Still no AF....hmmmmm....I'm confused! HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here we go again! I was two weeks late last month and then AF made an appearance, but the weird thing was no cramping at all, which I ALWAYS have. I was supposed to get AF on 12/16 and it came on 12/29.

So now here I am again, one month later, I was supposed to see something by 1/31 and still nothing. I had cramping on Thursday, 2/7, but still nothing. I'm wondering if I should test? I tested back in December when I was later and it was BFN. Sooo now I'm VERY confused. I have had a 32 day cycle for over 6 months now, what the heck?!

7/09 at 7 weeks - love you peanut
#2 of 17 Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 PM

Cycles can vary from month to montha nd it doesn't mean anything is wrong. A 32 day cycle in within normal range. Temping is the only way to know for sure if and when you Oed. If you have been haveing 32 day cycles then maybe wait till day 33 to take a HPT. Good Luck!!
#3 of 17 Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamr3211 View Post
Cycles can vary from month to montha nd it doesn't mean anything is wrong. A 32 day cycle in within normal range. Temping is the only way to know for sure if and when you Oed. If you have been haveing 32 day cycles then maybe wait till day 33 to take a HPT. Good Luck!!
I know that a 32 day cycle is within normal range, the problem is that last month I had a 47 day cycle and this month so far is a 40 day cycle. What would cause both months to be this late? Could I have o'ed as late as day 30? It's just soooo weird to have 6 months of 32 day cycles and then have these two months be like this...

#4 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 AM

Hi Longhorn,

I'm sure you've probably answered these questions elsewhere, but humor me . Do you have a chart to look at (i.e.: have you been tracking your basal body temperatures)? The reason I ask is, your period can only be "due" if you are actually ovulating. Lemme 'splain (although it might all be stuff you already know)...

I have somewhat irregular periods. Usually they are 28-32 days long, but I have had a few that were closer to 40 days long. Since I've been tracking my BBT, though, I can tell you that in my case, what varies is the period of time leading up to ovulation (Follicular Phase or FP) and not so much the period of time between when I ovulate and when my period arrives (Luteal Phase or LP). This is true for a lot of women because the corpus luteum (what is left of the follicle after it releases the egg and what secretes progesterone) only lasts up to about a max of 16 days if you are not pregnant (according to TCOYF). Once the corpus luteum stops functioning, the progesterone level drops, and AF begins. In my case, my LP is almost always 12 days-- if you want, you can take a look at my chart (by clicking the chart icon in my signature) and scroll through and see what it looks like for there to be varying FP lengths. In the cycle starting 7/23/07, which I named "The Neverending Cycle," I didn't O until CD28-- so to answer your question, yes, you can ovulate as late (or later!) than CD30.

So, what I'm wondering here, is are you tracking your BBT (OPKs or the CBEFM are okay, but they can only tell you that you are likely to ovulate, the rise in body temperature confirms that you in fact have)? Because you may be having very long FPs, but if you're ovulating (even though it's taking longer) you might be having regular LPs-- but you think your period is "late" because you actually ovulated a little or a lot later than you think you did.

If you are tracking your BBT and it appears that you are ovulating at your normal time and are actually having unusually long LPs (like 19+ days) and you're not pregnant, then I'm not sure what to tell you-- a google search didn't pull up much helpful information, maybe someone here has experience with it.

The third option is that you're not ovulating-- hopefully, this is not the case. You said you had six months of 32 day cycles and are now on your second long cycle? If that's right, then I kind of have two lines of thought-- one, it's normal to have occasional wonky cycles, wait until your next cycle and see if your body gets back on track. Or two, it might not hurt to make an appointment with an OB to discuss your long cycles and concerns.

If you have a chart you don't mind me looking at, if you post (or PM me) a link, I'll take a look and see what my thoughts are based on looking at that if you'd like.

Good luck !
#5 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
Hi Longhorn,

I'm sure you've probably answered these questions elsewhere, but humor me . Do you have a chart to look at (i.e.: have you been tracking your basal body temperatures)? The reason I ask is, your period can only be "due" if you are actually ovulating. Lemme 'splain (although it might all be stuff you already know)...

