Vitex Dosage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi everybody. I am starting to take Vitex, but am all confused about the dosage. How much are other people taking a day (I bought pills with 400 mg per capsule), and also are you taking it after ovulation? It seems advice on this is contradictory. I am trying to tack on a couple days to my LP, so it seems that is when I would most need it, but then you aren't suppose to take it if you are pregnant.

Just wondering what other people know about this supplement.
Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 02:00 PM

Mine are 400mg and I take 4. The recommended dosage on the bottle (Solaray) is 4-6 capsules a day. You take it continuously. If you get pg while taking it, you have to continue it through the first trimester and then wean off of it I believe. If you stop taking it, it can cause your progesterone levels to drop (since it helps balance hormones) which could lead to a m/c. That dosage seems to be working for me. My temps are a little higher and my LP has increased by 2-3 days.
#3 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting, mine says 2-3 for the first few weeks, then you can go down to just one a day. It makes sense that you would want to take it for the beginning of pregnancy, but alarming that so many sources seem to think it should not be taken while pregnant.

Now another thing to stress out about. Does anyone know can Vitex increase the chances of twins? I googled this (I'm not ever sure where the idea even came from...) and it seems like of a lot of non-expert people [like me] have heard this, or are asking about this, but I can not find a clear cut answer one way or the other. I am not ready to start taking medication that could increase those odds for me yet, and would like to clear that up before take any more. It seems like it wouldn't.

Anyone?
#4 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 07:45 PM

^I'm not sure about the twins thing. I've not heard that.

I've looked at other bottles of Vitex at my local health food store and one of them had a completely different recommended dosage that sounds a lot like yours, even though the potency and mg were the same. Very odd. I've just stuck with the dosage I started with because it seems to be working at that amount. I think the best you can do is read a lot and educate yourself and then make a decision for yourself. My doula said my 1600mg a day sounds about right. She was surprised at how much EPO I'm taking though.
#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
When I take Vitex, I take 3 ml a day. And I've never found a clear cut answer about the twin issue another, another one that i've also heard is that it increases the chance of a girl.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

how much epo are you taking? I am taking 1/2 a teaspoon, which I think is 2000 units (mg?) the dosage was between 1500-3000, and 500 = 1/8 of a teaspoon. I don't like that supplement dosage is so inconsistent. It makes me nervous!
#7 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueRhino View Post
how much epo are you taking? I am taking 1/2 a teaspoon, which I think is 2000 units (mg?) the dosage was between 1500-3000, and 500 = 1/8 of a teaspoon. I don't like that supplement dosage is so inconsistent. It makes me nervous!
Mine is in pill form. The recommended dosage on the bottle says 4 capsules and it's the brand recommended by the supplement expert at my local health food store. That's 5200mg. I did research to make sure that much was ok and the info I found online said up to 6000mg. My doula said she was surprised over 3000 was recommended. I'm just now starting to show some increase in EWCM though and I haven't had any adverse effects so I'm not concerned yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page