.

Today is my bday so I was waiting to test until this morning and...

I got a

I can't believe it!!!! And I am so excited!!!!!

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Girl View Post
I saw earlier that Lee and someone else on this chat are from Texas! Hey to y'all! I am a Texas transplant living in San Diego.

I'm curious, what are you girls thinking about your own birth plans. Are you planning on doing a homebirth, a birth center, or a hospital? I really want to do a homebirth but my dh is not so into that. He's agreed on a birth center though. But my insurance doesn't pay for either a homebirth or a birth center birth. And both are expensive here in SD. Around $4000.
Hello transplanted Texan! Free standing birth center for me. The first one I looked into was $5000, which while a high number is doable, but I just got a "don't think so" vibe from it when I visited. Got the feeling they'd throw you out for ANYTHING in order to keep their stats good. Found another one online, and while I haven't visited it, I like the looks of it much better. It's also cheaper - either $3500 for a midwife, or $2500 for a supervised intern. I've no problem with going with an intern, they gotta learn sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
(I have no insurance anyways)
Oh, this makes me feel better.

Quote:

I got a

: Oh yea! Congratulations!! :

Off to the October Due Date Club with you! And Happy Birthday! What an excellent gift.

*wonders if aprilgurlie is happy now that someone's gotten two pink lines*

Me, I've changed my mind about, oh, 45 or so times in the past few days about whether to test or not. And I'm not exaggerating. I've felt queasy here and there for a few days now, and also a little hungrier than normal, but nothing major. And my chart appears to be triphasic, but I know that's no guarantee. Can't decide if I want to test, and if so how early, or if I just wanna wait for those 18 high temps. I think a big part of my indecision is that since this is my first month charting temps, I don't know how long my luteal phase typically is and therefore when my period is due. The only thing I know is that 18 high temps is a pretty good indicator. Tell me what to do, oh wise women of the internets!!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I got a

Yeah Flygirl!!!! Happy birthday and here's to a sticky, happy, and healthy 10 months!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Me, I've changed my mind about, oh, 45 or so times in the past few days about whether to test or not. And I'm not exaggerating. I've felt queasy here and there for a few days now, and also a little hungrier than normal, but nothing major. And my chart appears to be triphasic, but I know that's no guarantee. Can't decide if I want to test, and if so how early, or if I just wanna wait for those 18 high temps. I think a big part of my indecision is that since this is my first month charting temps, I don't know how long my luteal phase typically is and therefore when my period is due. The only thing I know is that 18 high temps is a pretty good indicator. Tell me what to do, oh wise women of the internets!!
Hmmmm. My magic ball says..... If it were that easy we wouldn't obsess over our charts or pee on way too many sticks! Last cycle for me I had a triphasic pattern and I NEVER have triphasic.... I had boob weirdness that even dh noticed and I never have that.... I tested on cd13 and a BFN and AF showed up 2 days later right on schedule. I felt a little dumb for testing. This cycle, I'm not planning on testing until AF is late (will wait for those 18 temps cause that'd be AF 2-3 days late), 1st b/c I really don't want to obsess as much b/c if I *am* pg I don't like the thought of the little bean swimming in stress hormones and 2nd b/c if you do test really early and get a BFN you'll think, hmmm maybe I just tested too early and feel like you haven't found out and will still want to test again, etc. However, I got my tests at the dollar store and what's a dollar if you really want to test? Ahhh, I'm so helpful, aren't I? lol!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 01-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
The only time i ever poas, i was one day late and got af 6 hours later. i don't think i could handle doing it any earlier, i would have wondered if it was just too early, or whatever. plus, spending $$ on tests! I will wait next time until my LP is at least 17 days.

Quote:

I got a

: :
Any symptoms yet? have you told anyone?

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Old 01-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I got a

: : Contrats!! : :

I think it had to do with buying that thermometer. Now, what can i go buy to get my BFP...

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Quote:
Tell me what to do, oh wise women of the internets!!

We're at about the same point (8dpo here) and I planned to hold out to 18 days as well. I'm really not thinking about it much because of my low temps, but your chart sure is perfect compared to mine. Why don't you test at 15dpo on Friday so you can take in the result over the weekend?

I'm just happy to have O'd this cycle and hoping these sensitive boobs and major bloating aren't going to be my new post BCP PMS symptoms. Yuck. I also had couple tiny waves of nausea today, but am attributing it to the bloating.

mom to DD 3/09
Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 PM

Thanks for all the congrats! DH and I are over the moon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
Any symptoms yet? have you told anyone?
Symptoms? Yeah, yesterday I stared getting nauseated and that has carried over today. I have a feeling that will continue. : Cramps. And my boobs are killing me. Other than that, nothing too bad. We'll see how it goes. And no, I haven't told anyone yet. My family lives out of town but my dad and my brother are coming to visit me in 11 days and I want to wait and tell them in person. I want my dad to be the first to know. Hopefully I can hold out that long!