I have somewhat irregular periods. Usually they are 28-32 days long, but I have had a few that were closer to 40 days long. Since I've been tracking my BBT, though, I can tell you that in my case, what varies is the period of time leading up to ovulation (Follicular Phase or FP) and not so much the period of time between when I ovulate and when my period arrives (Luteal Phase or LP). This is true for a lot of women because the corpus luteum (what is left of the follicle after is releases the egg and what secretes progesterone) only lasts up to about a max of 16 days if you are not pregnant (according to TCOYF). Once the corpus luteum stops functioning, the progesterone level drops, and AF begins. In my case, my LP is almost always 12 days-- if you want, you can take a look at my chart (by clicking the chart icon in my signature) and scroll through and see what it looks like for there to by varying FP lengths. In the cycle starting 7/23/07, which I named "The Neverending Cycle," I didn't O until CD28-- so to answer your question, yes, you can ovulate as late (or later!) than CD30.

So, what I'm wondering here, is are you tracking your BBT (OPKs or the CBEFM are okay, but they can only tell you that you are likely to ovulate, the rise in body temperature confirms that you in fact have)? Because you may be having very long FPs, but if you're ovulating (even though it's taking longer) you might be having regular LPs-- but you think your period is "late" because you actually ovulated a little or a lot later than you think you did.

If you are tracking your BBT and it appears that you are ovulating at your normal time and are actually having unusually long LPs (like 19+ days) and you're not pregnant, then I'm not sure what to tell you-- a google search didn't pull up much helpful information, maybe someone here has experience with it.

The third option is that you're not ovulating-- hopefully, this is not the case. You said you had six months of 32 day cycles and are now on your second long cycle? If that's right, then I kind of have two lines of thought-- one, it's normal to have occasional wonky cycles, wait until your next cycle and see if your body gets back on track. Or two, it might not hurt to make an appointment with an OB to discuss your long cycles and concerns.

If you have a chart you don't mind me looking at, if you post (or PM me) a link, I'll take a look and see what my thoughts are based on looking at that if you'd like.

Good luck !
Wow! That is one informative answer! Thank you so very much!

Now, to answer your questions! Unfortunately, I do not chart. I wish I did, especially during a time like this, . My initial thought after reading your message is that I did ovulate, but just very late in my cycle. I really have no evidence though to back this up, it just seems right. I say this because it seems unlike me to just not ovulate...then again no body is perfect and my body could have slipped up two months in a row and not ovulated, I suppose. I have read that its normal to have cycles where you don't ovulate, but again, the fact that this has happened two cycles in a row makes me that much more suspicious. There is a chance I could be pregnant as well, but that doesn't seem as likely as simply ovulating late. I say that because I tested last month when I was late and it was negative. Thats another reason I am thinking its something else other than pregnancy. Goodness, this is frustrating!

Any additional thoughts?!

#6 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 AM

mischievium gave you great info
the only thing i would add is a question that even if you dont chart temps do you normal notice other signs like you cervical fluid? would you remember when and if you had EWCM? although it is not proof of ovulation (just getting ready too) it does give some other clues, some women that are having a random non ovulary cycle will notice more than one patch of it thru-out the long cycle, that is a sign your body may have tried more than once without success.

if you did have two non O cycles it might not as surprising, since it was around the holidays, did you travel or have family stress?

nothing beats charting, sooo wish i started it a long long time ago way before i was TTC

and besides the lack of cramps was the af you had last cycle normal? length of time you bleed, different spotting, color?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka  View Post
mischievium gave you great info
the only thing i would add is a question that even if you dont chart temps do you normal notice other signs like you cervical fluid? would you remember when and if you had EWCM? although it is not proof of ovulation (just getting ready too) it does give some other clues, some women that are having a random non ovulary cycle will notice more than one patch of it thru-out the long cycle, that is a sign your body may have tried more than once without success.

if you did have two non O cycles it might not as surprising, since it was around the holidays, did you travel or have family stress?

nothing beats charting, sooo wish i started it a long long time ago way before i was TTC

and besides the lack of cramps was the af you had last cycle normal? length of time you bleed, different spotting, color?
Thanks for the feedback! Well I did start a new job back in November, in fact the reason I know when I had my last 'normal' period is because it started the day I interviewed. But I dont think I've been unusually stressed?

I normally get EWCM after I ovulate, or atleast in the second half of my cycle. I didnt see EWCM until about a week ago. I had it for a few days but now that I think about it I havent seen it much in the past day or two.

