Vitex: pill, tea, drops? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to start TTC soon, but I don't have my cycles back. I'm trying to get my cycles back with vitex (I'm 2 years pp). I've been drinking vitex tea 2-3 times a day for two months now. Other than making me extremely irritable for the first few weeks, and perhaps have a bit more cervical fluid, nothing is happening. So I'm wondering if it would be more effective for me to take vitex in a different form. Any vitex experts out there?

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#2 of 7 Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The most absorbed form of vitex is the tinctures. It should be taken right upon waking in the am because that is when those hormones are most active. My herbalist had me on 3mls a day. I induced AF back with vitex when DD1 was 2.5y old, then later upped my dose to be able to get pg. Good luck!

ETA: vitex is a slow acting herb, it is not uncommon for it to take 2-3 months to notice anything. It took me between 2-3m using the tincture to induce AF back.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 7 Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM

I agree that the tincture is the way to go. I use it lengthen a very short LP and just to help balance progesterone and estrogen. I take it first thing in the morning with a little bitsy of water and I saw results the first cycle I took it. This is my 3rd cycle on it and I'm still seeing positive effects. I could tell immediately htat it was doing something for me because my mood swings chilled out within a week of taking it. But I agree with pp that it can months to show it's full effect.

Good luck to you!
#4 of 7 Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM

I'm not an expert, but I would recommend the pills. The doseage can be better regulated and you don't have to taste it!

I also find the pills to be less expensive.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#5 of 7 Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 AM

I'm lurking here. Any recommendations on brands? I'm considering Fertility Blend and FertiliAid.

mom to DD 3/09
#6 of 7 Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM

I had my 1st PP cylce at 27 mos pp, so don't give up hope yet!!

From most herbalists perspectives that I've read, teas are just flavoured water unless the herb steeps for over an hour. Tinctures are more like concentrated, thus they are more effective. However most will contain alcohol, so if that is a problem, go the dried (pill) route.

My Naturalpath told me to take 30 drops of tincture a day in a glass of water. I'm not sure how many ml that is. She said that if the taste really bothered me that the pill was also available.

From what I hear, the pills and the tinctures are all available in different strengths so read the label for recomended dosages. As for brand, I got mine from my NP, so I can't tell you what's good and what's not. Just use common sense and buy from a name your trust. You want to put good quality herbs in your body, not alot of junk!

Keep in mind that it is a slow working herb....personally I prefer this over the "quick fixes" of modern medicine as it is easier for my body to handle.

Michele
#7 of 7 Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 PM

i am definitely no expert - but I started taking vitex in pill form (I bought from drugstore.com) a few months ago. I got my first post-partum period about 2 1/2 weeks after starting it. Since, my periods have been pretty regular (30 days), but I'm o'ing really late, so have a very short LP (6-7 days). Still :bfn: - but at least I'm ovulating, right?

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page