Vegans TTC SPRING Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome back vegan ttcers and pregnant vegans! and hi to all new participants.
anybody is welcome to join and chat with us about ttc and the particular challenges (and joys!) of being vegan in this world. :

the old thread that had gotten pretty long is here

hh2.gif

#2 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

veganmama, at least you can see you ovulated. sorry your temps do not seem to fit your usual pattern, but it's maybe not necessarily a bad thing? maybe changes indicate pregnancy? I'm not sure if that is even possible

we went swimming for 40 mins yesterday and yes, I have sore muscles. It was worth it though. other than that I feel nothing at all. it's frustrating.

veganf, I tried to invite you over but your message box is full.

hh2.gif

#3 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the invite, oceane!

I am having a bad week, and I'm feeling really selfish about it. We have to buy our house. (Doesn't that sound funny?) It's on land contract, and they want it paid off, so we have to finance it traditionally. Might not be a big deal, except I don't like living here, and we were planning to move in a few months, and now we're going to be stuck here for awhile. But the thing that really sucks about it is that we (ie, my husband) decided to wait until next month to begin TTC. It's a money issue, and I realize that since we have to close this month, things will be tight, but I'm still really disappointed, and he's upset because he doesn't understand why "30 more days is such a big deal." He's happy to be off the land contract, and happy about our financing terms, and apparently clueless that it's possible to be both happy about those things and still disappointed about waiting another month. And it's really not about the month, it's about yet another TTC-related disappointment. I was emotionally all set not to have another child for the last year and a half. I was fine, and focusing on other things. He's the one who came to me and insisted we needed to try "this last thing." And I didn't want to get emotionally involved in TTC again, but of course, that's unavoidable, and now he doesn't understand why waiting even thirty days is disappointing.

Argh. Anyway. I'm trying to look on the bright side and see that one more month of charting will help with the right timing, but I doubt this month will be normal since we'll be getting the house ready for appraisal and that'll be a pretty stressful. But enough whining.
#4 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry you're having a rough day! but that would suck, having to stay there and pay so much money for a place you don't love.
I'm even more sorry about the TTC disappointment because waiting waiting waiting is rough.

hh2.gif

#5 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 AM

oceane, thanks for the invitation!

vegamanda, waiting can be the hardest part about ttc. i'm sorry you are frustrated by it.

i'm over here waiting : for my 12 day u/s to see if there is any follicle growth. i'm on 100mg clomid and will be doing an iui.

i started temping again this morning. sometimes when i temp, i get stressed that i will forget to temp, which them leads me to not get sleep. : so this morning from 5-6am i did not get much sleep. does this happen to anyone else? do you have any strategies for avoiding this?

happy tuesday!
#6 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 11:47 AM

snowbell, I used to stress about temping and certianly I still do a little around O time since my children often wake me up in the night! But I'm much beter now.
Good luck with your u/s!

It's so nice to see everyone.

I am 4 DPO, temps are still pretty low for me post-O though and my coverline is really low this cycle. Hmmmmmmmmm!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#7 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM

snowbell, I do the same thing re: temping. I'm getting better about it, and if I wake up anytime after 4, I just temp them and adjust. I don't fall asleep fast enough to get an accurate read if I try to wait.

I find it oddly relaxing now to temp since I have a clear pattern. It's reassuring that my body does it's own thing even when I'm not thinking about it.
#8 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks for starting the new thread, Oceane!

VegAmanda... I know how disjointed it feels to be somewhere you don't want to be, it sucks. I totally agree about the comfort of temping. There's definitely something reassuring about the pattern.

Veganmama... my fingers are crossed for you!

We were going to start ttc this month but I've decided to hold off. h and I haven't been doing so well lately and I've got to figure out whether I really want to have another child with him. Tough decision, because I definitely really want another child.

That said, however, I o'd yesterday and we weren't careful Saturday morning, thinking that I wouldn't o for another 5 days or more. So, I suppose I am technically waiting to know, although chances are low.

If I don't post much, I'm lurking. I'm writing my thesis and pretty involved, but I like to browse mdc for breaks.

Wishing all you veg mamas good luck!
#9 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm still here too! We're going on month 3, so we'll see how things pan out this month.
#10 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Oh yay, I'm so glad to see everyone "come out of the woodwork", LOL!

Vegan TTC'ers rock!

LilGreen, special hugs for you. I hated writing my thesis and that was just for my MA. Blech! Also, on the not being sure whether you want to have another DC with DH. That's tough.

Pretty sure this is not my month AGAIN! July would be better anyways work wise so I'll just be sure to practice a lot before then and let the acupunture and herbs work on my ancient eggs!

#11 of 399 Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread, Oceane!

Hello Everyone!

