May TTC w/ Maca - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 264 Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukilove View Post
hi mama rana! i would suggest taking a higher dose (maybe 3-5 tbsp of powdered maca a day) for about a week and see if that does the trick. also, other things could be the cause of low libido such as diet, stress, and amount of exercise, etc. i know when i started meditating and doing kundalini yoga i saw great improvement in my libido. now with maca- it's even greater. i feel the difference the same day i take it. maybe a few hours later.... and i'm most amorous. then i connect the dots! it was the maca. maybe it's just my imagination... but my husband loves what i think it does. he takes it too and has noticed an increased sex drive as well.
A higher dose, really? 1T=10g, so 5T would be 50 grams or 50,000 milligrams. Are people really take that much? This is the brand I'm taking: http://www.vitacost.com/Navitas-Natu...F-858847000512, which I got at my health food store.
#122 of 264 Old 05-22-2008, 09:53 PM

LibraryMo- I bought the liquid form which was the only one my healthfood store had, but I've ordered some already. Can I start taking the one I have now, or should I wait till my next cycle if I'm not pregnant? I am like 3DPO. And is it safe to take while you're pregnant? If anyone else also knows the answer to this plz let me know. Thanks

Sending to all
#123 of 264 Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
A higher dose, really? 1T=10g, so 5T would be 50 grams or 50,000 milligrams. Are people really take that much? This is the brand I'm taking: http://www.vitacost.com/Navitas-Natu...F-858847000512, which I got at my health food store.
i'm also taking navitas brand of maca. i don't know about anyone here- but some days i do take up to 5 or even 6 tbsp. i read you can't overdose on maca- (though if you can- i doubt 3-5 tbsp would be an od) but maybe it won't be the tastiest thing in the world.
#124 of 264 Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 PM

suki - whats your favorite way to mix it up?? I think my recipe is too fattening and I'm trying to lose weight.
#125 of 264 Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 PM

I would try to just mix it with water and do it like a shot. NO SIPPING.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#126 of 264 Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I would try to just mix it with water and do it like a shot. NO SIPPING.
I thought I was the only one who took it like that!

Can I please be added to this thread as well? I've been taking Maca for about a month now, and have ovulated for the first time in months! I don't know if it's the Maca, but it obviously hasn't hurt!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#127 of 264 Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennRN TTC#1 View Post
suki - whats your favorite way to mix it up?? I think my recipe is too fattening and I'm trying to lose weight.
i'm not sure if mine is too fattening- i do use nuts. you can try a handful or so of cashews, or a few brazil nuts, water, cocoa powder and preferred sweetner (i use agave nectar) and that should be yummy.

i do variations but mostly always use nuts. you can try it with only fruit (banana and frozen strawberries maybe) and a bit of water too... though maca does taste best with nuts, i think.

hehe! mixing it with just water (as carlin & lauren do) and drinking it fast may do the trick too. definitely not fattening that way and it's a quick way to just get it over with. i'm not sure i'm that brave!
#128 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Hi,
Can you add me? I started taking Maca 1500 mgs(capsules) and vitex 1600 mgs yesterday. I am hoping it will bring on my first PP AF . I am 16 months postpartum. Do you think it will help even though my DS still nurses very frequently day and night? It is rare for him to go 4 hours without nursing during the day or 6 at night. I am so anxious to conceive again. I dont think I have ovulated at all though I have had EWCM building up off and on. I think my body is gearing up but isn't quite getting over the threshold needed to ovulate because of the frequent nursing. I haven't actually charted before though I am going to start once I go get a thermometer. I have been watching my CM and Cervical Position. I am encouraged by all of the success stories on here!
#129 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Welcome, Ish'smom. I take 1800 mgs in capsule form. DS is 18 mos and nursing, too. I'm in the 2ww of my second cycle.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#130 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM

for those who mix it in water, do you still put it in a blender?? its gets all clumpy if you try to mix with a spoon. should I get one of those electric hand mixers that fits into a glass??
#131 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM

I mix mine with water and about 2 oz of OJ. It's still gross (and thick) but I can get it down in about 5 swallows.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#132 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 AM

You water mixers are all so brave! I'm with suki, calories be damned, I gotta have mine in a smoothie. And she's right about the nuts (or nut butter is good too). Making the smoothies and cleaning the blender has gotten a lot easier now that I'm used to it. I used to take the blender apart and clean every piece, but now I just fill it with hot, soapy water and blend on high. Duh! I have no idea why I didn't do that earlier.

