Raising progesterone--herbs or meds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just found out i have low progesterone--5.9. according to my midwife i need to raise it to at least 10 to support a pregnancy. she has recommended we take a few months off and i try to raise my progesterone through acupuncture, vitex, stress reduction, and the hormonal balance tea they have (they raspberries/nettles one). i am all for doing htings the natural way, but i'm also tempted by the idea of progesterone cream or suppository or anything else that will work faster. I do want to do it right, but the idea of waiting months to start trying again makes me a little bummed. actually, i'm a lot bummed about it. feeling very unsure and scared about what to do. it'd be wonderful to just be able to get a prescription to raise my levels, but at the same time, i want to fix the underlying problems for the long term, not just mask them to get pregnant and then possibly miscarry.

thoughts?

thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
just found out i have low progesterone--5.9. according to my midwife i need to raise it to at least 10 to support a pregnancy. she has recommended we take a few months off and i try to raise my progesterone through acupuncture, vitex, stress reduction, and the hormonal balance tea they have (they raspberries/nettles one). i am all for doing htings the natural way, but i'm also tempted by the idea of progesterone cream or suppository or anything else that will work faster. I do want to do it right, but the idea of waiting months to start trying again makes me a little bummed. actually, i'm a lot bummed about it. feeling very unsure and scared about what to do. it'd be wonderful to just be able to get a prescription to raise my levels, but at the same time, i want to fix the underlying problems for the long term, not just mask them to get pregnant and then possibly miscarry.

thoughts?

thanks!
Hulahoop, I'm in your shoes down to living in SF! At about 8 mths trying, I found out I had low P too, tried acupuncture (great acup. for fertility named Jennifer Moss), herbs, natural progesterone cream. While these supported my cycle nicely, they did not raise my prog. levels as I kept testing it for 3 mths. Last month I used prometrium and it was the first month in a while I felt like I even had a chance. Now I'm on Clomid with help of a great RE. The point, from my experience I guess, is to realistically assess how patient you are willing to be. I waited a long time to TTC #1 with hopes of having many children. I'm 34 and feeling like I'll be blessed to have one. Trying the change my body naturally (which I am otherwise totally for) took up a lot of time. Now I'm on my 14th cycle. This is a hard place to be. I wish I had gone down this road sooner. You may have a diff. experience completely, but that is mine, for what it's worth. BTW, I am still supporting the Western med. with acup. and herbs.
I wish you loads of luck and that you find the choice that's right for you.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#3 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Can you tell me who your RE is? I've gone to one guy who is great, but it's hard to get in to see him, and of course super expensive.

I'm veering toward the medicated side, also of course doing the other stuff. I just don't want to wait. I'll be 37 in February and we've been trying since August. My main concern really is messing up other aspects of my body that are totally working fine, know what i mean? the whole don't fix it if it's isn't broke thing. So many things are going right, i don't want to upset hte balance and overdo it with intense meds and freak my body out.
#4 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 PM

Go with the cream. I"m of the opinion that it can't hurt, so try it. You can take it all the way through your 16th week of pregnancy and then again after you deliver to help curb PPD. I spent all day debating this and started taking it last night. I've done 3 applications now (2x's daily) and for some reason I feel better. I felt wierd before for some reason.
#5 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
Thanks!

Can you tell me who your RE is? I've gone to one guy who is great, but it's hard to get in to see him, and of course super expensive.

I'm veering toward the medicated side, also of course doing the other stuff. I just don't want to wait. I'll be 37 in February and we've been trying since August. My main concern really is messing up other aspects of my body that are totally working fine, know what i mean? the whole don't fix it if it's isn't broke thing. So many things are going right, i don't want to upset hte balance and overdo it with intense meds and freak my body out.
I totally know what you mean! I think trying the cream like the PP suggested is a good idea, it's so benign. My RE is Robert Noctigall at Kaiser SF. I've also heard FANTASTIC things are Marcelle Cedars at UCSF (I *think*) and Elvin Shriock at PFC who actually works with my acup. Jen Moss. For the record, I felt good taking the prometrium, actually I felt pretty pregnant. I know someone who took it and got preg. the 1st month on it. I expect no matter what, I'll need prog. once preg. as you said in your first post. The Clomid's been hard for me, but I do feel like it's doing what needs to be done, based on my body.

#6 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, everyone!

did you get teh cream through a prescription, or is an over the counter thing?
#7 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM

I used an otc natural P cream. You can get them at Whole Foods, Rainbow, etc. I used Source Naturals, have also heard good things about Emerita.

#8 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM

You can get it over the counter. Just be sure that you don't get the one (I think it's FemCream) that has black cohash in it. That's natural estrogen and you don't want that. You can actually get it at Walmart, over with the vitamins and stuff. Just look hard, at our Walmart, it's on the bottom shelf in a square shaped box. I got mine at the healthfood store though.
#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 11:51 PM

i would try the cream too, preface i am not a professional concerning this, but i have heard that even with the cream, it's usually not enough to support a pregnancy -usually you have to get a prescription dosage...i had a good friend who had to take oral progesterone pills for the entire first trimester.
#10 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 PM

Just my 2 cents, my one level was OK but they said take the pills anyway, they made me very very sick after just 1 pill!

There is alot of stuff both ways, some say if it's low there is a reason and taking the pills only delays the miscarriage.

If you can do something natural I'd try that first but remember there is 101 things that can go wrong, that is usually why a baby miscarries, it's sad and awful, but often there is a reason

good luck
#11 of 13 Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 AM

i totally understand what you're saying, but if your problem is soley not high enough progesterone to maintain the pregnancy, it is not a given you will miscarry. my friend has two miscarriages before they figured out the problem, and now has a beautiful baby girl. she wasn't horribly sick after taking the oral progesterone, but it did make her queasy and uncomfortable -she was very glad when she was out of her first trimester and her body kicked in enough on its own.

whether or not you do the cream of course is up to you, try it for a month or so, and then see where your levels are at.

i don't know enough to tell you what level you have to be at to maintain a pregnancy, but i do know that sometimes cream & nature/natural methods aren't enough to support a pregnancy.

good luck to you!!!
#12 of 13 Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 AM

There's also a sublingual progesterone you can buy online called ProgonB without a prescription. I started using it after O and will continue through my 12th week. I found the cream wasn't strong enough for my body.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#13 of 13 Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 AM

I had one baby with no problems, Baby #2 I spotted for 16 weeks, baby #3 I lost at 12 1/2 weeks, Baby #4 I lost at 9 weeks, Baby #5 I was on progesterone vaginal sapository (sp?) and she is 18 months. I went with a sapository because everything I read said that it put the hormone where it needed to be and your body didn't have to digest it. With that said I had 16 weeks of :Puke Something I didn't have with any of the other Pg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page