Vegamanda I know how you feel about waiting. I was already getting impatient a couple of months ago and I have to wait through a few more cycles until I get my benign salivary gland tumor removed next month. Anyway, I am so sick of waiting, and most of my peers IRL are all pg or enjoying their new babies. Double Argh! :

Sorry for the rant, I think the impending (and really frickin' scary) surgery is making me extra grumpy this week.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is thinking positive thoughts and creating some fertility boosting affirmations for yourselves!
#12 of 399 Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

thanks eveyone for accepting the thread and participating!

catemom, that is scary, it's annoying that you know you have to have it done but you actually have to wait for it to happen. I would freak out, too! so big right here.

lilgreen, I loved researching for my ma thesis but the act of writing was no fun. I did spend a lot of time online I hope you figure out what you really want and need and can act accordingly. It seems very smart to wait until you're sure. I wish you all the wisdom and insight you need.

snowbell even if you don't wake up on time you can adjust your time online (google temp adjuster), so maybe that helps you relax should you sleep in or wake up earlier. I understand that it's better to get a reading on time but I believe that you will still see your temp jump even if you have days that are "off". there was a time when I was stressed out about every temp that seemed different (or was, in fact, the same flat temp as every other day! ) but after a while when you see the whole picture and the whole cycle individual temps don't seem such a big deal. am I making sense???

amanda1188, good luck this month!

veganmama, we are both more pessimistic, aren't we? it's hard not to be. I am still hoping we catch the eggs earlier than July.

hh2.gif

#13 of 399 Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Actually oceane, I am a little more optimistic today. Not for this cycle (temps are very low and hugging the, already low, coverline) but in general. We've had 2 BFPs on the over 40 thread in the last week. One was through IVF and one (age 44) naturally. We did have a m/c in the last month too but overall it does seem more promising that little old (41 on Monday) me can get PG again.

And getting Pg this month or next is not great timing for me anyway.

I'm loving all the action on this thread this month!

#14 of 399 Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Hello
I'm a vegan "not mama yet" and not yet ttc. I'm not quite sure when my DP and I are going to start ttc, but I was wondering what (if anything) do you do differently foodwise? I can't say that I'm the healthiest vegan right now because I have a hectic work schedule and, consequently, don't eat as much fresh produce and home-cooked meals as I should. I was just wondering (since I'm hungry and food is on my mind! .

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

#15 of 399 Old 05-08-2008, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

welcome andee! I hope you stick around, not everyone here is ttc right now either.

I stopped drinking sodas when I first started out, and foodwise I have included more nuts and flax seed oil. other than that I eat my regular vegan fare, but we eat pretty healthy meals in general. last cycle I tried no sugar before o as advised in "The Infertility Cure" for my pattern but this time around I didn't. food is always on my mind :, that's my problem...

hh2.gif

#16 of 399 Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Welcome Andee, you could start by adding some more fruit. It's easy when you are on the go and it comes in it's own package and doesn't have to be prepared.

I'm super busy, my DH and I both work fulltime and have 2 kids but I have made eating healthy a top priority. Plus I find it next to impossible to eat out or order in as a vegan so i cook from scratch. But I alwyas alt least double whatever I am making and freeze the leftovers for another meal. It helps a lot.

Me: post-O temps still super low, I wonder what the h*ck is going on???????

#17 of 399 Old 05-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Well, events of the day have made my frustration seem pretty insignificant.

We just had some devestating news this afternoon. My cousin has IVF twins, who will be 3 on June 1st. One of them has been battling a rare form of cancer which we thought was all gone after aggressive proton radiation last fall in Boston (they live in Vancouver). Today they found out that the cancer is back, in a lymph node and incurable. He has a few months most likely.
We are very close to them despite the fact that they live 5 hours away. We raised $50K last summer for them to go to Boston and not have to worry about taking the time of work etc etc. Their daughter and my DD are best friends.
We are devastated. I cannot even imagine what particular area of hell they are going through.

Thanks for listening.

#18 of 399 Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM

Hi Andee and welcome!

I started walking my dog every day and taking prenatals six months before ttc the first time. My diet's been pretty healthy, but DH and I usually have the time to make healthy meals. The fruit idea is a good one, nuts are a nice snack to pack for break time, and you can pick up a big box of pre-made mesclun salad mix from Costco for a lot less than you pay for the equivalent in little bags in a grocery. I would in general try to eat less processed stuff and try to get a variety of nutrients, if possible. I hope that helps. Take care!
#19 of 399 Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Well, events of the day have made my frustration seem pretty insignificant.

We just had some devestating news this afternoon. My cousin has IVF twins, who will be 3 on June 1st. One of them has been battling a rare form of cancer which we thought was all gone after aggressive proton radiation last fall in Boston (they live in Vancouver). Today they found out that the cancer is back, in a lymph node and incurable. He has a few months most likely.
We are very close to them despite the fact that they live 5 hours away. We raised $50K last summer for them to go to Boston and not have to worry about taking the time of work etc etc. Their daughter and my DD are best friends.
We are devastated. I cannot even imagine what particular area of hell they are going through.