Mommytobe, I've heard it's safe and even beneficial to continue maca in your pregnancy, but I don't know why. Since maca is a food (doesn't disrupt hormones but helps body regulate them on its own, you can't take too much) I think it might be like asking "Can I keep eating radishes during my pregnancy?"
#133 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM

I take my maca in capsule form, but a while back I was on a cleanse that was a powder. I found a little handheld milk foamer at Ikea for $3. It worked great.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#134 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 PM

I just use a spoon, but stir really well. I use about a 3/4 cups of water for each tablespoon of Maca. If you put the maca in the water instead of the other way around, it mixes better. Keep in mind though, that I sort of like cold, black coffee, so my sense of taste is suspect at best.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#135 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLady View Post
You water mixers are all so brave! I'm with suki, calories be damned, I gotta have mine in a smoothie. And she's right about the nuts (or nut butter is good too). Making the smoothies and cleaning the blender has gotten a lot easier now that I'm used to it. I used to take the blender apart and clean every piece, but now I just fill it with hot, soapy water and blend on high. Duh! I have no idea why I didn't do that earlier.

Mommytobe, I've heard it's safe and even beneficial to continue maca in your pregnancy, but I don't know why. Since maca is a food (doesn't disrupt hormones but helps body regulate them on its own, you can't take too much) I think it might be like asking "Can I keep eating radishes during my pregnancy?"
Thanks Doglady
#136 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Carlin, the mention of coffee lit up a little lightbulb in my head, and I totally had a Maca Breakthrough (TM). It's sooo easy for me to take a tablespoon stirred into a cup of plain black coffee, which I drink everyday anyway. Now, to switch to decaf, which I swear I'm going to do one of these days.
#137 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLady View Post
Carlin, the mention of coffee lit up a little lightbulb in my head, and I totally had a Maca Breakthrough (TM). It's sooo easy for me to take a tablespoon stirred into a cup of plain black coffee, which I drink everyday anyway. Now, to switch to decaf, which I swear I'm going to do one of these days.
Glad I could help
I actually took it with coffee and milk the first few days, and it was actually pretty good, but I don't do decaf, and will want to cut out coffee completely as soon as we get a bfp, so I didn't want to get in the habbit. I think the malty flavour of Maca actually complements the coffee flavour though!

#138 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
Glad I could help
I actually took it with coffee and milk the first few days, and it was actually pretty good, but I don't do decaf, and will want to cut out coffee completely as soon as we get a bfp, so I didn't want to get in the habbit. I think the malty flavour of Maca actually complements the coffee flavour though!

I sometimes make a sort of iced mocha latte using milk, instant decaf coffee, chocolate hemp protein shake mix, (sometimes ice), and of course the maca, all blended together. It's pretty good.
#139 of 264 Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM

I took my first maca today (liquid form) with water. I did about 30 drops in the water and took it like a shot. It said between 30-50 drops so I did it with 30 drops. Was it too much? I did however also order the powder form, but I'll continue to take this one until it's gone and the other one arrives. Anyway the taste wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Sending : and to everyone.
#140 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 AM

Hi I'm Tisha,

New to the thread....So i have caught up on the whole thing I couldn't stop reading Congrats To alll BFP's!!!

So about me, I am 25 and have been ttc for about 18 months but have been unprotected for 21/2 years. I was dx with pcos in aug of last year...Have tried 3 rounds of clomid and we were unsuccessful. took a brief "break" and just started back ttc, I started with soy isoflavones instead of clomid the s/e were terrible. i started taking liquid black maca about 2-3 weeks ago and dh just started taking gelitanized(sp) gold maca powder 1 week ago. We have a 7 yr old daughter that is itching for someone to boss around..lol

that is my story in a nutshell.
Has any one else heard of liquid black maca? or tried it?
Should I up my half tsp to a full tbsp? and should I take it more tah once a day ?I just take with oj now I statred on smoothies and have since gotten tired of making them ...TIA
#141 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 AM

