TTC with MACA Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 207 Old 03-28-2008, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to let you all know that I got my powdered maca yesterday and tried it in a smoothie (banana, berries, yogurt and orange juice) and it was pretty gross. This morning I decided since it was going to be gross I'd just stir it into some OJ and down it really fast...and it wasn't bad at all. So I guess everyone has a different preferred method of ingestion. And I keep saying to dh, if this results in a baby I'll happily gulp down orange juice while holding my nose closed.
I'm waiting to O now and I do think I'll take it during my 2ww as well, although I'm not sure what the other ladies are planning on doing. Welcome Reina28!

I'm loving life with my DH and DS (2/28/10) and expecting the surprise of my life in September! belly.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif

#122 of 207 Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 PM

I actually made a smoothie tonight that I think works with the Maca taste. It was vanilla frozen yogurt, milk, a banana, peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, cocoa powder and vanilla. It's not bad at all. You can taste the Maca, but it doesn't taste bad. It actually tastes pleasant. The problem with making this every day is it is SO RICH and heavy. I couldn't drink the whole thing. Dang!

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#123 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Ok.... I'm going with my feelings on this...

If I kept my chart all together no lines showed up because of the drastic-ness at the begining I'm sure... because if you take just where the temps started stabilizing from when I started the Maca and Vitex... it's a NORMAL chart!!!!!

So I sort of cheated and put in Light menses on the 17th when I started the meds so I got a new chart... and I got SOLID crosshairs.

I'm going with it for now. I honestly truly beleive I did ovulate that day, the way the temps changed and the way my CM changed.

I'm putting myself on the 2WW... DP is esctatic and even came to look at my chart this morning when I inputted the info. hehe

As to the question earlier... Take the Maca through out the cycle. It's a root (vegetable) it does not contain hormones and is safe to take through out. It helps with more than just fertility issues. It helps the entire endocrine system, helping with energy and such too.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#124 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 AM

Wow JSMa, your chart looks great. And your BDing looks very well timed. Happy 2WW!

I'm loving life with my DH and DS (2/28/10) and expecting the surprise of my life in September! belly.gif

#125 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 AM

JSMA- OMG your chart is looking fabulous! This could be your month! Last night I saw my GF who hasn't had a period in about 8 months (PCOS) and she is pregnant. NATURALLY. weird huh?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#126 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 12:06 PM

: Well, Wild Oats didn't have it so off to check my local health food store, they have quite a bit. Hopefully I can buy it locally without ordering...but if not I will order today.

JSMa- GOOD LUCK! Your chart does look awesome!
#127 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 01:15 PM

My maca finally arrived yesterday and I just had my first dose. I'm so excited! I'm going to start with 3-4 capsules (1500-2000mg) of the Navitas Naturals brand. Aside from fertility, I'm anxious to see what it does to my energy levels....I've been so slumpish lately.

But what I don't understand is why the serving size of the powder is 5 grams and the serving size of the capsules is 1500 milligrams (1.5 grams), according to their packaging. I believe in that human study (the one from Italy), their dosage was very small, like 300 mg, but it was somehow administered so it got absorbed quickly. Any thoughts on this?
#128 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 02:26 PM

:

Just found this thread. What a happy coincidence, since I started taking maca myself on March 14th. I originally ordered it b/c I felt my thyroid was out of whack and might be affecting my fertility. Subsequent testing has shown all my levels to be normal, yet I still have most all the symptoms of hypothyroid. : I'm also dealing w/high blood pressure, which might have been causing some of the extreme fatigue stuff. I'm now on meds for that.

So...I'm taking capsules of organic maca made by Whole World Botanicals. I did a fair amount of reading on their website before ordering and was very impressed with their business practices. I'm taking 2 capsules a day, which is 1000 mg. Perhaps it's not enough, based on what you all are doing? I think I'll stick with that dosage through the rest of this cycle before upping it or switching. The capsules aren't all that difficult to get down, but they do smell strongly of beets, IMO. Guess it's a good thing I like beets!

I started it on CD4. Since my period returned at around 15 mos. pp, my cycles have been much shorter than usual, averaging around 25 days, and my periods have been lasting longer (around 9 days, yuck!) and are much heavier. I also have horrible PMS symptoms preceding my period every month, so I am also hoping the maca might be able to help with that.

