anyone have an opinion (re gender) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
already have a boy and a girl does anyone have an opinion on whether you'd 'want' another boy or another girl in my situation?

personally I think another boy would be good in that otherwise DS would be WAY WAY older (like 7 years or more) than a brother, whereas if the next one was a boy, he'd only be roughly 4 years older.

but 4 years is still a pretty big gap, not as big as 7 or 8, but still, would 2 boys that far apart have 'fun' playing together and stuff as brothers?? Would they be close as brothers? Or would they still be far enough apart in age that that wouldn't happen? (I'm thinking 4 years apart they could still share a room when they're like 3 and 7 and still would be young enough to have some similar play interests??)

If it were a girl, I think it would be nice for DD to have a sis only about 2 years apart from her...........or is that so close that there would be more jealousy and stuff than if she had a little brother?

anyone with more kids want to chime in with thoughts?

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
one girlie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(1/07), one 13 wk
(10/13) and

5/15 just your average

multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any kids, but I thought I'd chime in It seems to me that if you're questioning it like you are then you should just go for a surprise (which you could get anyway ).

Actually, I just thought I'd add one thing: My three nephews are 10, 7, and almost 4 and they do well in every pairing: 10yo and 7yo, 7yo and 4yo, 10yo and 4yo. However if you get all three together it's complete chaos .

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM

My sister and I are 7.5 years apart and extremely close as adults. As children we were close too. She was like a little doll for me. I love how our relationship has always been great, and yet has evolved over time. She just had her first baby, its so neat.

For sisters I think it matter less what the age gap is. I actually think it matters more for males.

I think you'll get the baby you are supposed to get,

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09

#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM

I always wanted to have boy, girl, boy.

I figured it put one boy special as the oldest and the other special as the baby, then the girl would be special just cause she's the only girl. No middle child.

Of course, now, I just want a baby!

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#5 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 AM

DH and his bro are 4 years apart and they shared a room growing up and are close as ever now. They even shared friends growing up and always hung out in groups together. GL with whatever gender is meant for your family next!
#6 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakers_mama View Post

...4 years is still a pretty big gap, not as big as 7 or 8, but still, would 2 boys that far apart have 'fun' playing together and stuff as brothers?? Would they be close as brothers? Or would they still be far enough apart in age that that wouldn't happen? (I'm thinking 4 years apart they could still share a room when they're like 3 and 7 and still would be young enough to have some similar play interests??)...

anyone with more kids want to chime in with thoughts?
My boys are 8 years apart (11 years and 3 years) and oh-my-goodness, yes they do indeed play with each other, more than I would like sometimes. For instance, tonight I went in their room because I heard Prof. Poopy Pants (the younger one) giggling at around 10:30. Hanging down over the bunk bed is Captain Knuckle with his helmet lamp on, making shadow puppets on the wall for the Professor! Yesterday after a round of wrastlin' and general goofing off, the Professor climbed onto my lap and said, "I love my brother so much. He's my friend."

So yes, they can be that far apart and still be friends and have common interests (Legos anyone?) Certainly when they were a little younger and the Prof. couldn't play as much & it was a bit harder, but now that he is older, they have the best time together.

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#7 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM

Maybe a boy?

Honestly though, once I have a girl, (we have a boy) I won't care how the others turn out/what the ratio is. I just want one of each, and then the next three can be whastever and I';d be happy.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page