Just wondering if anyone is having any side effects? AF arrived for me 4 days early. This was my first month of taking maca and I don't ever recall that happening before so I'm wondering if the maca caused it?? I'm a little freaked so I'm thinking I'm going to take a break from it for next month. Also, DH thinks it's negatively affecting his sleep so he's off of it too. I had been hoping it would improve our libido but neither of us have noticed any difference.
#142 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Welcome, tishia. Glad you found us. Several years ago, there was talk that I had PCOS, and I got the tests, but then I switched insurances and never found out the results.
I don't have the same symptoms anymore, so I'm thinking I never had it??

#143 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Welcome Tisha!

By liquid black maca, do you mean that the liquid is in a small brown glass container and the liquid inside is sort of dark brownish? Anyway that's how mine looks like and I do about 30 drops in water.
#144 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Hi again,
What is 2ww? I am still a bit ignorant of TTC and charting terminology.
#145 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 PM

So I think I O'd yesterday [and of course DH has been working OT, so we didn't BD yesterday; last time was Wed.], and I started spotting today already. I really need to make an appt. with a GYN to get my progesterone checked. i was hoping the maca would help...
#146 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 10:20 PM

2ww=two week wait. The two weeks between ovulation and either your next period or hopefully, lack of next period.

#147 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 PM

I have a question for everyone that's taking maca. I got some 500mg sample capsules at a women's health expo today, and I'd like to start taking them tomorrow. Question is this - is 500mg enough to have an effect on fertility, or do I need to go higher? The instructions on the package don't really say.
#148 of 264 Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenisttc08 View Post
I have a question for everyone that's taking maca. I got some 500mg sample capsules at a women's health expo today, and I'd like to start taking them tomorrow. Question is this - is 500mg enough to have an effect on fertility, or do I need to go higher? The instructions on the package don't really say.
According to Peruvian usage you need like 3000 mg. My RE said to split bw two times daily, so take 3 in the Am and 3 in the PM. Good luck!

Lauren

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#149 of 264 Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 AM

Thanks ladies for the welcome!

desperatmommytobe_Here is the link to the site where i found my info on it
http://www.uhtco.com/ you will be able to see which one I am talking about...Is it the same as yours?
I am taking the MacaPro XP Platinium Black Maca Liquid Extract

Dh is taking MacaPro Raw Gelatinized Maca Powder

Katiedidbug_ I don't really have many symptoms of pcos only missing af...according to my old doc I have a hormone imbalance and that keep s me from ovulating and having af which is supposed to equal pcos but it doesn't make since in my case...cause those are the only symptoms.
#150 of 264 Old 05-25-2008, 01:04 PM

The reason to start on such a low dose is to introduce it to the body. We need to remember that maca is a powerful carbohydrate and when you injest too much you will notice overstimulation and insomnia.
Overstimulation in women consists of ovarian cysts, breast tenderness and hormonal headaches and pimples. (overstimulation will slow down the fertility process) That is why it is very important to start out at a lower dose, then increase as the body adjusts. I have clients that I have recomended Maca to for fertility and they have had great success with taking just 500mg twice daily. Herbs can be a wonderful thing, but too much of a good thing can be dangerous.

Here is the information that global fusion sent me on the difference between raw and gelatinized. Also if you get a chance check out there site.

Both Macas are quite good choices. The “spirit” of the root though is preserved when it is not processed. Therefore, raw maca has all the nutrients, minerals, enzymes, hormones, fiber vitamins and general nutrients that the root possesses in a natural state.

Gelatinized Maca undergoes a fast warming or heating process of high temperatures about 120 degrees in order to kill germs, bacteria and any other harmful elements that can get into the body by ingestion and harm it. This process does not remove fiber and most of the components are preserved intact.

In comparison to raw Maca, Gelatinized Maca is more concentrated (i.e. glucosinolate extract). Also, during the process of gelatinization long starch chains break down making it more digestible for the human body which provides a better assimilation of nutrients.

To have a better understanding of the production process of Maca we cordially invite you to watch the video provided by the Peruvian Nature, one of our partners in Peru:

http://www.globalfusion.us/South-Gar...nts-sp-46.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page