I got a +OPK on CD11, which is around when I think I've been O'ing on this crazy-short 25-day cycle. Now I'm on CD19, ~7DPO????, and I'm just waiting to test in a few days.

What I've noticed that is different since I started on the maca:

* I have more energy and my moods have stabilized, I'm not so irritable and up-and-down

* My libido is significantly increased. I have had little to no sex drive for months now, but this month, va-va-voom!

I am just now getting to that point in my cycles where I start to get very PMS'y, so I'm interested to see if it will be any better this month.

It's great to find you all and share the journey with you!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#129 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 04:29 PM

Guinevere Welcome, & yes...please let us know if your PMS is better. it will be such a blessing if it helps that too!!!! Goog Luck with everything
#130 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 05:27 PM

This is a very interesting thread. I saw Maca at WalMart the other day too so I will check it when I am there again.
What I wonder is if you can encapsulate the maca pawder yourself? I have the gel caps an the encapsulator. I am not sur eI coudl gag it down. Maybe in jsut a small bit of OJ I am better with yucky stuff quickly than in a whole smoothie.
So once you get your BFP do you continue to take the Maca?

Looking to join you all....soon

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#131 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massaginmommy View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I saw Maca at WalMart the other day too so I will check it when I am there again.
What I wonder is if you can encapsulate the maca pawder yourself? I have the gel caps an the encapsulator. I am not sur eI coudl gag it down. Maybe in jsut a small bit of OJ I am better with yucky stuff quickly than in a whole smoothie.
So once you get your BFP do you continue to take the Maca?

Looking to join you all....soon
Yes to both, measure out your 2 TBS & put it in your capsules. That way you know exactly how many you need every day. I believe it it around 20-30 pills(dependind on capsule size & if you use raw maca or gelatinized)
Yes take it after your BFP too. read the info, women use it during pregnancy to sustain their pregnancies & to help with a better birth weight.
there is info @ begining of this thread and HERE:
http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=169

more info here...& MANY sucess stories & (((recipes:Page 2)))
http://forums.ovusoft.com/tm.asp?m=6...heck=705250567

Here you can buy maca, capules, & the tools to fill the capsules:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/m.html
#132 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 06:44 PM

Welcome Guinevere and massaginmommy (soon)!

I wonder if anyone has noticed maca decreasing the length of time before you o? Yesterday (CD10) I had a very watery vaginal sensation and this morning ewcm! Yesterday because of the watery feeling I took an opk: negative...but then today (CD11) I got a positive! This is only my second month charting but I have had relatively consistant 28-30-day cycles. Even if I O tomorrow, on CD12, that'll be one short cycle for me. Not that I'm complaining...just wondering if this is maca or just my body playing even more tricks with me. At least I'll probably be able to jump into the early april 2ww!

#133 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Argh, my fertility monitor isn't asking for any more test sticks so I don't know what my level would have been today. I'm on day 26 and it's flashing 'm' at me which means it assumes I'll be getting AF soon. Ha! So, long cycles definitely don't work with it. That's annoying, especially since I'm starting to get some watery-seeming CM. I'm just going to start on the rest of my OPKs now!

JSMa, I'm so excited about your solid cross hairs!

Welcome Guinevere!
#134 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Well the local store had the Navita Naturals raw maca so I started taking it tonight.

It was nasty but I have great willpower. However, my dh wasn't so sure after he saw the face I made. Hopefully he's still in it with me and I will keep it up!

So i have officially joined!
#135 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just popped on to say that I love how maca tastes I like to eat it in its dry powdery form :

However, try mixing it with grapefruit juice. I may be biased cause I love maca, but the mix is pretty decent and grapefruits have a pretty strong flavour.

Decluttering 500/2010
#136 of 207 Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 PM

Hi, just ordered maca today, so I am joinging the group I guess! I am hoping it will help me strighten out my homones and in turn help me shed my thickend endometrial lining (see post for more http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=872721) I have already made up my mind that even if it taste like butt it has to be better then bleeding everyday of my life! Cant wait to get it, good luck and baby dust everyone!
#137 of 207 Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Alice, how many days have you been taking the Maca now?