Thanks for listening.
That is horrifying. Your poor cousin--it must be horrible to watch your child that you tried so hard to have slowly slip away. It's good that your cousin has you and your family for support.
#20 of 399 Old 05-09-2008, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

veganmama I am so sorry for your cousin and your entire family. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts today.

hh2.gif

#21 of 399 Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 PM

veganmama, i'm so sorry to hear about your cousin's child. My thoughts are going out to you and your family.

oceane, thanks for the temping information. you made complete sense! it helped me to think about the bigger picture and not each individul temperature. also, the google info you gave is great! that takes away the stress of doing it at the same time everyday. by the way, do i have to use a basal body thermometer for it to be accurate? or can i use a plain ol digital one?
#22 of 399 Old 05-10-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

thanks snowbell, I'm glad I could help. I do think a basal body thermometer is better but I have no facts to back that up. I assume they are more accurate in measuring the small differences that are so important. you should get one at the pharmacy or maybe big chains for not too much, I paid 14€ (10$ I guess) for mine at a pharmacy.

hh2.gif

#23 of 399 Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Hi everyone. We told the kids that Finn's cancer is back but that is it for now. My DD will digest that and then come to us with questions I am sure. Which we will answer truthfully but I don't think it is necessary to give her more information than she is asking for at this point. We made a point of telling her she could ask any questions.

My temp absolutely nosedived, way below coverline at 8 DPO. I am afraid AF may show today or tomorrow. My LPs since the m/c have been 10 days (as opposed to my normal 14). 8 or 9 would be really scary though! What is happening?

#24 of 399 Old 05-10-2008, 07:15 PM

Hi everyone!
I saw this randomly and I'm glad I did! DH and I have a 2yo DS and we'll be TTC starting with my next cycle. I'm excited but nervous. My last pregnancy and birth were hard hard hard for me. I'm trying to relax, chill, and hope for the best.

Thanks for starting this!

Also, do you guys have vegan-friendly OBs/midwives? Or do you even talk nutrition with them?

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#25 of 399 Old 05-10-2008, 07:23 PM

veganmama719, I'm so sorry for your cousin and the rest of your family.

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#26 of 399 Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Hey ladies, I'm back from vacation. Thanks for starting a new thread oceane. It probably was about time, that old thread was getting pretty long.

Veganmama, so sorry to hear about your cousin's child. Please know that we are here to listen if you need to talk.

I didn't have access to the internet while I was gone, so I am off to update my temps on FF.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#27 of 399 Old 05-11-2008, 06:52 PM

I have not been good about taking vitamins lately and I ran out of my prenatal awhile ago. So, I wanted to get your opinions on which vitamins to get. I just ordered DEVA Vegan Omega-3 DHA and DEVA Prenatal.

What else should I take? Citrical for calcium? What about iron? That would be four daily vitamins...that seems like a lot! Or is that normal?

Just trying to be healthier. Thanks for your help!
#28 of 399 Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 PM

Hi Snowbell Sounds like you're covering the basics with supplements pretty well. Is your DH taking a multi? I've heard it's good for him to take one too. Also (not that I need to tell a vegan adult this) make sure to get all your fresh fruits and veggies in. Remember also to tell yourself that you are a young, healthy, fertile vegan woman!
#29 of 399 Old 05-11-2008, 11:42 PM

veganmama, that sure looks like an implantation dip to me...:
I think I am finally ovulating. I thought I was all geared up to o the week before our vacation, but maybe I stressed my ovaries out and they postponed the event. I will have to try real hard to not get over stressed this week at work getting caught up, don't want to scare the egg away again!
catemom, you were working on affirmations before I left, how is that going? Any you would like to share?
Hope everyone had a good weekend.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#30 of 399 Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

welcome lrlittle! I recently moved and do not have a regular doctor yet. I will have my thyroid checked again soon (I am on medication) and need to find one. but unless I'm going in for a yearly blood screening I do not talk about nutrition with any practicioner. not my gyn either. however, if I were to seek out acupuncture/TCM help, I would probably mention it because it's a more holistic approach and takes that into account. have you ever had any negative experiences with your midwife/OB?

snowbell, what is in the prenatal? isn't there calcium and iron already in there? I know some people have a hard time with iron but I've never had an issue. I'm scared of getting too much, too I make sure to eat some dried fruits daily (apricots, dates) and sometimes buy fortified juice. I just got my period : so I am taking an iron supplement maybe once or twice while bleeding.
calcium I do take, I also drink fortified soy or nut milks. The next one I'll buy will be calc/mag combined though.

veganmama, if the spotting doesn't continue I'm for you!

snow pea yay for ovulating!!! how was your trip??

catemom, I love your positive outlook. I even spent a long time looking at the cherry tree at my parents' and will keep the blossoms as my fertility mantra, thanks to your suggestions.

me: well, temps stayed up but that didn't keep AF from coming. I did spot only one day as opposed to two, and my lp is fine. trying to be positive positive positive and not letting any negative thoughts influence my body, but it's hard.

hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page