hCG 9 at 13 dpo = pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wondering if I had a chemical pregnancy this past cycle, and I was wondering if others have had similar experiences.

My luteal phase is always on the short side, like nine or ten days, and this past cycle it was 15 days. I never got a positive home pregnancy test, although I tried plenty of times. I had a blood test at 13 days past ovulation -- my hCG was at nine -- and I had two days of high temperatures after that. Then my temperature dropped and my period started.

The nurse who gave me the results over the phone was less than helpful, but I gathered that women who are not at all pregnant have hCG levels approaching zero, or certainly less than five. She refused to speculate with me as to whether I had been pregnant or not, as they consider every level under ten to be negative.

I've looked at the useful charts at http://www.betabase.info, so I know that a viable pregnancy at 13 DPO can have an hCG range of 4 to 575, but I was hoping to hear personal experiences.
#2 of 6 Old 01-22-2008, 07:45 PM

When I called to get my results last cycle from a blood test the nurse told me that 10 is considered pregnant BUT, that might vary from lab to lab.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#3 of 6 Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMiller View Post
When I called to get my results last cycle from a blood test the nurse told me that 10 is considered pregnant BUT, that might vary from lab to lab.

Thanks! Yeah, that's exactly what the nurse told me -- that anything less than 10 was negative. But 9 is more than zero, and pretty close to 10, which made me wonder if I had briefly been "a little bit" pregnant.
#4 of 6 Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 AM

It sounds like a chemical pregnancy to me. Some labs call anything under a 5 not pregnant. But with the exception of certain medical conditions, a non-pregnant woman is likely to have an hcg close to zero (sometimes in the 1 or 2 range). In fact, with my last dd, the lab told me my results were negative with an hcg of 4. But my mom, who is a midwife, told me that 4 was an unusually high number for me if I wasn't pregnant, and that the only time she usually saw numbers that low is when someone was losing the pregnancy and their numbers went up and then started going back down. Since it was early, 10DPO, she told me to wait and have another blood test in a couple of days. My numbers actually did start going up and i was pregnant with my dd.

I think that the nurse was probably just trying to cover her butt in some weird way or to make you feel better. But IMO, it helps to be informed, even if the information isn't always good. I think that an hcg of 9 indicates that you had an early pregnancy, since hcg is only produced during pregnancy or a few other fairly unusual medical conditions.
#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 AM

Around here anything less than 25 and they will tell you it was negitive. It sounds like a chemical to me from your description.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 PM

I am in the middle of a chemical pregnancy right now. It is my third one, I never got blood work done but had positive HPT's just to wind up starting my "period" a few days or a week later. My HPT's would never get to dark and would start to get lighter instead of darker. I never "felt" pregnant with my other ones but with this one I have been VERY nauseated and hungry. I have never had any losses that went past the first trimester but to me a loss is a loss no matter when it happens. For me it seems to a be a thyroid issue. I just went to my endocrinologist today and sure enough my levels are off and she adjusted my meds so hopefully it will help with any future pregnancies. For me age is also a factor because I am 37 and the older you are the higher chance of MC one has. I would suggest charting to help see what's going on with your cycle. You may just need some progesterone if your LP is to short. Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page