Should the length of your luteal phase be consistent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only been charting through 2 complete cycles, but I've gotten an 11 day LP and a 15 day LP.

I've read it shouldn't vary that much, but then I've also read that fertility friend isn't the best at determining ovulation. My cycles are kind of weird as I have some inconsistent waking times (so hard to wake up early on the weekend!) and sleep deprivation (thanks work!).

Thanks for any insights. I can post my charts if anyone's interested and I can figure out how what the url is.

~Julia
#2 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 PM

if you are just relying on FF, I'm betting that's why it's off. usually the lp is consistent and will only vary +\- a day (so if usually 11 days, it could be 10 or 12). I've found that if you put FF on FAM instead of advanced, it will be more consistent with charting rules
#3 of 10 Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
if you are just relying on FF, I'm betting that's why it's off. usually the lp is consistent and will only vary +\- a day (so if usually 11 days, it could be 10 or 12). I've found that if you put FF on FAM instead of advanced, it will be more consistent with charting rules
Thanks, I'll try that. What other methods or programs can be used to determine ovulation? I assume I can take my past temps and determine if the ovulation date is right?

Also, what does it mean if you do have a LP that is inconsistent?

Oh, and I think I figured out how to post my charts! Does this work?
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1d9a7e

Thanks!

~Juila
#4 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
HUH?? i am new to fertility friend, i haven't gotten to cycle two yet, but what is "FAM"? i looked on ff and didn't get what you meant??? should i change mine too?? Thanks!!

#5 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 PM

Mine varied a lot when I first started charting but that's because I was coming off BC (after 7 years). It's evening out now and it seems to be comfy around 12 days.
#6 of 10 Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
HUH?? i am new to fertility friend, i haven't gotten to cycle two yet, but what is "FAM"? i looked on ff and didn't get what you meant??? should i change mine too?? Thanks!!

"FAM" stands for Fertility Awareness Method, which is the method that many women go by when they chart. It has to do with how you determine your O day, which temps to include/exclude, etc. Fertility Friend has its own settings that it uses to determine these things automatically, and they are slightly different than standard FAM rules. If you were to read "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler, it outlines the FAM rules. I think that anyone who starts there and learns the FAM method generally likes to override Fertility Friend and go by those rules because they feel it's more accurate. It all depends on your style! I would suggest reading up on FAM just so you're aware of what it is. For now, the FF settings will be fine until you have a few more cycles under your belt to really analyze as a whole.

Laura , wife to Jeremy : since 7-23-06. MFI caused by a Robertsonian translocation; starting DIUI cycle #5, this time with injectables. Trying to hang in there.
#7 of 10 Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Thanks, I'll try that. What other methods or programs can be used to determine ovulation? I assume I can take my past temps and determine if the ovulation date is right?

Also, what does it mean if you do have a LP that is inconsistent?

Oh, and I think I figured out how to post my charts! Does this work?
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1d9a7e

Thanks!

~Juila
What's tricky with charting temps is that they are really useful in hindsight, but not really until you have a few charts to look at. Your LP length *can* vary a bit depending on how your chart is interpreted, and if FF is doing the interpreting FOR you then that can affect it. If you forget to put in one thing or if you put in something slightly "off", it'll take that into account and change how things are interpreted.

For me, I know when I ovulate because I've had enough charts by now that I can look back and see that I consistently ovulate right around the same day. Until you have enough charts to look at together, you could consider using OPKs to get a more definite result. Charting your cm will also help - if you go by FAM rules, the last day of fertile cm before the temp rise is considered your "peak" day - so the combination of the temps and checking your cm will usually make it pretty obvious.

Sometimes FF can be wrong, though, so knowing the rules really well yourself can help you to determine if you should trust FF or not!

Laura , wife to Jeremy : since 7-23-06. MFI caused by a Robertsonian translocation; starting DIUI cycle #5, this time with injectables. Trying to hang in there.
#8 of 10 Old 02-01-2008, 04:30 PM

THANKS LADYLAURA!!!!!

i am so excited about learning to chart, i ran out in the 12 inch snow today to get my basal thermometer! i have NEVER been so happy to get my period LOL!!!!!
#9 of 10 Old 02-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Your LP shouldn't vary MORE than 1-4 days once you have a steady LP (as opposed to if you're lengthening it or something). My LP was 18 days on average (talk about a sucky nearly THREE week wait!), but sometimes it was 16-17 days.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#10 of 10 Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Exactly! Don't let misinformed people tell you that the luteal phase never varies. So many people have told me that adamantly, and that false info is all over the internet too. My RE and midwife confirmed that the luteal phase can/will definitely change a day or two month to month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page