Thanks everyone! I just hope the crosshairs are for real since I did the split chart thing.... it felt like the right thing to do though... today my temp was really high, but I slept like crap and woke up a lot, then DSD came in at 3:30 am!! so I didn't have a solid 3 hours of sleep before temping... Will see how tomorrow goes.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#138 of 207 Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Wanalil_bean/Gretchen: 1 Tbsp/day since March 17
#139 of 207 Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM

is gelatanized bad??? I am trying to order it online as I went to the Local store and all I could find was Wild Yam! hahaha

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#140 of 207 Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 PM

I am sooooo very excited to find this site!! I have always thought I was on my TTC natural journey by myself. I have been taking Maca since Feb 29. Started with the liquid (80 drops/day) and it made a huge difference in my cycle. Have ordered the powder and now take 1 Tbsp. in the morning. I like the powder much better than the liquid, I feel like I am getting more benefits from it, but it all probably works the same! I also have the 500mg capsules that I take at night only a few times a week. DH is taking the (what we call "Shakes" !!) 1 Tbsp. Maca powder in 8oz. of Orange,Pineapple and Banana juice. I have shakers that have a nozle lid so I do not have to smell it as I chug. It does taste pretty gross in the beginning but you get use to it! DH is a trooper though he just gulps it down and dosent even blink!!!

Sorry so long, but I send tons of baby dust to all of you and hopefully successful 2WW's!!!
#141 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 AM

I picked up the maca from WalMart today they are 1000mg pills. I gave one to Dh with his vitamins and took one myself as well. I am planning to take them twice a day. I will post on how things go.

massaginmommy/Laurie:1000 mg tablet twice a day since March 30

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#142 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Updated to here!

JSMa, I've been taking it for 1 week, but missed 2 days.

Wanalil_bean
- :
#143 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Lauren31 - nope, nothing wrong with the gelatinized! It might help you get it down easier.
#144 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 AM

I live in Israel and had NO idea where to find Maca here. I asked at the local health food store and they had no idea what it is!!

Just wanted to say that I ended up ordering it from eBay of all places b/c that's the only way I could figure out how to get it here without paying a huge amount on shipping rates. I ordered 1 lb.

So encouraging to read others' experiences!

We've been TTC for #3 since Aug.
#145 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM

Alice, can you please put my start date as of 3/29?

Has anyone else noticed that they are less hungry after drinking the Maca? I am enjoying this unexpected side effect! I am also finding it easier to get down although my DH has not braved it yet. But I think I need it more than him so I am not too concerned...
#146 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM

Reina28, I have noticed it is very filling for me, and I don't do shakes. I just mix it with flavored OJ.

I hope your cycle starts behaving soon Alice!

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#147 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 PM

Another question:

Do any of you ladies believe Maca is making you O earlier? If so, how long were you taking it before you noticed that effect? I am thinking I might want to start OPK testing a little bit in advance to prepare for that eventuality but wanted to get some input...
#148 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reina28 View Post
Another question:

Do any of you ladies believe Maca is making you O earlier? If so, how long were you taking it before you noticed that effect? I am thinking I might want to start OPK testing a little bit in advance to prepare for that eventuality but wanted to get some input...
Maybe. I'm in my first real cycle since DS was born 27 months ago. I o'd earlier than ever before at 23 dpo but I don't have enough cycles to say whether it's from the Maca. And besides, I'm not taking a ton of it. I've been taking it since a few weeks before my FPPAF.

Good luck!
#149 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reina28 View Post
Another question:

This is my first month taking maca, since CD2, and I o'd yesterday on CD12. This is only my second month charting, so I can't say for sure, but this will be an approximately 26-day cycle (or a BFP, *fingers crossed*) which is shorter than my usual 28-30 day cycle and the only thing I'm doing differently this cycle is taking maca. Also, I started with an OPK on CD10 because I was feeling very wet and had EWCM, which surprised me so early on, but it was negative. Then, on CD 11 I took another OPK in the afternoon, after holding my pee for 4 hours (ouch), and I had a really dark positive line, darker than ever before. I would say start with your OPK if you're feeling like you might be Oing soon.
I'm finding this experiment to be fascinating and I'm really hopeful that we'll start seeing a lot of BFPs.

#150 of 207 Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 PM

After reading that insanely long thread on ovusoft last night I finally pulled my bookmark back up and bought a pound of the powder. I should get it in the next 5 days. I'm 2dpo right now so I'll probably just start taking it next cycle. I'm going to get DH to take it too since we know he has lower #s than he should at 21.

So add me --Rochelle and Matt - 2tbpsn/day - Starting April 13th-ish

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page