Quote:
I think it had to do with buying that thermometer. Now, what can i go buy to get my BFP...

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I think you're right about the thermometer. Good thing I went ahead and bought it! Hmm, maybe that's the secret.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM

I'm not sure why I never joined this thread before, but... I guess it's not too late!

I'm 7 dpo and not very hopeful, but I'm rooting for the rest of you! If any of you are testing in early Feb, come join our Feb Testing thread!

-
Old 01-28-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm. My magic ball says..... If it were that easy we wouldn't obsess over our charts or pee on way too many sticks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
The only time i ever poas, i was one day late and got af 6 hours later. i don't think i could handle doing it any earlier, i would have wondered if it was just too early, or whatever. plus, spending $$ on tests! I will wait next time until my LP is at least 17 days.
Quote:
We're at about the same point (8dpo here) and I planned to hold out to 18 days as well. I'm really not thinking about it much because of my low temps, but your chart sure is perfect compared to mine. Why don't you test at 15dpo on Friday so you can take in the result over the weekend?
You wise women are so right. I need to just wait. Especially since I got some watery-ish cervical fluid tonight, and the tiniest bit of spotting. Mind, the fluid could have been semen, and the spotting from, um, what got the semen there, but then, that was well over 10 hours ago so you'd think it'd be gone by now. I think I'm going to go with assuming my period will start soon, and planning for next cycle, unless strong symptoms or continuing high temps tell me otherwise. I really don't have any good reason to think this cycle was it (other than I want it to be! ) 'cause my cervical fluid this cycle was so not impressive nor long-lasted. Sigh. And now, I shall stop being pessimistic and bringing down the thread.

We just bought all kinds of new furniture today (I have a real dining table for the first time EVER!! So excited! And a nice new coffee table too!) and now we have to rearrange our house to fit it all in. This will hopefully help keep my mind occupied for the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
I'm not sure why I never joined this thread before, but... I guess it's not too late!

I'm 7 dpo and not very hopeful, but I'm rooting for the rest of you! If any of you are testing in early Feb, come join our Feb Testing thread!
Hello hello! I've been lurking in your Feb thread, but there's only so many threads I can keep up with, so I haven't posted.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM

That's so great!
Hope the rest of us will be there soon! It is important not to stress out over this, stress really affects our hormones. So everyone, BREATHE in and out, nice calming baby-making breathes!

Lee - I think you're brave to try without insurance! Will the baby be covered under your husbands' insurance, even if you aren't?

I really think it's too soon to say what my birth plan will be. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself here! But there is a small, mother-daughter midwife run birth center here, and I would love to be able to give birth there. They claim to accept all insurance carriers, but I havent' looked into it further. I don't think I want to have a homebirth. I don't know exactly why, but the idea just doesn't sit well with me. And I definitely don't want to be in the hospital, so hopefully that can be avoided. But we'll see when the time comes!

Good luck to all you ladies! I can't wait to hear about more positive results!!!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:

I got a

AWESOME!! Congrats!!

Quote:
Hello transplanted Texan! Free standing birth center for me. The first one I looked into was $5000, which while a high number is doable, but I just got a "don't think so" vibe from it when I visited. Got the feeling they'd throw you out for ANYTHING in order to keep their stats good. Found another one online, and while I haven't visited it, I like the looks of it much better. It's also cheaper - either $3500 for a midwife, or $2500 for a supervised intern. I've no problem with going with an intern, they gotta learn sometime!

I am the same way about interns. I would not have a problem with an intern. I look at it this way, when I was getting my teaching degree, people let me teach their children while being supervised. There is not much difference. I needed to learn, and so do our future doctors and midwives.

I am making a mess of my chart. I just sort of started a week ago and this weekend was a nightmare at work. I don't even remember the last time I slept. I am going to start again tomorrow.

It has been two months since a period. I know, I am just coming off of the pill, so my body is adjusting. I guess it doesn't matter how many times I hear it, DH is even saying it now But I just feel disconnected without a cycle. Does that make any sense? I was never one to mind my period, I actually liked having it. I am totally crazy, I know But to me having a period means my body is doing what it is supposed to, and I can hopefully get pregnant one day.

As far as the birth I would want goes.. well, I have been looking in to it, not a lot of midwives here to chose from. I did find one in another city. I hate living in a small area! I am overweight, so I am pretty sure I would get the whole "at risk by default" crap. So I would not be surprised if I ended up giving birth at a hospital, which I would not mind, as long as I had a midwife, or a very open minded doctor. I am so particular. I am not sure how I would feel about a homebirth, I am still researching it.