My last cycle, other than no cramping, did seem a bit light. Any particular reason why you ask?

Again, I cant rule out pregnancy, but I'm doubtful.

#8 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 AM

you should be getting ewcm before not after you O, things dry up right after you O or are you talking about way after, some ladies get small patches later in their LP due to falling Progesterone leading up to AF
so you may really be O'ing later than you thought

i asked about the quality of AF since if it was break thru bleeding (what the call it at the end on a anovulatory cycle) as opposed to a true AF (that only comes after a O) it may be different, some women can notice this. some say it is lighter, or more brown or comes with more spotting less true bleeding

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#9 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka  View Post
you should be getting ewcm before not after you O, things dry up right after you O or are you talking about way after, some ladies get small patches later in their LP due to falling Progesterone leading up to AF
so you may really be O'ing later than you thought

i asked about the quality of AF since if it was break thru bleeding (what the call it at the end on a anovulatory cycle) as opposed to a true AF (that only comes after a O) it may be different, some women can notice this. some say it is lighter, or more brown or comes with more spotting less true bleeding
For me, I get EWCM leading up to my period. The thing is I've had it for awhile now with still no AF. I don't see much of it prior to ovulating, but I read that not every woman gets EWCM before ovulating. Or if I do its not as noticable as when I have it before AF.

I understand the concept of O'ing late, but this is breeching the boundaries of a 'normal period' and it concerns/confuses me! And two cycles in a row? I'm buying a basal thermometer today!

#10 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 02:46 PM

You mentioned POAS back in December. Have you done it this cycle? Do you have any handy? I tend to be too quick to POAS, but since you're all out of whack, who knows? You are TTC, after all.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#11 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
You mentioned POAS back in December. Have you done it this cycle? Do you have any handy? I tend to be too quick to POAS, but since you're all out of whack, who knows? You are TTC, after all.
Well we haven't officially started to TTC. We're waiting until May. There is a small chance I could be pregnant (we used the 'pull-out method' on 3 or 4 occasions this month), but since I POAS last month and it was BFN, that is why I am so quick to rule it out. Another reason being that this month's events seem to mimic lasts months, which makes me think if I POAS I'd get the same result.

I know a lot of this seems like I'm doing to run around, but it helps so much to just talk it out and get feedback! Thanks to all for giving me peace of mind and keep the feedback coming! I'm so new to 'issues' down there, if you will.

#12 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 PM

I get it now, sorry. I was going by your sig and assumed you were already actively trying. I see two possible scenarios:

1. This cycle is mimicking your previous cycle, for whatever reason. Both extra-long and etc.

2. Last cycle was an anomaly, this cycle you may be PG.

If it makes you feel any better, my cycles are all screwy recently too!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#13 of 17 Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
I get it now, sorry. I was going by your sig and assumed you were already actively trying. I see two possible scenarios:

1. This cycle is mimicking your previous cycle, for whatever reason. Both extra-long and etc.

2. Last cycle was an anomaly, this cycle you may be PG.

If it makes you feel any better, my cycles are all screwy recently too!
It does make me feel better! Thanks!

I was on the pill for so long (5 years) that I was so used to a perfect cycle! Like clock work every 28 days! Now that I've been off it seems my natural cycle is 32, which is what it was back in high school when I wasn't on the pill. So these little hiccups if you will, always confuse me!

I suppose I will POAS if I don't get it by the end of the week...but I'm growing increasingly impatient! Option 1 seems odd to me...why two funky cycles in a row? Option 2 seems doesn't seem likely either...but then again what do I know! I certainly don't 'feel' pregnant.

#14 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 04:36 AM

Hi

Please POAS goodluck
#15 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by folaboye View Post
Hi

Please POAS goodluck

I just REALLY think this is a stretch...but I suppose I can try and swing by Walgreens on my lunch break!

I love being a woman, but HATE all the technicalities of it!

Anyone else have any thoughts!? I'm open to suggestions!!!

#16 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I took a test, BFN....hmmmmmm

#17 of 17 Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 AM

i vote to just wait a few more days before getting too concerned, two strange cycles is not unheard of. i fully understand it sucks.

(this coming from a girl that is finally about to come to the end of a hopefully less than 100 day cycle that is being stopped by force, sometimes you just have too)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page