Actually, Amber Lion, I might want to harass you in PMs about homebirths, if you wouldn't mind me asking some questions I definatly do NOT consider giving birth to be an emergency, so I don't know what the big deal is about the normal process of giving birth. That is why I dislike hospitals.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I got a

That is EXCELLENT!

Yay Fly Girl, have a safe, happy and healthy 9 months!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Woohoo! Yay FlyGirl!

Loving life with my amazing DH , luminous DD ( March 2009), and two crazy .
Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post
Lee - I think you're brave to try without insurance! Will the baby be covered under your husbands' insurance, even if you aren't?
Not Lee, but I don't have insurance either so thought I'd throw it out.... in my state pregnant women and children get medical insurance for free. I wouldn't use it unless I had to transfer to the hospital, but that's when I'd need it anyways.

Quote:
Actually, Amber Lion, I might want to harass you in PMs about homebirths, if you wouldn't mind me asking some questions I definatly do NOT consider giving birth to be an emergency, so I don't know what the big deal is about the normal process of giving birth. That is why I dislike hospitals.
Feel free! I know I have strong opinions, so if you want to hear them I'd fire away!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Not Lee, but I don't have insurance either so thought I'd throw it out.... in my state pregnant women and children get medical insurance for free. I wouldn't use it unless I had to transfer to the hospital, but that's when I'd need it anyways.
That would be nice in case of emergency! I don't think we have that here. I think the limits for being on medicaid are more lenient if you're pregnant, but even so we don't qualify.

Birdie, yes, any children are covered. We'd have either 30 or 60 days to sign them up, but coverage is retroactive to the date of birth. So heaven forbid we had a preemie, the medical bills for me might suck, but we wouldn't be stuck with the baby's as well.

Although you've got me wondering... if I were to conceive this cycle I'd be about 18 or so weeks when my husband's open enrollment time came up. It might be worth paying out of pocket for a quick ultrasound to see if we think we might need to sign me up. I'd be due about 6 weeks after the insurance would kick in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion
Feel free! I know I have strong opinions, so if you want to hear them I'd fire away!
We have permission to pick Amber's brain! Excellent!

Seriously though, I do have a question for you. I have a friend who's nearing the end of her first trimester, and while I've told her I am going to do the midwife thing, she says she wants the comfort of medical equipment and doctors. Now, while I'm all for that if that's truly what would make her comfortable, I suspect some of her reasoning is out of ignorance. I mean, if you'd have asked me 6 months ago if I'd go natural for childbirth I'd have looked at you like you were crazy. So I'm wondering what's the best way to gently introduce her to the idea, and to spell out all the crap that can go on intervention-wise in the hospital without scaring her? A book, a website? Just talking to her conversationally (in email, she doesn't live near me) about how safe it's been proven to be? Also, she has Grave's disease - does a thyroid problem throw you out of the low-risk category? I mean, I don't want to push her to midwifes and homebirths if that's not what she wants, but I do think she needs to know what she's potentially signing up for when it comes to a hospital birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime
I am the same way about interns. I would not have a problem with an intern. I look at it this way, when I was getting my teaching degree, people let me teach their children while being supervised. There is not much difference. I needed to learn, and so do our future doctors and midwives.

I am making a mess of my chart. I just sort of started a week ago and this weekend was a nightmare at work. I don't even remember the last time I slept. I am going to start again tomorrow.
Yup! I figure as long as there is someone there all the time who knows what they are doing, I'm cool with it. I mean, as long as they don't have the "I can figure this out myself, I don't need to ask questions!" mentality to learning things that I do.

Hope your chart starts behaving soon, and really hope you start getting some sleep!

And now I have to go out and buy a paintbrush so I can touch up our walls where our bookcases used to be and our TV is now going. It's going to be very difficult to not pick up a test while I'm out, my convictions from last night notwithstanding. My temp was still up this morning, there's been no more spotting, and I've had a few random pains in my breasts. : Not to mention I'm incredibly impatient.

ETA: I managed to not buy any pregnancy tests. Probably 'cause I managed to not buy anything, due to leaving my debit card (and driver's license, oops ) at home. Sigh. I'd like to say the forgetfulness could be a sign of pregnancy brain, but really, it's just typical lee brain.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Seriously though, I do have a question for you. I have a friend who's nearing the end of her first trimester, and while I've told her I am going to do the midwife thing, she says she wants the comfort of medical equipment and doctors. Now, while I'm all for that if that's truly what would make her comfortable, I suspect some of her reasoning is out of ignorance. I mean, if you'd have asked me 6 months ago if I'd go natural for childbirth I'd have looked at you like you were crazy. So I'm wondering what's the best way to gently introduce her to the idea, and to spell out all the crap that can go on intervention-wise in the hospital without scaring her? A book, a website? Just talking to her conversationally (in email, she doesn't live near me) about how safe it's been proven to be? Also, she has Grave's disease - does a thyroid problem throw you out of the low-risk category? I mean, I don't want to push her to midwifes and homebirths if that's not what she wants, but I do think she needs to know what she's potentially signing up for when it comes to a hospital birth.
The thing that always gets me is this mentality that you either get western obstetrical care OR homebirth midwifery care. That's just completely not true! Any midwife worth her salt is trained in the gradual signs that complications are arising and will transfer or consult with a back-up doc when that happens. It's not like, "Oh, you chose a homebirth midwife and now you'll have to hemorrhage to death!" Not only does the midwife carry herbs or drugs (depending on her qualifications) to stop a hemorrhage, she is also trained in manual expulsion of the placenta, fundal massage, assesment of blood loss, etc. and will transfer to the hospital in plenty of time if her skills are not enough. Same thing with problems in the newborn or during birth. The asset here is that if you don't need any of the western obstetrical care you're not bombarded with it, but if you DO need it, you really know you need it and welcome it gratefully.

One of my favorite books for introducing people to the idea is Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She basically paraphrases all the research out there for pro's and con's of routine obstetrical care. It's very clear and while she's biased towards natural birth (with reason when you read the evidence), very fair. Another is "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth". Half of it is birth stories that illustrate the safety and the advantages of natrual/homebirth through other women's experiences. The other half is full of really empowering stuff about what women's bodies can do when left to do it. Both are mainstream enough not to freak someone out too.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Holy Crap! I leave for a day and look what happens!

lol Congrats, FlyGirl!! :: All of us here wish you a beautiful pregnancy!

And yes, lee, I AM excited about getting our first BFP on this thread!
I have a feeling it is going to be one of many to follow. :

Of course all this excitement has to start happening when I will hardly have time to check in in the next few weeks! GRRR conferences.

But, I am just going to have to make time, so many charts look promising!

Thanks, FlyGirl, for "breaking the seal!"

Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM

That is fantastic Fly Girl!! That must have been simply amazing to see those double lines!!! Congratulations!!!

I hope she did break the seal! *looks* I've been not in the mood for posting lately... Sitting at CD 58!!! Ugh!!! I haven't tested in a couple weeks... scared to really. I might next week... *shrugs*

I've had cramping like I'm going to get my period for the last several weeks... nothing happens.

Was negative a couple weeks ago when I went to the doc... or was that last week... everything is a blur anymore, I'm pretty sure it's been two weeks though. lol

Maybe, I should just be daring and go test tonight? lol

Though... fertilityfriend.com decided somehow that it thinks I may have ovulated four days ago. I had a temp spike, and like magic lines showed up on my chart. lol But that could be for any reason... my temps aren't staying anywhere near each other and are all over the place.

I've read that temps would stay high if pregnant... does anyone know if that's a cold hard fact or if there is any possibility to be pregnant with fluctuating temps?

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It has been two months since a period. I know, I am just coming off of the pill, so my body is adjusting. I guess it doesn't matter how many times I hear it, DH is even saying it now But I just feel disconnected without a cycle. Does that make any sense? I was never one to mind my period, I actually liked having it. I am totally crazy, I know But to me having a period means my body is doing what it is supposed to, and I can hopefully get pregnant one day.

*hugs Jaime lots*

OMG!! We can be "crazy cycle off pill" buds! I can totally totally agree with that whole paragraph!! I feel so broken!!! *cries*

I really wish I had known the pill could mess you up this bad. I knew people who got off the pill and got pregnant pretty quick, so I never really thought about it.

What is really frustrating is it seemed like my cycles were going back to normal! My first cycle off was at 38 days... not too bad, then it went to 43... meh... But then! It went to 25 and I was like, "yay I'm getting fixed!!"

Then the cycle after that was 60! GRRR!!!

And that was the last period I had... I'm not at 58 days... I've been crampy for like the last month... last test I took was at the doc office about two weeks ago and it was negative. I have felt no other changes so haven't felt like testing.

The doc fed me the crap that my cycles could be off because I'm a little overweight and I should look at losing 10 - 20 lbs. Well, I have lost 16 lbs since May. *shrugs*

Been doing Weight Watchers for a month now and went down another 7 lbs.

But I can totally sympthize with the feeling disconnected. I have always felt in touch with my body and now I don't.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Congratulations flygirl

My AF is due also, but I tested on 11dpo it was BFN. Today I am on 13dpo and still there is no AF. So still there is a chance I am planning to test it on 15dpo....
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm pretty sure I ovulated yesterday, so now we'll wait. I'm not getting my hopes up though, since it's my first cycle after a miscarriage.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:

User Tag List